Molded dome for hearing aid?

My audiologist asked if I would consider a molded dome for my Widex btw hearing aids I said we’d discuss it at my next meeting, I think it’s a dome made from a mold of my ear canal and presumably it would be a great fit and improve the hearing aid performance.

Has anyone done this!?

maybe what is meant earmole ? if audiology tells to print earmole it is very common, because the earmole is very influential in terms of comfort and sound quality produced .

earmole = earmold :wink: :smile:

and many more styles.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve always worn custom molds. Suits my hearing loss best and because they fit my ear canal specifically they stay in well. Mine are vented (because occlusion is a problem for me) but they can be ventless so you might want to look into that or ask your audi.

1 Like

I finally moved to a custom ear mold about a year ago. Because of my significant hearing loss in my one ear, and at the low registers, it had been recommended for quite a while. I read so many posts of having to get the molds remade, uncomfortable etc that I delayed. I ended up going to an audi office near me that offers the 3D ear scan. Fit was great (it was a micromold) and definitely enhanced my hearing.

I don’t really understand the concern. Give it a try. What do you have to lose.

@ellenb18: Have any change of pigmentation, size, shape, or sensitivity of your earmole checked out by an ENT meejutly

I tried it. They were awfully uncomfortable for me. I felt like my ears were plugged up.
I lost $300.

You need to give it time for you to get used to it. I would say at least a week.

Also you should ask your audiologist about vents (which are tubes cut in the earmold from outside to inside). This can greatly reduce the stuffed up feeling, but the hearing aids need to be adjusted properly for that. And of course you need the vents to be in the ear molds in the first place.

Often the molds will have vents and these are made smaller with plastic parts that push into the mold.