Moderate hearing loss -- Should I get a hearing aid

I am totally new to the idea of hearing loss. I recently got a hearing exam because my family was starting to notice they had to repeat things to me and there were complaints about the loud volume at which I watched the TV. The results of my hearing test are posted below. The tester stated that I had a mild hearing loss and should consider hearing aids. I have a few questions. The test was not conducted in a sound proof booth. Sound dampening ear muffs were placed over my ears. Is this sufficient for reliable results? Are others with similar results wearing hearing aids and do they find improved hearing with the aids. I am a person who does not have a problem with wearing hearing aids if they will help. I did use a test pair of Unitron Moxi Kiss hearing aids for 6 days. At times I thought my hearing may be better. At times, I did not. A bit of a mixed result. Maybe it just takes more time to adjust. I do have some problem with hearing in situations such as restaurants where there is much background noise and at times I notice a bit of a ring in my ears. I have scheduled an exam with a second audiologist to verify the test results. What is your opinion? Am I a candidate for hearing aids? One last thing, I am a very active, athletic person who, as a result, exercises quite hard and sweats a lot. Is this a concern with hearing aids? Thanks much for helping out a guy with a lot to learn.

-250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
L 35–10—15—20—20—35—50—60
R 40–15—20—30—30—45—50—65
AI – Left ear – 81%
AI-- Right ear – 65%
SRT – Left ear – 20db
SRT – Right ear – 30db
WR – Left ear – 92% at 55dB
WR – Right ear – 84% at 55dB

Hi and I was just recently diagnosed with hearing loss like you in June. I have a moderate loss and recently gotten Oticon Nera pro hearing aides and the hearing aids have made a difference already in my life and how i hear and my relationship with my husband because I talked really loud before I got my new hearing aids. I think it depends on you as a person and when you feel like hearing loss actually affects your daily life. A second opinion is always a good thing.

— Updated —

Hi and I was just recently diagnosed with hearing loss like you in June. I have a moderate loss and recently gotten Oticon Nera pro hearing aides and the hearing aids have made a difference already in my life and how i hear and my relationship with my husband because I talked really loud before I got my new hearing aids. I think it depends on you as a person and when you feel like hearing loss actually affects your daily life. A second opinion is always a good thing.

If you google “speech banana”, you will see that “f”. “th” and “s” are consonants that you probably are not hearing or understanding a good portion of the time. Not all the time, but with women, and children, and soft talking people. Your ability to follow what is being said is known as speech discrimination.

I agree with you to see an Audiologist, Sam’s Club or Costco, and get a good test done with inserts, not headphones inside a sound proof booth.

If your results are the same, than to me you will need them, and the sooner you get them and wear them, the better your life will be. You will have an adaptation period. During that time, my hope is that your fitter will make the necessary adjustments to allow you to hear the best you are capable of.

I have never heard of a hearing test done any other way then in a sound proof box but you learn something new everyday. I have noticed a difference with my hearing aids however keep in mind when you get them there is a adjustment period. I have had to go back to adjustments a couple of times. I personally do not wear my hearing aids when I am at the gym because I don’t I’m really not talking with anyone & I’m afraid the sweat with cause issues with then hearing aids. Just my two cents worth:)

Miki

So what i’m I doing wrong it appears my messages are double posting. LOL

HorseLover

You’re not doing anything wrong! There seems to be some sort of bug in posting for the last few months. I’ve circumvented it by NOT using the “Post Quicky Reply” but clicking on “Go Advanced” and then doing whatever it says to post from that view. That seems to work most of the time.

Kerry

If you sweat a lot then wearing hearing aids may not be comfortable to you.
I would suggest you get 1 hearing aid to standby - so that you can use it when you need. (eg noisy background, meeting, discussion - those important event)