Music streaming quality, Phonak Audéo L90

Is that how loud it is? I was thinking about trying these, but you may have just talked me out of it.

1 Like

Try it, just check the return period.

The volume of the click is going to vary by ear canal size. If you happen to be on the unusually small ear canal side of the spectrum, you may find the click aversive. But there are obviously a lot of people who do not.

I would, however, expect that most people would want the vent close in the automatic program turned off so that they are either closing it manually or it is closing for streaming. Particularly with the lumities, versus the paradise, that move to the speech in loud program sooner (at a lower volume level). In the automatic program, if you are in a borderline noise situation it’s just going to be opening and closing and opening and closing and I can’t imagine anyone not finding THAT annoying. Also, closed for streaming means that you need to know enough about your phone to be able to find and turn off all unnecessary notifications, all auto-sound-while-scrolling on websites.

Even my paradise aids, it can be annoying! Our old church’s fellowship hall with very high arched wood ceiling was miserable even for those with good hearing. I found popping it into “comfort in echo” manually least worst. Then I’d forget to put it back to autosense. Oh well.

WH

Thank you for your suggestions. They are very helpful.

Your hearing loss is greater than mine…yet similar. I find that the closed domes (with two tiny holes) are the ones I choose. They make a wonderful difference for me compared to the open domes. I’ve had Power domes thrust upon me. I hate them; I don’t know if they were the right size.

I have the same hearing aids as you. I hate the tiny wax guards with a passion. I’ve finally given up on the hearing locks I’ve used for 20 years. They interfere with the horrible wax guard dispenser Phonak/Sonova chose. At least one time in three I found that the wax guard was in crooked when I went to change it. I miss the locks…

Do you find that your batteries die more quickly when using doctored programs on the APP?

DaveL

I tried that with my RICs, i found I always had the hissing or crackily sound . Maybe it’s my tinnitus or it’s something that can be fixed with setting changes, but as I use my BTE marvels the sound with streaming is 100% better essentially like a good pair of headphones(I do use molds though)
I’m curious to see if it’s because with the BTEs the speaker is in the hearing aid not the receiver. As someone who prefers to listen to rock music I definitely can become picky due to the amount of bass tones used.

@DeafAntifa

My friend has 2 sets of Marvels. One supported Adaptive Bluetooth and the other one only supported Standard Bluetooth. Then the crackling and stuff stopped.

They were identical pairs of Phonak Marvels and used the same iPhone.

When both were set with Adaptive Bluetooth, one pair crackled and one didn’t.

1 Like

I too am having a hard time to figure out my HA Streaming,there TruHearing Premiums Rechargeable (Signia Pure’s) and dont show up on the bluetooth on my iPhone.I bought them 1 week old on Fleabay for $125 w/Charger (what a Bargain) and there tuned to my hearing loss,Lady told me her Mom got them and had a Stroke a week later and passed,Im so sorry but blessed I buy all my HA on Fleabay.Have a Drawer ful of between 1-3 yr old model Signias.Need them set up to my Audigram.

I have the older Phonak M90 aids with custom molds.

This week there has been a problem with one of the receivers and the custom mold has gone to Phonak for a repair. While that is being repaired I am back to using domes for that ear - in my case a double closed dome.

One of the first things I noticed going back to domes was the reduction in bass compared to my titanium custom molds. However, I can get that bass back simply by plugging my ear with my finger.

As I understand it you need good occlusion (i.e. sound blocking) to get reasonable bass for streaming, Otherwise the bass produced by the aids just “leaks out of your ears without even being perceived” - a quote from Dr Cliff Olsen that I heard recently.

That the hearing aid is producing bass is proven by me being able to hear it when I plug my ears with my finger which traps the low frequencies in my ear so that i can hear them.

I don’t believe that there is any real remedy for this issue other than using more occlusive domes or custom molds. However, that may be exactly the opposite of what you need for hearing generally.

It is important to understand that hearing aids with tiny in ear speakers that have to run within a very tight power limitation will never be able to match the sound quality of reasonable headphones. For example, my £200 Sony 1000XM4 headphones sound better than my Phonak hearing aids, even though the aids cost 15 times more. The XM4 have drivers that are 40mm (just under 2 inches) across. The hearing aids will have drivers a couple of mm across. So the total surface area of the headphone speakers is around 400 to 500 times larger. For lower frequency energy you need bigger speaker surface areas - that is why tweeters in normal speakers are small - around 1" - whereas sub-woofers typically have 12" speakers.

2 Likes

Did you ever figure the higher frequency distortion out? I have “overdriven” or compressed sound ONLY on the Bluetooth path. Even when in Bluetooth+mic profile I can play the same music over the L90 mics with headphones, even louder, without the distortion (A/B test by sliding fro m Surroundings to Audio in Ambient Balance). Even inexpensive BT headphones propped over just the mics and not my canal sound better (but need bass, lol). Headphones work, but the “receivers” are capable of producing acceptable sound, so why should I need headphones over my hearing aids?

Hm. You say the problem is better when pressing on your ears with the speaker/receiver IN the canal I’m assuming.

Maybe the issue is with the wire that connects the “bean” behind your ear with the speaker? Could you jiggle that and see if it crackles? Only other wierd thing I’ve heard of is a long ear hair INSIDE your ear canal. It happens. And if that’s somehow brushing against the speaker’s dome, it can crackle. Is it ONE ear or both?

If BOTH, I’m agreeing: likely mechanical - something not working right on the aid. If it keeps happening insist that your audi send them in! These audis do not walk in our shoes. My own audi says she can’t hear persistent whistling/moaning/woo-woo from my aid that my own husband hears across the table from me.

You could explain the prob to Phonak Cust Support at: ‭(800) 679-4871‬ but they’d likely say, “Have audi return it to Phonak.”

Sounds like a receiver issue (specifically the wire). When mine go bad it is the wire connection closest to the receiver (piece that goes in the ear) th is the culprit.

2 Likes

Thank you for that!! Do you think I could just push the wire in more? Maybe it’s not seated right. Or do you think the wire itself could’ve been mishandled when they went in to Phonak?

It’s just odd that it is only the RIGHT aid that is wonky - both times, right after my 2 pairs of aids came back from Phonak with a new battery. Come to think of it, I should try pressing the wire in MORE to the “bean” than to the speaker.

1 Like