Naida Lumity Roger Accessories

My mom is going to demo the Phonak Naida Lumity. Currently has Phonak bolero marvel. She has always used a clip-on, but with past hearing aids, the Roger Pen and Roger Select did not help much. Reading this forum I see positive reviews for Roger On, Roger Select, and Roger Table Mic. She is elderly, so her “noisy” environments are usually dinners at home, friends and restaurants, or social events. Plus I would like a better TV solution. First Phonak TV connect worked great for her. Second one did not. Any recommendations on which accessories to demo?

From reading the forum, I see she will also need a receiver. Any recommendations there as well? She is not super tech savy, but better than the average person her age in part d/t her hearing loss. She uses the phonak app for her current aids, but just the basics. That said, she got her current HA in Nov 2019, then Covid arrived 3 months later, so she was not out in various environments such as movies, restaurants, so I don’t know how much she would have advanced with the myPhonak app if that had not happened.

Thank you.

@JP1 Welcome to the forum, and I hope you will find here what you are looking for.
Is it possible you can add your mom’s audiogram, so the amazing people on this forum can give you a better advice?

-Phonak TV connector should be the same a part from few versions (V1, V2) but they should do same job, so you should expect a similar result, unless if one is defective.
-Clip-on 1.1 mic and Roger Select you already have should work with the Naida Lumity.
-Roger On V1/V2 is quiet expensive, but if you can try before you buy, that would be a good option.

Good luck

Thank you for your response. I just e-mail her audiologist to see if she can e-mail me the audiogram. I am not sure why second version of TV connect didn’t work as well. Probably should have tried an exchange.

In the meantime, mom has a significant hearing loss. Clarity is a big issue even when volume is sufficient. Others have taken her to appointments the past 1 1/2 years, but I think her speech recognition is around 50%.

Her audiologist sees her every 3 - 4 months so she can make any adjustments if needed, and has mom’s ear wax removed, all to keep mom’s hearing as optimal as it can be.

1 Like

Lumity and Paradise support both Phonak ADP 2.0 and NAL-NL1, NAL-NL2, DLSv5.0 fitting formulas

Phonak Lumity vs Paradise vs Marvel hearing aids 1

If her word recognition is down to 50% that may explain why newer tech (TV Connect and Roger devices) isn’t helping as much. Her hearing may be getting notably worse. Depending on how important hearing is to her and how bad her word recognition really is, it might be worth considering getting a cochlear implant eval.

@JP1 Others have given comments on the aids so I will give my comments on the roger accessories. BTW, I am not sure what your definition of elderly is but I am in my 85th year so probably qualify :slight_smile: I have all three, the Roger On iN, Roger Select and the Roger Mic ll. In the table position I can not hear any difference between them. The Roger On has the advantage of being able to be used as a pointer. I find that especially great when I am talking one on one in a noisy environment or in a doctors office where everyone still wears masks. The Roger On can also be clipped to the talker. That is especially good in the car when I am driving and my wife is beside me or in the back seat. As you know, the Select can also be clipped to the talker but I find that is a little more awkward. In short, used in the table position I would rate them about the same but the Roger on gets my vote for pointing and wearing. The table mic ll is the best in restaurants or meeting. If you are only using one it is probably similar in performance to the Select or Roger On. The great benefit is that you can use two or three and network them together to place them around a large table or in a room with people seated in different places. Since you already have the licenses (also called receivers) which were necessary to use the Select your mother already has, she will not need additional licenses/receivers for other Roger mics. I purchased two used Table Mic ll’s on Ebay for $199 each. Like your mother, I already had licenses/receivers from a previous purchase. So my solution is the Roger On for normal every day use (I always have it in my pocket) and the table Mic ll’s when I am at a restaurant or meeting. The Select is just sitting on a shelf unused. The Roger on is also an excellent TV connector when the base is connected to the TV with an optical cable. Your mothers Select can also be used as a TV connector. Just connect the base to the TV with an optical (Toslink) cable. I just tried that and it works well.

4 Likes

I am not too familiar with fitting formulas. Audiologist had tried various settings over the years. Perhaps some of that is fitting formulas.

She won’t do cochlear. The potential loss of existing hearing scares her. A good friend had one last year, so I thought a positive experience might encourage mom. Instead, her friend developed an infection requiring hospitalization. Eventually they had to remove the implant.

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Mom never bought the Select or any of the other accessories other than clip on, so she doesn’t have any receiver license. I was not aware of that need until I saw it on this forum in other threads, so trying to evaluate which receiver format is best. The entire family could tell the accessories were not really helping in noisy environments. Her audiologist is generous with the demo time frame, so we had lots of opportunity for the last two hearing aids.The HAs themselves made a huge difference. She heard better than she had for years. I hope Lumity will provide at least some recognizable improvement in noisier environments.

(You are old enough to be my mom’s baby brother!)

Even if she absolutely won’t do cochlear an eval can still be helpful. It can give you an idea of how much hearing aids might help. After a point it’s kind of pointless looking for better hearing aids in my opinion. Yes, bad things can happen with a cochlear implant, but the vast majority go pretty well. A LOT depends on how much she wants to hear.

She won’t agree to the eval. She strongly believes the hearing she does have is better than no hearing should a cochlear implant result in the loss of her existing hearing. That is not an irrational belief. Maybe it does not make sense to you, and I do still occasionally ask her about cochlear, but it is her hearing, not mine. It is also not pointless to demo new hearing aids. If she hears 5% better, that is 5% better. If she hears 5% better in noisy environments, she hears 5% better. If she does not hear better, she will not buy them. Discouraging someone from even trying for some improvement just because they will not try the method you think they should and insinuating they may not want to hear is not helpful and, quite honestly, borderline unkind.

Sorry if I offended. This YouTube video of Dr. Cliff’s does a better job of what I was trying to explain.

1 Like

This is what the Roger can do, there are two options.

RogerDirect

2 Likes