Maxum by Ototronix

Moderate severity SNHL doing well with Siemens BTE’s. Wearing aids for 5 years. Adult onset, genetic SNHL, but relatively stable for 5 years. Have been following middle ear implants very closely (as well as cochlear technology). Ruled out the Esteem because of cost, relatively high failure rate (need to talk to some of the failures, it will break your heart), and the irreversible disarticulation of the middle ear ossicles. Strongly considering the Maxum because of success rates, improvement in clarity, and relative noninvasive nature of the surgery (which is reversible, for example, if you need an MRI). I would GREATLY appreciate any and all thoughts on this. THANK YOU in advance.

No responses? Well there have been over 800 patients implanted with the Maxum so I’m sure someone out there has some experience they could share.

I have the Maxum and an very pleased with it. I’ve had it for almost a year. My word recognition went from 48% understanding to 99%. The surgery was easy and recovery was only 2 to 3 weeks. Once I had the Maxum activated there were a few adjustments and my hearing improved. If you have any questions let me know.

— Updated —

I have the Maxum and an very pleased with it. I’ve had it for almost a year. My word recognition went from 48% understanding to 99%. The surgery was easy and recovery was only 2 to 3 weeks. Once I had the Maxum activated there were a few adjustments and my hearing improved. If you have any questions let me know.

I can’t help thinking this technology maximizes middle ear damage as opposed to SNHL. This is also evidenced by recipients obtaining >95% discrimination scores. Can anyone continue dialog on my perceptions and observation?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “maximizes middle ear damage”. I can tell you that my procedure took less than an hour, I was awake for the whole thing (local anesthetic only) and that my hearing after surgery (and healing period) was basically the same as it was for before surgery. They don’t have to remove any part of the ear bones or anything. I don’t know why I’d ever need to have the implant removed, but it is reversible if needed. I’ve actually had both ears implanted now. Both procedures went well and I hear much better with the Maxum than I do with hearing aids.

If you want to talk to either my surgeon or my audiologist, I can give you their numbers and email addresses. Hope that helps.

— Updated —

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “maximizes middle ear damage”. I can tell you that my procedure took less than an hour, I was awake for the whole thing (local anesthetic only) and that my hearing after surgery (and healing period) was basically the same as it was for before surgery. They don’t have to remove any part of the ear bones or anything. I don’t know why I’d ever need to have the implant removed, but it is reversible if needed. I’ve actually had both ears implanted now. Both procedures went well and I hear much better with the Maxum than I do with hearing aids.

If you want to talk to either my surgeon or my audiologist, I can give you their numbers and email addresses. Hope that helps.

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear with regards to the term “middle ear damage.”. What I was referring to was the primary hearing loss being caused by damage to the middle ear as apposed to nerve damage of the inter ear. I will also clarify that I wonder if this Maxum is limited to low to moderate hearing loss. Do you understand that this technology will work for sever to profound loss? What level of loss did you have prior to the Maxum surgery? I am very happy for your experience and am glad you can share it with readers of this message board.

over 800 patients implanted

you do realize the percentage of hearing aid/implant users who actually visit this forum is very small compared to actual number of users?

sounds like a sales pitch to me…

Doc Jake,

This is not a pitch. I am an actual patient that was wanting to help others, I was on the forum looking for some possible relief for my tinnitus and found this post about the Maxum. Anyone wanting more information can email me, because it has made a big difference in my life.

Richard,

My hearing loss is:

L 250 25 R 250 40
L 500 35 R 500 55
L 1K 65 R 1K 80
L 2K 80 R 2K 75
L 4K 70 R 4K 70
L 6K 70 R 6K 75
L 8K 55 R 8K 70

You will need to contact them about your hearing loss. Yours is more sever than mine and I’m not sure what the limit is.

Thanks for the replies. I’m probably going to have one ear implanted this October.