Thank you for asking! I’ve been meaning to update this thread for awhile but haven’t quite gotten around to it as we’re about to move houses and life has gotten insanely busy.
My pediatrician’s husband, who is a GP, followed up with my daughter the Monday after I last posted. He agreed that it looked like a small tear in her TM, but both of us thought it looked weird. He then squeezed some air into her affected ear, and since there was no give in the area that we thought was torn, he got his wife (my kids’ pediatrician) in to see it. Between the two of them, they decided that she doesn’t actually have a hole in her TM, but that she does have “some sort of shadow” on it. They’re going to follow up with her in 6 weeks, and if the shadow is still there, they will refer her on to an ENT. They also did a basic tuning fork test with her and found all frequencies to be mildly impaired in her right ear only, so they will also be following up with that in 6 weeks’ time as well. This seems reasonable to me. I’ll be looking at her ear once a week or so until she’s next seen, so I’m pretty confident that if anything goes awry, I should have some idea because I know what the weird “shadow” looks like; if it changes, I’ll know to have her seen.
From my daughter’s perspective, her hearing in the affected ear is no longer muffled, and from my perspective, she’s back to being able to hear a pin drop from another room - literally! - so the hearing loss seems to have resolved. I also spoke with the pediatric audiologist who did the baseline screening for my daughter, and she said that if I’m at all concerned, I could bring her in for a hearing test the same day I bring my son in for his 4-year-old baseline screening in September. She booked extra time for his appointment so that she can have the flexibility to fit my daughter in that day if need be. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the care she has received from both the pediatrician (and her husband) and the audiologist. They’ve gone above and beyond in my opinion.
I’m sure I’m just overly anxious about ear infections in my kids because I had so many when I was their age, and my right TM ruptured so many times, that I did have a “slight LF” loss in my right ear from childhood on. Add to that the fact that we know I have EVA in my right ear, I’m definitely inclined to be cautious. If either child ends up with EVA, I may want to be cautious about which activities I let them participate in. Then again, maybe I won’t. That will be a difficult decision to make if we ever have to. I’ll cross that bridge then…