Mixing Hearing Aids

Thank you Stephen, for your comprehensive reply, I learn something new everyday on this site/forum, I am much obliged for your detailed response, it is very enlightening to see the reasoning behind your thinking… Suffice to say, as a layman, I stand corrected (again :upside_down_face:) Cheers Kev :smile:

1 Like

The term ampCROS that I became familiar with was using the duophone program to hack in a wireless CROS program that also still maintained amplification to the bad ear, rather than pushing the amplification through the skull acoustically, which I’ve also had bad results with. I wasn’t sure which you were talking about here.

1 Like

Definitely the latter. It just all gets too messy for the ‘good’ cochlear.

Practically, where you might consider the application of an ‘AmpCROS’; the exception to the rule is where the ‘good’ side has continuous effusion or some other middle ear nonsense going on so the resolution is stuffed anyway. Then again, if that’s the case the loss is normally not usually as differentiated across the head.

This industry has terrible nomenclature: Ampclusion anyone? Probably Bill or Mike Poe (MedRx) will claim that one. They are amateurs compared with Killion though….

NB: I’d heard of the concept of the other AmpCROS too, but it’s never been configurable in any system I’ve used.

Here is the link. However, you won’t be able to do it with a bicros. You’d need two hearing aids of the same brand and model that provide amplification to both ears.

https://order.starkeypro.com/pdfs/quicktips/Setting_Up_AmpCROS.pdf

That’s what I’m using, although with the Philips, it’s just called Telephone. Duophone is what Phonak calls it.

1 Like

@kevels55 That is a beautiful story!

1 Like

Thank you @Kaytee… On recollection, I have had the pleasure of working with 3 Deaf/Blind clients, they use a form of sing language, called “Deaf/Blind Manual”… 2 of whom, I was one of their “Communicator/Guide”, I say it was a pleasure, because that’s exactly what it was, these guys, were full of life, and full of fun… Any time I’m down, or a little frustrated with my hearing loss, or indeed life in general, I remind myself of these wonderful human beings, and how they coped with extreme adversity, my problems then pale into insignificance… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. I may just have CROS. I’ll see if my audiologist can program it for Amp.