Microwave Oven Interference

I’d say yes, as it needs to hit quite a threshold to be audible, if part of the Faraday has rusted out then you’re sending ionising radiation around your kitchen. For the £50-100 to replace it, it’s not worth messing with, just change it.

Fwiw, spend the extra £20 and get a Panasonic one, of all the consumer durables I’ve ever owned, these have lasted the longest.

I agree on the Panasonic point. I have never had interference from my Panasonic microwave oven into my Resound hearing aids. But I did once stay in a rental place where the induction hob interfered badly with my LINX Quattros and so when I cooked that week, I left my hearing aids in another room.

Re: Microwave and other loud noise interference.
I too have noticed interruption of BT streaming with my KS10’s by close proximity to an old Panasonic microwave. In addition I find that the HA’s change sensitivity when close to the noise of a running faucet against a steel sink. The sensation is similar to the eustachian tube click encountered with altitude changes.
My theory is that the HA’s automatically switch from the program they are in, to a preset program, in my aids designated “Noise.” This is also momentarily the default program when I switch my aids on while simultaneously monitoring them with the cell phone App.
Speaking against this theory is the absence of the musical tones associated with invocation of a new pre-programmed setting from the Remote Control state.

I’ve noticed interference with streaming when using and standing next to my Panasonic microwave, but don’t believe I’ve ever had an aid damaged as such from microwave use.

This is a very intriguing thread! Way back in the '90s when I had my first pair of Starkeys, they’d go BONKERS going into the ladies restroom at work. There’d be a very noticeable, "CHA! CHA! CHA! … CHA! CHA! CHA! That also happened to a lesser degree when I’d go to a certain coffee shop. My audi even called Starkey to ask if they had any answers? I figured it was electronic interference of some kind. Perhaps a microwave in the coffee shop would set it off. But in the ladies room? Well, there was NO microwave in there, I assure you.

I always experience skipping and stuttering during streaming when the microwave is on. Never experience this with regular bluetooth headphones. Could be a low energy bluetooth issue.

I’ve gotten interference before in some buildings that I thought was related to motion sensors. Not sure though.

A few weeks ago I heard an awful noise when I got close to the microwave. I figured it was going to die soon. Then I realized I had forgotten to take my HAs out of t-coil after a phone call. The noise disappeared after I changed the program.

That must explain it! I bet it was the motion sensors in the bathroom that triggered it. Probably controlled the lights in there, too.

Had me doing the CHA! CHA! CHA! right out the door as fast as I could! :blush:

1 Like