My Jabra Enhance Pro 20 review

I use a 13 mini, and, aha … yes, there it is. Now, I just need to remember to test it out in both settings. In large measure my complaint was with the initial volume of signal going to the hearing aids for me to hear the call. The audiologist jacked that up a bit and now it’s tolerable. I’d forgotten these had a way to use the internal mics as the outbound transmitter!

I confess to rarely using the app, especially with the OPN 1s.

Thanks for the education.

Googling “iPhone Mic Input”, the Starkey HA support website comes up and says:

2-Way Audio Mic Input Options

On: iOS is using the hearing aid microphone for voice pick-up during a call.
Off: Hearing aid user is required to speak into iPhone or iPad microphone during calls. Call audio is still streamed to the hearing aids.

NOTE: This setting cannot be changed during an active phone call.

Jim G

1 Like

Ok I feel dumb. I know I have see the Mic input button in my screens on my phone, but for the life of me, I can’t find it again. I tried looking while not streaming, not on call, on a call or streaming. I do see it on my apple watch but this just seems to error out.

Where is it again?

I tested again last night, called my work voicemail and talked into the mic on my iphone, then put it under a blanket and talked. It is definitely using the phone mics as under the blanket everything was muffed and my apple watch says mics are off.

1 Like

Triple-click screen:

2 Likes

Strange, under the volume slider on mine I have tone and a slider for treble and bass. The only thing I can think of is that I bought a used phoneclip and a multi mic and those are paired to my HA’s. I have both off but who knows.

My ReSound Omnia controls when I bring up the Accessibility hearing settings:

I don’t “triple-click” my right iPhone power button. I’m always loathe to test the mechanical durability of buttons on my phone. I swipe down from the top on the very right side of my phone. That brings up the iPhone Control Center. I have installed the Hearing widget (Settings, Control Center, add the widget there if you don’t have it already). Here’s my Control Center screen and the Hearing widget is in the lower left of the screen (the EAR symbol). Tapping it opens the controls shown in the first screen capture of this post.

BTW, the “Battery 100%” is the level of my zinc-air size 13 batteries in my Omnias, not the level of my iPhone SOC. Jay is likely using zinc-air batteries, too, since he’s also at 100% in his screenshot two posts above! :slightly_smiling_face:

Michael, this whole thread is helpful. I don’t have an Apple Watch yet, but will soon, and I was wondering if it connected ok to a Jabra from Costco. That would be a plus. Thank you for the review of the Jabra. There are lot of details to consider when first getting much needed aids.

1 Like

Yea the EP20s from Costco

Not sure what’s going on with mine

My wife says when I turn off the HA mics via the Hearing widget mic button, the phone calls sound a lot louder and clearer with my voice input through the iPhone phone mics. She said I don’t sound like I’m down at the end of a tunnel with the HA mics, but my voice is just very soft compared to voice input via the mics on the iPhone. If I turn up the “microphone levels” via the sliders in the Hearing Widget, she says my voice is louder but still relatively soft, and I am amplifying background noise levels, too.

I have separate right and left ear controls in my screenshot above of the Hearing widget screen because in Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, MFI Hearing Devices, I have turned on the slider “Adjust Independently” for no good reason (My Jabra Enhance Pro 20 review - #16 by jim_lewis). When I am in a call, the mic input button disappears from the Hearing screen, which goes along with what I’ve read that you can’t switch hands-free calling on or off while in a call. If I turn off the Adjust Independently slider, here’s what my Hearing widget screen looks like:

From now on, I’ll probably turn off mic input from my hearing aids and use my iPhone mics so my voice sounds as loud and clear to my callers as possible.

1 Like

What is an MR&IE? Sorry. I’m just not familiar with that term

How can you hear people speaking from behind you

I guess this HA window (Accessibility on iPhone) looks different depending on which version of iPhone one has? Mine is older and looks different. It shows no mic control.

M&RIE stands for Microphone and Receive in ear. Instead of there just being a receiver (the part that makes the noise) in your ear, M&RIE also has a tiny microphone on the back of the receiver.

It helps (me) a bunch with the ability to localize sound. For me, coming from phonak marvels, it’s night and day. With my marvel’s, if one of my kids was playing a youtube video on their phone I just heard it in my hearing aids. I would have to look around the room to see where it was coming from. With M&RIE I can determine where that sounds is coming from way better.

3 Likes

From a cursory web search, it looks like one needs iPhone 11 or newer to support handsfree calling, which for GN ReSound devices debuted with the ReSound One hearing aid. ReSound Announces Hands-Free Calls for One Hearing Aids (hearingaidknow.com)

Michael Grossman-this is Donald Langford - married to Carol Klein - double cousin to your mother! Do you have a Costco store there?

1 Like

Thanks. I’m about to get the Pro 20 (have the 10), and a new iPhone, so I’ll be set.

3 Likes

I haven’t read all the posts in this thread, so I apologize if somebody already suggested this, but I had terrible call quality (for person on the other end) when I was using the LE audio connection. When I turned it off and just used Bluetooth, everything sounded fine to them and I haven’t had any any complaints since.

I’m about to get MIE installed on my Enhance Pro 20s. I have quite narrow (and short?) ear canals, they have told me. I hope the addition of the mic to the line-up of stuff attached to the dome that goes into the ear will not be more than I have comfortable room for. Does anyone have any idea about this? I’ll learn more in 2 weeks when I get the installation.

I would hope your Costco HCP can advise you on this. It probably makes a difference if your canal takes a sharp turn, too. The receiver is supposed to go far enough into the ear canal that the M&RIE mic is just at the opening of your ear canal. My left ear canal is short and narrow and takes a sharp turn. I have custom ReSound molds, and the M&RIE mics protrude out of my ear canals a little bit, about at the end of my tragus, whereas the ideal place is about the opening of the intertragic notch in terms of depth in the ear canal. I still think the sound is excellent, have a good sense of sound localization, and get pretty good wind suppression compared to the sound from the mics on the bodies of my Omnias, which are selectively on, the M&RIE mics off, in Front Focus mode.

Perhaps for someone wearing domes, the receivers can be inserted further in the ear. Don’t know if a power dome works for you, but with your loss, custom molds might do the best job of preventing feedback from the M&RIE mics and retaining bass in your ear canals. I hope your HCP gives good advice and allows you to go back to standard receivers at no charge if you don’t like the M&RIE mics. My audi told me switching out would be no problem, but I paid for custom molds to try the M&RIE receivers.

Source: https://www.earthslab.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/helix.jpg

Me too. I think it’s worth the risk that I might not like them. Money means nothing in the world of hearing care, right?