MyMusic disappointment

Haha, good one, @SpudGunner . Your Zamphir CD can sure do away with the fine attributes of the AirPods’s thundering bass for sure.

Hello Samuel, I have the Oticon More 1, and I am astonished that your having such problems??
Can you post or send a screenshot of your settings & your hearing Test?
I myself Stream and Listen a High end setup Atmos and it (they) work perfectly.

I crafted a new music program for my Oticon More 1 based on the Phonak Lumity. I used NAL-NL2, which seems to be the closest option Genie 2 offers to Phonak’s proprietary fitting formula. Then I tweaked the frequencies I know that need to be lowered a bit. This early version is already considerably better than all my previous experiences with MyMusic. It sounds great for both streamed music and my two guitars.

As it is often stressed on this forum, much of hearing improvement comes from good implementation. I guess the same goes for manufacturers and their “modeling” choices (fitting formula, compression rates, gain targets, MPO, etc.). I will be sure to peruse other’s companies fitting software from now on :wink: .

3 Likes

My understanding is most all proprietary formulas start with that as a basis b

1 Like

I have Oticon Real 3 and MyMusic is great for me I can hear the upper register like I used to 30 years ago.

The MyMusic enables the full music Dinamics and Frequency range of the music.

It has nothing to do with ones Likes/Dislikes of the music.

I believe the setting can be done ONLY on iPhoes NOT on Androids, is that correct?

Not sure what you’re trying to get at here. No matter how well Oticon thinks they have designed the MyMusic program to be, it’s still subject to people’s like or dislike of it. It’s the opinion of the wearer that matters. OK, you may think MyMusic is great for you, it doesn’t mean that it’s great for others who don’t like it.

Nobody said that the MyMusic program doesn’t enable the full music dynamic or does not enable the frequency range of the music. The criticism is in the “colorization”/“equalization” at certain frequency ranges. It may sound great for a certain type of music, but it may become non-authentic/inaccurate for other types of music. MyMusic is as good or as bad as the listener judges it to be.

2 Likes

1st off, you have the Real 3, which lacks the most important features for the full range dynamics, and frequency range of music. So there’s that.
The Real 1 and Real 2 have what Oticon chooses to label Clear Dynamics, which is their way of defining high dynamic input levels in dB SPLs.
Since your model only allows up to 105dB SPL input levels, higher energy audio is clipped, and you get limited fidelity.
Also, the Real 3 has a fitting range up to 8khz, which is not the full frequency range.
These are just some tech details you should be aware of.
The MyMusic program uses a fitting rationale Oticon devised based on the Harmon target, which emphasizes the Bass and upper mid-range frequencies, which most people do enjoy.

As @Volusiano mentioned, this works great for you, and according to general survey results up to 70% of listeners enjoy the Harmon target, but for those 30% that do NOT enjoy this formula, it is very difficult to use MyMusic!
I am in no way trying to offend or argue with you, but only give you the other side of the coin, based on techical facts, and in my case, my opinion.
I’m very happy you are enjoying your music, and I hope you continue to do so.

I agree fully with you and another has pointed out that my Real 3 is limited in frequency range compared to Real 1 which is the best in Oticon range.
Thank you.

Thank you for your explanation.
I have responded to Voluciano.
I am thankful for the Forum and the members.

I’m glad you are objective, and found our information informative.
We are here to help each other, and look forward to having you join in the discussions as a official Oticonian!

1 Like

flashb 1024,
Thank you. Some Tech question ti you (ir anyone else) whi wish to reply.

1. When AUD tests for hearibg loss, what range of frequency do they test to?
  2. Technically, upto what range can they test to?
  3. Having read & seen the graphic of Oticon MyMusic paper, can technology be able to make a person hear the full spectrum? Or does AGE destroy the sensors ( can’t remember the wird fir it) in the ear?

I know you’re asking @flashb1024 . But it’s pretty obvious if you look at your own audiogram that most audiometry test only goes up to 8 KHz. Most hearing aids don’t go above 10 KHz. Usually amplification for hearing impaired people above 10 KHz yields very little return on investment, even if they try to do it. It’s just not worth the cost of HA mfgs to go above 10 KHz. Then they’ll have to sell more expensive aids and lose out to HA mfgs who sell less expensive aids because they don’t have to invest in products that go past 10 KHz. Besides, the main focus of hearing aids is on speech understanding. Music reproduction is a secondary goal, and again most hard of hearing folks can’t discern much of anything above 10 KHz to be bothered with going past that anyway.

1 Like

As @Volusiano replied, there’s no way to regain the whole spectrum.
With the higher tech level HA there are enough eq points to go up to 10khz, but it may just not be attainable depending on your loss.
Here’s an explaination of the causes of age related hearing loss.

Thank you very much. I shall enjoy MyMusic as long as I can.

Thank you very much for the article. I appreciate it.

I am disappointed in My Music on my loaner Oticon Intents but my experience is the opportunity of yours for some weird reason.

When i switch from General to My Music, the mids and highs feel like they’re twice as loud and the bass is a lot less, or maybe overpowered by the intense highs and mids. I cannot listen to music on the My Music setting unless reduce the volume in the Companion app two steps. Even then it still sounds nasty.

My current Oticon Opn S doesn’t have this problem - the Music program has the same settings as my General program except compression has been reduced, frequency shifting is disabled, etc - the usual stuff they tell audis to adjust for music.

The difference between my Opn S and the loaner Intents in General mode are small and aren’t obvious at first. Only the Music settings are terrifyingly different.

My audi says she didn’t configure the My Music setting- i guess you get whatever the HAs decide for you.

I wonder why my experience is so different than yours, but just as crummy in the opposite direction?

I have the typical ski slope hearing loss of people who’ve been exposed to too much loud music over the decades.

The MyMusic setting is built-in like that and is not configured by your HCP. Many people don’t like it and have to adjust it into their liking over several iterations.

The OPN S has the original legacy built-in Music program which is different than MyMusic. Most folks like the original legacy Music program just fine, until Oticon thought they were so smart and introduced MyMusic and just presumed that everybody for sure is going to love it → wrong! It wouldn’t be as bad if they had left the original legacy Music program around so that folks can choose which one they prefer. But no, they had to get rid of the legacy Music program for good and shove MyMusic down everyone’s throat.

Anyway, all is not lost. You can just get your HCP to try and mimic the original Music program back on the Intent if you want, by making a copy of the General program, then copy all the gain values that are in your OPN S Music program into it, as well as match all the other settings on this customized Music program to be the same as the original built-in Music program. Hopefully it’ll get you as close back to the original Music program as possible, as long as you make sure that the base formula is from the General program and is not from the new MyMusic program.

Also, it’s interesting to read that you find the difference between your OPN S General program and the Intent General program only incrementally small and not significantly better. But maybe your hearing loss is only mild to begin with, hence the smaller difference in improvement.

My music is not for streaming, like Amazon Music, it’s for listening to music at concerts or through speakers.