My hard ear mould makes my HA sound like a blown speaker!

One thing I am glad about is that it’s not because my HA is faulty!

2 Likes

Well I tried to wear my NHS Phonak P HA on my left side and I’m out of the fitting range for that as well as my new Phonak B90 M HA.

Programmed my NHS Phonak SP HA and that is working well.

My mid frequencies are now 110 dB and 115 dB with the hard ear mould.

My low and high frequencies stayed exactly the same.

Insitu-measurement? That’s about 20dB loss compared to your profile’s audiogram. I didn’t expect it to be that much :open_mouth:

@Dani yes the AudiogramDirect.

I was quite surprised as well. My hearing definitely hasn’t changed as with the soft ear mould, my hearing test is the same as normally.

The ear mould lab emailed me back and have agreed to remake the ear mould.

I’m trying to do some research on how a hard ear mould and soft ear mould are different in terms of how to cope with certain frequencies.

This is a very interesting subject at this time for me as well. I too am considering the hard molds. I just received the materials to make new impressions from Lloyd’s yesterday in the mail.
I am thinking this due to recent ear infections. Trying to understand why all of a sudden I am getting these infections. The new rechargeable aids have messed up my drying schedule each night. Putting the aids on the charger rather than putting them in the UV aid dryer.

It sure sounds like you are losing sound around your new hard mold.

I couldn’t find any Information comparing hard moulds to soft moulds. I wish I could.

I gave myself another hearing test and Altho the lows are the same (in terms of how quiet I can hear them), I reduced them by 5 dB and now my hard mould sounds even better despite my mid frequencies being worse.

I would definitely give hard ear moulds a try, just be prepared for it to sound slightly different, altho I don’t expect it to sound as bad as my one did.

1 Like

Got my new ear mould and my word it’s so much better. Audiogram is back to normal. Still sounds slightly different but I think that’s down to being a hard ear mould so doesn’t seal as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.
You mentioned not finding anything on hard verses soft molds. Try looking at Lloyd’s hearing aids website. They give a decent explanation of the purposes of different styles and materials of molds for any given hearing loss.

1 Like

I just got an email from Lloyd’s this morning about their recommendations for me using aggressive Sound Recover 2 settings with no gain in my upper frequency deaf zones. It was a surprise to me but they think hard lucite skeleton molds with Select A Vents.

I asked if receiver replacement would be an issue and if hard lucite would be better as far as ear infections go. We will see what they say. I like the idea of the Select A Vents. I have dealt with serious occlusion issues for a while. Figured it was just part of a bad hearing loss and wanting to hear speech.

I’ve just played around with the software. For me my left ear recommended 0.8mm vent but I have no SR2 settings at all. If I activate SR2 and make it go to the lowest settings, they recommend 1.2mm vent. So I’m quite surprised. Maybe you’ll do quite well with vents?

Take no notice of my last comment. I realise the change in vent side was actually down to reducing my lows by 5 dB.

Soft ear molds tend to absorb treble more than hard shell. It’s the bore material that counts. I have a hybrid ear mold that has a soft outer coating on a hard shell. If you have a sealed non vented ear mold and maybe a bit too much low end, and a borderline fit ear mold, you can get air pressure blow by which sounds like a blown speaker. Get some anti biotic ointment, coat the ear mold and see if that fixes the problem.