My CI experience - The Diary of a Cochlear Implant

med-el

I am writing a diary of the journey of getting my first CI which I received December 5, 2017. I am really thrilled about how good it is even after just after 10 days of having it activated. Diary of a CI Comments are welcomed.

Thank you very much for sharing this!

Thank you for sharing your journey. I found it very interesting reading, as I myself have just started down the assessment journey for a CI as well.

Thanks, Deaf. I hope your experience will be as good as mine if you go ahead. I’ll add more to the diary soon - right now recovering from the flu and the meds that go with that.

@texboydmoore
Thank you for your diary. This is the first time I read an “afterhour” :wink: success-story for CI surgery. There is one thing that I miss: I don’t find an audiogram in your report, so I can compare your loss to mine. Actually I am trying new conventional hearing aids, but I guess my next pairs (in 6-10 years) need to be CIs. This is why I was interested in reading your story.
By the way, $120.000 for the whole change looks to be very much. I am glad to be in Germany because the insurances must pay for that. Isn’t this usual in the US, too?

Yes, Dani. Medicare does pay for it, but of course, that is my tax money - or my descendants to pay off eventually. :slight_smile: I will add the audiogram - that is a needed addition. Thanks. I go tomorrow for my next adjustment and will write a progress report afterwards. Boyd

By the way, I think the $120K cost is what a non-insured person would pay. Medicare always reduces that bill dramatically in their negotiations with the vendors. I finally caught on to that with outer Medicare reports that I receive.

Thanks for keeping your diary up to date. It is really interesting. Especially when you say that your music hearing ability is better than before. These are the things what undetermined people want to hear/read.

Yes - my Dr. told me not to expect the “musical” ear to improve much. I’m glad to say he was wrong, at least for me.

This stage beyond 6 months or so is a slower improvement time and not much to write about, but what I did write hopefully will help those in the early stages. Boyd