Minimum PC requirements for PC to run GPS Compass 4.4 - widex moment sheer

Hi All - mac user, about to grab a PC and very confused after years of working with apple (music software). I found this one would it work? - https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Display-Processor-Microsoft/dp/B0BQMJHFBD/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=34ZWXEZ1Z1ZGY&keywords=pc%2Bibm%2Blaptop&qid=1676836797&sprefix=pc%2Bibm%2Blaptop%2Caps%2C401&sr=8-7-spons&smid=AM0VWZ1WMK39K&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTklSUklYOEU2VFZLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjY4OTg2MVpKR0RFUzRRMkxJUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjkyMDE0MTQxWjBCNDZPNktQTyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

You would have to run Windows under emulation → Using windows on a macbook pro (Intel) to program with Compass 4.4

Tip: you can click image to enlarge;

c3

The link to the Idea Pad is a very low spec computer. Look for something with 8GB of ram and a 256 or 512GB hard drive.

The GPS Compass Software isn’t demanding. So we are really just looking for a laptop with acceptable performance.

Like this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-7490-Laptop-Bluetooth/dp/B09LNDXMPG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3T75PUAE3H3FH&keywords=i5+laptop&qid=1677024256&refinements=p_n_feature_thirty-three_browse-bin%3A23720419011&rnid=23720416011&s=pc&sprefix=i5+laptop%2Caps%2C100&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFTVTVDS1g0VDlTSEUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMTIzMjQxS1FWTE81VTJQWkU1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzgzOTI2UUtRNFlKSzM4QlYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Here is another, it cost just a little less.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-Business-i5-6300U-Keyboard/dp/B07MBR4F43/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3T75PUAE3H3FH&keywords=i5+laptop&qid=1677024437&refinements=p_n_feature_thirty-three_browse-bin%3A23720419011&rnid=23720416011&s=pc&sprefix=i5+laptop%2Caps%2C100&sr=1-5

Thanks PVC - I was warned against using a mac for compass, despite it looking workable on paper (thank you). I was told that Boot Camp would claim space on my hard drive and never relinquish it even after It’s deleted. which makes sense - it creates a partition. So the question above was about an actual PC that I’ll get

Just remember to take those minimum requirements with a pinch of salt,you can run the software on very basic windows laptop, you don’t need 8GM ram, 2 GB is more than enough, if I remember correctly I’ve used intel Atom processor and very low spec windows tablets, the screen size/resolution is usually what gets annoying.

1 Like

thanks!! actually the second one is more. either one is inexpensive - thank you for looking this up.

Thanks - yes, compass will literally be the only thing i run on it. My recording studio and office computers are both macs because of habit!!!

I used to buy these old Dell mini-Towers and get them working again. No KB&Mouse, no monitor, no OS. But you have to be careful that you have the ability and missing pieces to get them running again. → dell optiplex for sale | eBay

So the question above was about an actual PC that I’ll get Yep, but after I answered I saw Mac user, so I thought that I would link to the emulation thread.

2 Likes

This is very outdated advice.

Almost as bad as casting a cajun voodoo curse upon the user. The experience will be terrible.

Rubbish, No it’s not, in what way? Do some research before posting,as you might be casting that voodoo curse upon yourself.

Here are the minimum specs https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications?r=1

Running minimum spec his a horrible user experience. Your recommendation @tenkan is bad advice.

Hey mate, I never recommended anything, all I said was I’ve used much lower spec’s without issue, so I’ve done it with and didn’t have any “horrible user experience” so please explain the “horrible user experience” that you think you’d have, the only thing I found was on the screen size/resolution, this is very basic software and doesn’t need high specification laptop, as I say from experience.
So what has that link got to do with anything? Thats for win11, you don’t have to use that to run manufacturers software, so what are you on about?

Windows 11 is the current system. So is @tenkan advice for something else?

My advice was simply to take the manufacturer’s minimum requirements with a pinch of salt, nothing more nothing less.
Read what you like into that.

I do appreciate the passion for helping this newbie with a computer choice, and I’m pretty sure that’s everyone’s aim. so thank you all!!. It does beg the question, however - does (or will) the current Compass programming software need windows 11? thanks for everything!

10 or 11 - See my previous post and you can click the images to enlarge.

1 Like