Music Program

I am testing the Resound Linx2 961 and the Phonak Audeo V90 312 for the moment.

When taking my lifestyle into account and the high price of the top end of these premium aids, I think I could do with the Linx2 761 and the Audeo V70 312.

Of course the top end of the premium aids have more features in programming, but I wonder if it would make a substantial difference for the music program if I purchase the lower level instead of the top aids of both brands? I listen mostly to classical music.

Could the experts give me their point of view on this?

Thanks!

I’m no expert but the way music programs are setup has it turning off features rather than adding them.

I wear the Phonak Venture V70. Music is detected automatically as part of Autosense, and the music programme kicks in. For me, this is sometimes annoying, as I have the music programme programmed to be much louder. With a lower spec hearing aid, I would imagine music would occupy one of the programs so you have to switch to it manually.

You may not have the issue I have if your general volume for music and everything else is equal.

That’s the way mine works. Shuts off all the extra features. Higher prices typically just buy you more features, which will do nothing for or to your music program.

Although I am trying out the V90 with autosense the audi installed 2 programs: the general and the music program.

I detect only minor differences between the 2 programs. That was not the case with the Linx2 961 where I really could notice a difference between them.

Normally with the music program features are held to a minimum. May I assume that there won’t be any difference between the top aids of both brands and the lowers aid just behind?

Hi,

I don´t know details about the aids you mentioned.

In general, it´s true that for music programs you have to turn off features, not on.

A more advanced aid might be able to detect music automatically so you don´t need to change programs.

Now the details where a more advanced aid might help:

• high end aids sometimes have a higher frequency range, which might improve music
  • sometimes a special program for live music is included in the high-end aids only, this is the case for Signia Primax, where only the most expensive aid has an extra program for live music. This used to be the case for bernafon, where in the chronos line only the chronos 9 had the live music program. Currently, all Juna aids have the live music plus program
  • a higher bitrate can help with music (20 or even 24 bit instead of 16 bit) because of the wider dynamic range. Higher bit rate is usually only available for the top models

In the end, all comes down to: Do you hear the difference? If not, you might be well off with a middle-class aid.

With the exception of the DAC issue raised above, I could get the music program on the bargain Enya I was selling to sound as good as the Lynx2. If you like music, and you want it autosensed, go Uniton/Phonak. Otherwise just get a separate music prog fitted.

OK, but of course the programming of the aids depends on the skills of the audi and I don’t know how good my audi is on that. What bothers me a bit is that she always presents the latest top end aids as to be the best all-round.

How do the Phonak Audeo and Resounds Lynx2 compare to the DAC issue you mention? Which brand is the better one in your experience?

I like music, but I don’t especially want it autosensed. I still want to decide what is the best program in the given situation. I don’t think aids are that good in this field, or am I wrong?

Just have your audi take away some of the treble and add more bass in a separate program and use it when you are listening to music.

Is it too late to shop around for a new audi?

I could shop around of course, but she is the closest: only 800 m from my doorstep. I assume she knows her job, but you are never certain about that of course.

She is also very driven in her job and straight-forward, and we have a good contact. Maybe I should make my point of view and doubts more clear to her?

This is true only when you use closed or custom domes/molds.

With open domes, you can decrease the overall amplification and use a little less compression. The bass comes through naturally and needs no amplification with open domes.

Any aid can/will have a separate music program, it’s a bog standard option.

Your audiologist can tune the discrete program AND the one within the Autosense. The tuning in either can be set to any level.

Usually the program is set flat at about 50% of your normal prescription, though how that sounds is pretty subjective based on the venting. You can use the programming like an equaliser to set your personal preference for sound re bass and treble.

Good to know the music in the autosense program and the music program can be tuned seperatly with the Audeo. And I like to hear details when listening to classical music, so I want the a good balance between treble and bass.

For the moment I prefer open fit, even if there is some leaking. It sounds much more natural, less compressed and harsh then hearing through custom molds. The audi is willing to follow me on that, as later on custom molds can be introduced if necessary.

The crabby part of me always assumes they don’t know their job, they have to prove it to me. :wink:

She is also very driven in her job and straight-forward, and we have a good contact. Maybe I should make my point of view and doubts more clear to her?

If you have that kind of relationship with her, then absolutley express your doubts. That’s points in her favor.

Again, points in her favor.

I was originally put off by the comment that she is always pushing the high end aids. I always say that the fitter is as important, if not more important, than the brand of aid you buy. They must be knowledgeable, honest, and also must be respectful towards you. They need to be willing to work with you on your hearing solution, and should never come across as parental or authoritarian. When someone starts pushing high end aids as the only viable solution, they lose points in the honesty category.

My audi is really driven by her job, but I am learning to speak out more then I have up till now. Otherwise I could end up with purchaising aids that she tends to prefer. And that is the ReSound Linx2 9.

After 2 weeks op Phonak Audeo with open fit I was put on the Linkx 2 9 with open fit yesterday morning this time to make the comparison between the 2 brands possible. Even with open fit the ReSounds sound harsh. I wasn’t expecting that.

The same day I wanted already to go to the Audeo again: much more balanced and soft sounds and a lot better for music. I will have to wait till next week to tell here my decision.

I think I will go for the Phonak Audeo V90, just not sure if I’ll chose the V-12 aids or the V-13 that also has volume control on board. The price is the same, but they are a bit larger. Not that this matters to me. The only thing what annoys me is that the Phonak accessories are so expensive in comparison with ReSound.

I ran across some information in a variety of posts in the forum about the Brio 2 / Audeo V 90 that have caused me to ask my audi to add some manual programs at my appointment tomorrow. Here they are :

> AutoSense is very good, but music and speaker generated sounds are better with the music program.

> The music program may not be great, but it turns off much of the compression and improves sounds from speakers, like the TV, car radio, etc.

I am also going to ask if the music program can be tweaked to decrease the highs/increase the bass.

While the music capability is embedded in the AutoSense program, it might make sense that the standalone music program might be more robust. It might also make sense that the embedded music capability needs to hit some kind of a threshold to kick in, but having a manual music program lets you turn it on and be sure it is working.

Costco carries the Phonak Brio 2 and the ReSound Cala 8, each are the equivalent of the Audeo V90 and the Lynx 2, price at $2600 for the pair

I was told the Costco version of the ReSound LiNX² is not the same as the LiNX² 9. Some upgrades were not there.

I compared both the Phonex and the LiNX² 9, both had what I felt was equal performance, available programs and
price. I picked the ReSound based on the app being far better. The enhancer mode, individual ear volumes and bass and treble controls made it more appealing to me. I like as much control as possible to allow me to override presets and tweak it more to my liking.

I’m a resound Versa wearer (costco brand). My developmentally delayed daughter LOST her hearing aids (yeah, thats what I thought too…!). So I bought a pair of Resound Linx2 aids on Ebay, thinking that because I’m a musician and an owner of an iPhone 6 and an Apple Watch, I could make use of all the Linx2 bells and whistles, and give my Versas to her, after reprogramming and new earmolds…

Questions, if you can answer them…

– The new aids just arrived. They’re really smaller than my Versas. I was surprised by this. BUT they take 312 batteries, and I’ve read on other forums that the streaming capabilities of the Linx2 really eat through 312 batteries and the later models take size 13, which provide more power. What the experience of you Linx2 users in the real world?

– I’ve also read that the difference between models is merely features that are shipped with every aid, but are turned off in the lower-price models. If that is true, can my audiologist turn them back on?

– I use a custom earmold. The Linx2s came with a standard earmold. Is that good enough? I don’t know how to post my hearing stats her as others have done, but I’m deafer than a brick, with moderate-to-severe congenital nerve deafness both ears. No tintinitus, but a lot of head noise. The Versas have been the best fit I’ve ever had, period. Hope the Linx2 can do as well or better, and add the bluetooth capabilities.

Thanks,
/john bryan, chatsworth, ca…