My recent DIY journey -- Phonak V90s, preparing for M90s

All diagrams show insertion gain for the Calm Situation program. They are in chronological sequence.
The heavy lines are for 80, 65, and 50 dB speech inputs. The light lines are the formula targets. The upper gray line is the gain limit.
The Feedback and real ear test was run for each side unless otherwise indicated, but to reduce clutter feedback thresholds are not shown.
Changes from the previous fitting are in bold type.

Fitting 1, Dec. 18, 2019 (saved audiologist fitting)

audiogram: Aug. 22, 2019
coupling: R: open dome; L: cShell (custom mold) with Acoustically Optimized Venting
fitting formula: Adaptive Phonak Digital with L open dome incorrectly set in acoustic parameters

Fitting 2, Dec. 22, 2019

audiogram: Dec. 21, 2019
coupling: R: closed dome; L: cShell (custom mold) with Acoustically Optimized Venting
fitting formula: Adaptive Phonak Digital

Fitting 3, Dec. 26, 2019

audiogram: Dec. 26, 2019 Audiogram Direct (in situ)
coupling: R: closed dome; L: cShell (custom mold) with Acoustically Optimized Venting
fitting formula: Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast

Fitting 4, Dec. 26, 2019

audiogram: Dec. 26, 2019 Audiogram Direct (in situ)
coupling: R: Power Dome; L: cShell (custom mold) with Acoustically Optimized Venting
fitting formula: Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast with no Feedback and real ear tests

Fitting 5, Dec. 27, 2019

coupling: R: Power Dome; L: cShell (custom mold) with Acoustically Optimized Venting
fitting formula: Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast with no Feedback and real ear tests

Fitting 6, Dec. 28, 2019

coupling: R: Power Dome; L: cShell (custom mold) with no vent (occluding)
fitting formula: Adaptive Phonak Digital Contrast

Fitting 7, Dec. 29, 2019

fitting formula: DSL v5a Adult with no Feedback and real ear tests

Fitting 8, Dec. 29, 2019

fitting formula: DSL v5a Adult with no Feedback and real ear tests
manual: all gains linearly increased

The goal of this adventure is to increase speech intelligibility. My current WRS scores are 75-80%, down from 96-100% five years ago, with the usual result of saying “what?” and wanting closed captions for TV movies. To that end I’m willing to accept complete occlusion if necessary – I currently have that in my left as of a few days ago. When I swap my current V90s for M90s next week, I’ll be starting with Power Domes but likely requesting custom molds soon.

I’ve had Target software for almost five years and until recently mostly used it to change device options – which buttons do what. I’ve been studying recently, but I accept that I don’t really know what I’m doing. I will very much appreciate any assistance.

1 Like

You have mentioned Phonak V90 aids a number of times.
Which V90 aids do you have?

Which M90 aids are you buying?

Audéo Venture 90-312; Audéo Marvel 90-312.

2 Likes

Curious to see what you think about your new Audeo M90 aids.

I own the Venture, Beyond and have trialed the KS9 aids.
The biggest differences I have noted is AutoSense and directionality. The newer aids are much better.

As far as speech recognition I feel like the Beyond aids are as good as the Marvels or very close. I did not get to tune the KS9 aids for best recognition.

I recently tried three different fitting algorithms with Audeo B90 aids. Each change from the original tuning with Phonak digital adaptive decreased speech recognition. I feel like each of these fitting algorithms could have been fine tuned to get speech recognition back to where it originally was, maybe better, I don’t know. It led me to believe the fitting algorithms had less to do with speech recognition than simply getting the aids tuned best in any algorithm for your personal best speech recognition.
Your mileage may vary on this. We are all different.

What do you do when you tune for your best speech recognition?

Hard question to just answer.

Part of the process I do is tune one aid at a time by removing an aid and taking notes. Then do the same with the other. This has been a big thing for my messed up hearing loss.
Pushing gains up in areas for speech.
Lowering gains for the typical dishes clashing noise.
Sound Recover 2 is aggressively used.
Other settings for noise or echo etc.

I use one manual program with maximum sound reduction for speech in noisy places. Thinking about trying some stuff Don has done.