These new Phonaks are unreliable and my audiologist is unsatisfactory. She goes in the back room and when she comes back they’re working. And she says that she just put in a new battery. But she never does that in my presence.
MOST of the time when I put in a new battery it doesn’t work, and then after I try 8 or 10 new batteries it starts working. I’ve bought batteries at the drugstore, through eBay and Amazon, and even gotten them from the audiologist.
Sometimes I just pretend to change the battery, and that works! I take it out, wipe it with a clean cloth or Kleenex, carefully replace it rightside up while firmly assuring good contact is made (as much as possible), and try it out.
If I finally get a battery to work then I just dread the battery running down and I have to start over again. As a result I’m only getting partial and erratic use from the Phonaks.
I change the wax trap every time that changing the battery fails to produce good results, which is just about every time I change the battery. Doesn’t fix the problem. I also bought a little HA warming gadget to dry the HA, because I thought maybe the clear tube was plugged. Very seldom works.
I’ve spent a small fortune on batteries and wax traps that I threw away, and I bet that 90% were perfectly OK.
I don’t think the batteries are the problem because they always register GOOD on the 3 HA battery testers I’ve got. I think the Phonak itself is erratic. But when I complain to the audiologist she looks at me like I’m a child. Maybe she thinks “this 76 yr. old creep can’t handle the modern world”. But I have 2 engineering degrees and designed high-tech military receivers for years. I’m also expert at digital systems and software.
IMO there’s an intermittent circuit in the Phonaks. Or maybe that clear acoustic tube has a poor fitting. I don’t know because I have no way to test that.
I look forward to getting a DIY HA that I can monitor and control myself.