My hearing loss and gain required?!

Hi the learned ppl

I have read quite a bit in last couple of days on this forum (my first peep in any form). My current hearing aid Rhapsody 400 is not doing the trick for me and I am thinking to buy Nitro but am left with few (rather scaring!) questions.

Firstly, below is my matrix:

Frequency/loss Left/loss Right

250/30/20
500/30/35
1000/40/40
2000/55/50
3000/45/55
4000/55/80
7000/55/65
8000/40/60

I am quite blank about how much gain I need. I am seeing terms used in various posts saying nirto 16 provides 118/55 etc.

For the loss above (no bone conduction loss at all) would any person please let me know how much gain I would need. And in case if I do wear powerful Nitro 130/70 would it be rather immensely harmful to my ears?

As an aside, what is difference between gain and output anyway. and what does a hearing aid actually do in this regard??

Please, please I desparately need an answer to put my mind to rest.

Many thanks in advance.

Because the Nitro has that much gain capability does not mean that the audi will use it all. So no, just because it has the capability the aid would not damage your ears unless programmed wrong.

If your loss is purly conductive…do you know why? Have you looked into other solutions for this?

Thanks for reply Jenny.

I am looking for answers from last night long.

I dont have any conduction loss (if this is what u asking). I do have a question that for a hearing loss of say 80db at 4K frequency, what does it actually mean and what a hearing aid with gain of 50 will actually do?

Please please do reply. Thanks.

Output (dB SPL) = Input (dB SPL) + Gain (dB)

Gain for a loss X db HL can often be X/2 dB … the Half Gain rule.
So, if you have a loss of say 60dB HL then need need a gain roughly in the region of 30dB.

Most sensorineural losses only want a maximum output of around 120 dB SPL.

Now a question for you: why are YOU deciding on what model aid you want to buy? Surely the dispenser will recommend the most appropriate aid?

As for worrying about that 4K 80dB loss … well, there’s not much speech data there so it’s not too important.

The Nitro is way too powerful for your loss. It may work, but it’s not the right aid to use.

I appreciate you explaining it Englishdispenser.

The reason for choosing a hearing model by myself is that I have lost my faith in the audis I have met so far. I live in Glasgow and got varied advices which I found quite contradictory.

Specsavers: Fitted me with Rhapsody CIC 400 last year but it never did the job for me.

David Ormerod: Said that CIC is never an option for my loss and recommended Phonak Exelia (£4650!).

Amplifox: Says that Nitro CIC is the best aid for me.

ALL I FIND IS A PRESSURE SELLING WITH EMPHASIS ON PROMOTING A PARTICULAR BRAND. AND I AM VERY VERY DISTRESSED. DONT FEEL LIKE LIVING ANY MORE…

Hence I will thoroughly thoroughly appreicate you tell me which one would be the right hearing aid for my kind of loss.

Also the question that because my hearing is ok in lower frequencies: saying that a CIC will block the sound at these frequencies and so open fit is the best buy. what does that mean?

Please please answer me.

I’d give the Starkey open vented CICs a go…I doubt you will notice any Occlusion.

Hello, he(she) forgives my bad(wrong) translation (i´m spanish), I use the available translator in Internet.
I have a doubt on the royal(real) profit of the headphone (gain), when it(he,she) refers to profit to level of the eardrum, of the ear(hearing), the profit refers to " Ear simulator " or to " 2cc coupler "? Which is the royal(real) profit of the headphone? If I look at the datasheet which is the royal(real) profit of the headphone, the ear simulator or 2cc coupler?
Thank you

Does this also apply for the losses 100db and beyond?

Back in the analogue days, a very very crude aproximation
1/3 for mild losses, 1/2 for moderate and 2/3 for severe to profound losses.
this are very very very crude approximation

I suppose the question that springs to mind is if you live in Glasgow then how come you are not being fitted for an NHS hearing aid? If it’s only because you are looking for a tiny little hearing aid that you are going private then you could look for the nearest model to the NHS prescription in a CIC aid. There are a few open-style CIC aids around now. The bit about getting a better fit with an open is that an open fitting will allow the frequencies in which your hearing is near-normal to received un-amplified and undistorted sounds directly from your environment. No hearing aid makes sound that is as good as just hearing with human ears, so the more you can hear with your ears the better. An open fitting will basically allow you to use your ears for low frequencies and the hearing aid for high frequencies. If you have a closed type of fitting you have to have the low sounds through the hearing aid too, as your ear is stopped up with a hearing aid.

Have you actually tried a behind the ear open fit style? Some of these are really, really tiny, and the NHS is taking on its first Receiver In the Canal (RITE/RITC) aids in August. The body of the hearing aid is really, really tiny. Have a look at the brochure on this site: http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/about_us/businesses/healthcare/impact.htm The Impact R may be suitable for your type of loss, I can’t tell because it doesn’t have the fitting stats with it, but it looks like it’s an NHS rebuild of the Siemens Pure 500. Not sure if Glasgow offers Siemens aids or another brand, but if you travel to St John’s Livingston they definitely dispense Siemens - I have a Siemens from them. Perhaps you will be surprised at how few people notice a BTE aid and then you could have some free ones, assuming you are not a foreign national whose status doesn’t entitle you to NHS treatment. I have the “M” version with some audio-shoes on the bottom and little receivers, the whole unit is a good 2 inches long but still nobody notices I have them. I’m a female with long hair, but it is tied in a pony tail all the time and nobody spots multi-coloured giant hearing aids with shiny gem stickers on them!

If you are going private to get better technology then you need to find out if you really need the top of the range. The NHS dispenses equivalent to middle of the range private aids, so it’s not worth your while buying the likes of a 500 model Siemens if you are entitled to NHS aids, it’s only the 700 that would be better than an NHS model. If it’s been a while since you tried the NHS hearing clinics then give them another whirl. Many areas are still insisting on dispensing only beige models, but they are better and prettier than ever before, and some areas even let you pick the colours.

Maybe if you tell us a bit more about your life and what you want out of hearing aids people will help guide you towards what is a good match so you don’t find yourself flailing around the net without really understanding the figures and neither are you at the mercy of sales people telling you that you must have the top of the range.

So many benefits for the Open fit models.

i am sorry to hear this , As for this problem , i will ask my friends, then i will tell you how to handle it