My new Seimans Touching - a success story

For quite awhile my wife kept saying that I needed a hearing aid, and I would respond that she was just mumbling.

Well I visited an audiologist at Kaiser, and found out, that I really did need a hearing aid, but I went into shock over the typical prices people are paying them. I asked myself “what to people of limited income in poor countries buy.” Searching the internet and lurking on different forums brought me to the very inexpensive Siemens Touching from China. I figured that for less than $90.00 shipped from a warehouse in California I would give it a try. If it was junk, I would not be out much.

The hearing aid arrived within 3 days of placing the order on Ebay. It appeared to be a quality product, and it was very easy to cut the plastic tube and fit it to my ear. I made two adjustments to the tiny trimmer and it worked great! I am happy, my wife is happy, and being a ham radio operator, I have talked to many people about it, and probably generated another 10 or more customers for it.

After about 3 months of use I decided that I would like to try a custom ear mold. When I called around no one wanted my business, because I didn’t buy the hearing aid from them. I guess they were making way too much money to bother with a little extra business, so it was back to the internet where I found Lloyd Hearing Aid Corp. For a very reasonable price, they sent me a kit with enough stuff to make 2 impressions of my ear. I sent it all back, and a little over week later I had my new custom ear mold which fits my ear perfectly. I also ordered some spare tubes for it so now I am good for a long time. The ear mold just made my Siemens Touching even better. As a side note, I am getting almost three weeks life from the Radio Shack batteries.

Are there better hearing aids out there? absolutely, but not better enough to me to justify the incredible cost difference.

For a little over $100.00, I am hearing great, and will probably buy another Siemens Touching or a different model in the same line for a backup. I know that lots of folks are too intimidated to do this on their own, but I am 75 years old, and if I can set myself up, anyone can.

This was my experience, “your mileage may vary.”

Regards - David

David,
Could you post the website where you found the hearing aids from china.

I posted a link for a seller on ebay but I noticed that they also sell batteries. Don’t want to irritate the forum owners. Just do a search for Seimans touching. You can find them on ebay here in the US for the same price. Also take a look at Audicus and Embrace hearing. They have some good deals also.

David wrote:

"After about 3 months of use I decided that I would like to try a custom ear mold. When I called around

no one wanted my business,

because I didn’t buy the hearing aid from them. I guess they were making way too much money to bother with a little extra business, so it was back to the internet where I found Lloyd Hearing Aid Corp. "

Fitters who won’t make molds … Should get a big black mark. They show no interest in helping us.

Same as fitters who refuse to adjust to my audiogram.

Hooray for Lloyd’s. And for Costco.

COSTCO, again, takes the high road. Molds from Westone, $49. Fine quality.

Let’s give our custom to fitters who are consistently helpful, not to money grabbers.

Do you agree?

Elijah

Google Siemens Touching you will find at least 2 US based suppliers for 85.00 with free shipping.I am glad that solution worked so well for you.

As I pposted elsewhere, I am also extremely satisfied with my pair of Siemens Touching aids that I have been wearing every day since March of 2012. They sound better and are more reliable than my $3000 pair of Phonak custom ITE digital aids. I also get about three to four weeks of battery life wearing the aids continuously for 14 hours a day. I didn’t even bother with a custom earmold because I find the included medium eartip to be so comfortable and non-occluding. For less than $200 a pair, they are a great value and cheaper than the cost of repairing one of my Phonak aids. Gerald

Yes ! I have used the Siemens/Lotus touching and also their higher-end products.
Better than nothing, and much better and safer than most of the “personal sound amplifiers”
that go for 20 or 30 bucks in magazines, etc.
I prefer domes over molds for comfort, but that’s me. The molds may give you a little more
apparent gain, but often more occlusion.

The $2000 hearing aids are not 20 times better than the Touchings, maybe 2x better…

Everyone should get a hearing test audiogram regardless, usually covered by your medical plan.
If you loss is more than 60 or 70 db., the Siemens/Lotus SP models have more gain (power)
that you might be needing, those are 200 to 300 bucks each.