My check list for my first HA fitting

If this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, my apologies as I haven’t seen it.

I asked the forum question a couple of days ago of what would be a good checklist to bring to one’s first fitting. Judging by the responses, it seems my question was misunderstood. So to repeat my request by way of example, I put together my own list I’m bringing to my upcoming Costco appointment. Hopefully others will correct or add to it.

This list is based not on my personal experiences, which are minimal, but based on working with my wife who’s worn HA’s since the 60’s - she’s seen them all.

Things to test for and correct if possible:

Check for artificial sounds such as tinniness, static, excessive tonal imbalance such as too much bass/treble (see caveat at end of list).

Check response to loud transient sounds like claps, sneezes, coughs, etc. This is also a good time to test for excessive reverb which will affect clarity with other sounds like speech, music, and ambient noise.

Check for sound clarity at various angles to one’s head: front, back, sides.

Test for feedback. Move hand and phone towards ear.

Test phone for clarity using both at the ear, speaker phone, and wireless connection if available.

Test for speech comprehension in a noisy environment. For example at Costco one could go to a busy checkout line or the food court, or maybe walk out to a busy street. This is not a perfect test, but indicative if problems become apparent.

Check the sound of one’s own voice: is it audible, too loud, too bassy, muddled, etc.?

Be aware of the slightest physical discomfort as this will likely only increase over time.

If applicable, test your phone app with your HA’s for functionality.

Not something to check for, but to be aware of: It takes time for the brain to get used to new sounds, tonalities, and volumes. Perfection is not achievable with hearing aids, however acceptable compromises may be possible.

I’d add “check music quality” from iphone. I just received the Opn1 and the music sounded tinny and crackly. Wish I had listened at the audi’s office.

You are off to an excellent start. If you can bring a loved one with you that is helpful too. There is a lot of info to digest. You might find this webpage from HLAA helpful. Good luck!
http://hlaa-la.org/better-hearing/hearing-aids-visiting-an-audiologist/

Very helpful list. I printed it off and am taking to my KS8 fitting tomorrow. Thanks

Good luck. I hope you are stepping into a larger world.

Please let us know how this worked for you. Thanks.

Make sure they do speech mapping and preferably a QuikSin or HINT test to get an idea of how you will function in noise.