Moving to a new PC

I need to transfer all my Target sessions to a new PC. I have read the Phonak guides, but I still cannot find some basic instructions.

Target will not import settings from a file, unlike iPFG which made the job a simple one. I cannot see where the “Transfer settings” are helpful at all.
Any help much appreciated.

Couldn’t you just put the software on your new PC and then connect your HAs and load your latest settings?

That wasn’t his question.

If you want all your pervious data put on a new computer, the only way I see you doing it, is doing it one at a time with transferring the pervious data on to your HAs, then putting it on to your new computer. So you’re using your HAs as a way of transferring the data. Hope that makes sense. It might take a while but I don’t know how else to do it.

I would then factory reset your HAs and put on your original settings.

I have had a look at what you want to do and I played around in Target v4.1.0.9913 with Windows 7 Professional 32/64bit.

I think that there may be a couple of ways to do it (leaving aside other processes of direct transfer of data - computer to computer, that may be available). There is a lot of information so I will do separate posts. (Offered on all care/no responsibility basis).

Option A

Based on the information in Phonak’s Target 5 Booklet (Aug 2016) which states:

“Client data backup

In the Phonak Target stand-alone version, all data is stored in the DB folder. We recommend backing up this folder and all files it contains regularly onto a separate data storage medium.”

“You might have to configure your Windows Explorer to ‘Show hidden files and folders’ in order to be able to browse to these locations.

The default DB folder is located here:

Microsoft Windows Vista (32 and 64 bit) Home/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate:
C:\ProgramData\Phonak\Phonak Target\Phonak Target\Data

Microsoft Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) Home/Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate:
C:\ProgramData\Phonak\Phonak Target\Phonak Target\Data

Microsoft Windows 8 (32 and 64 bit) Pro/Enterprise:
C:\ProgramData\Phonak\Phonak Target\Phonak Target\Data” end quote.

(Be aware of the two ‘Phonak Target’ references in the folder name).

Windows 10 would probably be a similar file structure.

(I have done this backup from time to time, but not yet needed to use it. However, I cannot see the individual files related to the Target sessions. An .sdf file reader is probably needed. But maybe I don’t need to get in there anyway).

Assuming that you are using the same Target version on both computers - it may be possible to substitute the Data folder on the NEW computer with the copied Data folder from the OLD computer. You would only substitute IF there is no new Target sessions on the NEW computer that you want to keep. You could try by doing this:

On the OLD computer – COPY the relevant Data folder to separate storage (eg 1[SUP]ST[/SUP] flashdrive).

On the NEW computer – MOVE the ‘Data’ folder that is in Target on the C: drive to a separate place for safekeeping (eg 2[SUP]ND[/SUP] flashdrive and/or another folder. Remember the folder’s name).

COPY the Data folder from the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] flashdrive to the C: drive on the NEW computer in the relevant Target folder.

On the NEW computer open Target and see what is there under clients.

If it is not what you want – delete the Data folder on the C: drive then copy the Data folder from the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] flashdrive back into the relevant Target folder.

In my experimenting, I found that when I moved the Data folder to separate storage I could not work in Target. (ie: there’s no data base). Then I moved the Data folder back to its position on the C: drive and I was back in business.

If Phonak recommends that the DB folder is backed up from time to time then it seems logical to me that this is the critical folder. Why else am I copying it? I haven’t had to use it yet, but this is what I will try first if my files become corrupted.

Remember this experiment was done using the same version of Target. The question is – does it work with different versions of Target software – only experimenting will answer that question.

The key is to make safe copies so everything can be put back together.

If you have sessions on the NEW computer that you want to keep – look at the other options that might work before you try substituting the DB folder.

Cheers

1 Like

Here is Option B

Assuming that there are NO clients in Target on the NEW computer:

On the OLD computer create a new folder somewhere and name it (eg: TargetExport).

Then on the OLD computer open Target software.

Select the client that you want.
Select File from the top menu.
Select Export Client.
Select ‘Export current client’s data’.
Uncheck the Export Anonymously box.
If you export the files ‘anonymously it is a bit harder to remember which one it is.

In the ‘destination path and filename – select Browse and find the TargetExport folder you created.
Type in a file name – (eg: clientnameOld) and select save.
Back on the Target screen - select Export and then Close.
Do this for each client (if you have more than one client set up). You could probably select ‘Export all clients, but I haven’t tried that.
Your files will have the extension ‘.export’.

(This process does not delete the information in your database).

Copy the TargetExport folder you created to a flashdrive or other portable storage (eg: CD).

On the NEW computer insert your flashdrive.
Open Target.
Select File from the top menu.
Select Import Client.
Find your TargetExport folder on your flashdrive.
Select the file you want to import (one at a time if you have multiple files). Select Open.
Select Import on the dialogue box and then select Close.
You should then get your client data into your NEW computer with the same names that are on your OLD computer.

If you have existing clients on your NEW computer with the same name as clients on the OLD computer it may be wise to rename the clients on the OLD computer before exporting the file to your TargetExport folder. You could add the word ‘old’ to the name/s of your client/s. (While experimenting I found that the imported files had the same name and I ended up with duplicate ‘clients’). If you export the files ‘anonymously it is a bit harder to remember which one it is.

Remember this experiment was done using the same version of Target. The question is – does it work with different versions of Target software – only experimenting will answer that question.

Thank you all for yourreplies.

I have Target on a CD.Shame the laptop couldn`t read the CD, so had to search for the original download. This worked, until I had to stop and install Net Framework, then another two files from Microsoft. Had to wait while Win 10 was configured each time before a re-boot. So it took a lot longer than it should. I up dated Target to 5.1 from 4.1. I think it adds the newer hearing aids.

Thank you Adianup. I couldn`t find a “DB” folder, so went for option B. Target would not export to my new folder, but did to “My Documents”. The import went ok, and all working by late afternoon.
Target may be better in some ways, but iPFG could import from file, which would make this a piece of cake… Thank you very much again, for your help…

Great to know that you are up and running.

Cheers.

I realize this is an old thread but I just had to import my data to a new computer and found that this one file is all you need to do it.

c:\ProgramData\Phonak\Phonak Target\Phonak Target\Data\PatientDatabase.sqlite

Edit: For Win10 Pro

3 Likes

I can confirm that for Phonak Target Version 6.1 on Windows 7 64 bit transfer of the patient database file works fine.

To see the c:\ProgramData folder you have to enable ’ Show hidden files, folders and drives ’

( Organize > Folder and Search options > View Tab > Show hidden files, folders and drives )

The file has extension .sdf rather than sqlite

c:\ProgramData\Phonak\Phonak Target\Phonak Target\Data\PatientDatabase.sdf

1 Like

Good detective work. There is also a File option to export All clients and then import them back into the new Target. Tip: select a client first, then use the File pull down menu.

ETA: Here’s more detailed instructions:

1. Run Phonak Target
  2. Click Show all to Display all clients
  3. Select one of your Clients
  4. Use the File (pull down menu) to select Export client
  5. Choose the option to Export all clients (default is Export current Client)

2 Likes

Yeah that’s interesting, good to know.

@pvc

Tip: select a client first, then use the File pull down menu.

I worked from top menu so didn’t find this all clients option …
Also using verion 6.1 if that is different.

Logically export and import is the better way and ought to cope with moving to a newer version.

Any/All? - fitting software should have this feature to export your clients to a .nhax file and then import them into a new computer/new software/new whatever; I don’t know why Phonak Target makes this function cumbersome, in that you have to select a client before you are able to use the export feature?? Maybe they don’t pay their programmers enough :rofl:

Oticon makes it fairly simple;
c1

1 Like

You guys are making it all more difficult than it is. I just moved my files to a new computer, and it was easy.

I opened Target in the old computer, under the file drop down selected Export, followed by export all, and exported them to a thumb drive. It created one file with all the clients.

Opened Target on the new computer and selected import from the file drop down selected the single file on the thumb drive, and Target imported and extracted all the client files. Done!

That’s it simple.

3 Likes

Yeah it is, but we had a member (now banned, thank god) that always tried to make things difficult for people, you just showed how easy things can be.

Cheers

I couldn’t believe that, an audiologigy department with many clients would need to hire an IT expert just to move to a different computer. I just had to assume that an export /import function existed in the Target software, and there it was.

An audiology department with many clients would probably have fitting software for many different brands on an old PC and the way the clients were stored may not always be the same for each. Also in that situation you want zero mistakes, so hiring an expert probably made a lot of sense to them.

That’s totally beside the point. The point is Phonak made it a simple task to move client files, and one would assume other hearing aid manufacturers have done the same.