My recent eval: Savia Art/Starkey Destiny

by the way…

the pulse has something call enviromental steering, which is really nothing more than a dual attack and release time, When oticon introduce the epoq this feature was called true dynamics…

Gn has been by far the most understimated HA company…

the air i think was the 1st open instrument… clearly ahead of its time

Iolite Vaporiser

Thanks XBuilder:

You really help a lot of people on this forum. Will bring info to my Audi.

I think if I could design my own hearing aid; I would have a digital aid with one program to allow manual directional (ability to turn off omni or rear mic)and perhaps couple digital noise reduction programs to utilize. Of course, remote control would be nice too.

I can dream.

Similar to automatic transmission in a car that has option of manual shift so driver has more control when needed.

Thanks again.

My Azure mini BTE came with seven programs. Only four of which can be turned on, in the software, for use at a time and become set (user unadjustable without software). You get to decide which programs you want. The other Azure mini BTE has a volume control on the outside of each unit and adaptive learning. One is the D1 and the other the V1, I think. I know what adaptive learning is, but is it, and the volume control, better than what is in the other unit? I am confused as to which of the two would be better and why. I wish I could get a clear explaination between the two minus the ReSound Azure buzzword explainations of things.:o

My audie indicated that the volume control version only has one mic, since the volume control sits about where a second mic is located. I’d rather have the two mics than a mic and a volume control.

trainable hearing aids is the next big think in hearing aids, this is almost a standart feature in all high end products, GN azure, Phonak Savia, Oticon Epoq, Siemens Centra, Unitro YUU, etc…
basically, over time the instrument begin to learn your volume preferences…
for example if you tend to lower the volume in noisy enviroments, over time
the instrument will learn and detect a pattern and therefore will apply this
preference so that you as a consumer do not have to do it constantly…
dif manufacturers call them diferent names, but they basically the same…

One small improvement is Oticon Epoq where it also volume and I think something else was also optimized (i dont recall of the top of my head)…

this in 2-3 yrs time will be standart in most mid price aids,…

LoveAngie

So in the one Azure (AZ6o-V1) I get a volume control (with the ability for the unit to learn the settings and switch automatically), automatic program selection made for you and one microphone on each unit. In the other model (AZ6o-D1) Azure I get 2 microphones with better hearing adaption for speech (adaptive directionality), manual program changes, a computer set overall volume w/no manual outside adjustment, no adaptive learning, and a wind noise canceler.:confused:

It says, onReSounds web site, that my unit (D1) has “Softswitching automatic program selection”. But on my Azure D1’s I have to manually select the program I want via the buttons on the top of the HA’s (???).:confused:

I have another “tuning it up” session with the Audi on the 3rd of Jan. After I tune up some of the minor issues I will give it a day or two and then publish my owners review/report. I am thinking that the Azure will be the one to stick with.:slight_smile:

So, after six weeks returned the Savia ART, and Stark Destiny to Audi.

I found the automatic noise reduc system in the Savia would change capriciously from max to mild reduc every minute to minute and half. It does not learn; and not useful. The manual noise reduc (we set in moderate) reduced speech too much.

Destiny Auto(noise reduc) program would change every 20 seconds (good lord) manual nosie reduc program (we also set in moderate) had terrible background reverberation and not better than my old Starkey with direcitonal mics.

I am following XBuilder’s recommendation to try next week(older generation) Widex Bravissimo (digital) which has a toggle for volume, yeah!) and old fash direc mics. You can click on front mic )directional or both Omni in calm listening. Gives a 30 db reduc in noise from sides to back. Also, Starky Cierra (similar)Of course, you must be facing away from noise, not always possible.

My Audi also looking for new generation aid without the auto noise reduction feature. Hoping for maybe two manual noise reduciton channels . So can set one to mild, other to moderate. (manual vol control a must)

XBuilder (anyone) know of such system’

Thanks again

thanks a lot, i believe i know about the same as most audi´s
cheers,

Are you currently in BTE’s. If so, is there a reason a CIC has not been considered?

Vaporizer Guide

softswithing is a fancy way of calling that the directional microphones change
automatically… I believe im right on this one…

resound does not change between program to my knowledge only phonak does (is this right?)

XBuilder:

Again, preciate all ur help. In prev msg u seem to indicate that GN Azure could have auto noise reduc set to manual adaptive so not change. (maybe I not clear) My Audi says not poss. Sim to Savia, not possible.

We are look for new gen hearing aid with two noise reduc programs that we can set to manual. We want turn off auto so Audi can set one to mild reduc other to mod or max reduc. I have choice of two programs of noise reduc that do NOT change.

Cn u think of any??

I thank you, my Audi thanks you.

im at home. please send me your email so that i can take picturs of the azure
and how it can have more than one noise reduction, i still believe it is posible but i will double check… by the way, i think you can get this feature in other instruments shuch as the metrix, and i think even the pixel

Nit picking. Lucky1man: I don’t think any aid with intrinsic close spaced mikes can give a 30db directional pattern.

The ability of multi-mike directional systems to pick up in one direction and to attenuate in other directions is called the Directional Index (DI) measured in decibels.

The max practical DI is about 12 and because of drift (in the parts) about 10 db or less is the usual max. Most aids are lucky to achieve 6db. But even 6db results in better comprehension in noisy environments. Ed

Thanks for input.

The 30 db is from the literature published by Starkey for their analog MMVP sequel circa yr 2000.

This the aid i presently own. Dont know if that is valid claim; but so far provides MUCH better noise reduciton than present generation Phonak Savia and Stareky 1600/1200. (for me)

The MMVP has two mics and is Mechanical (my terms) it simply shuts off the rear mic Completely.

Old fashioned, but it works. Sigh.