Marvel Trial Ended...Now Resound Quattro

I had a two week trial in Marvels that ended yesterday. I’m coming out of Phonak Virto V70s.

Yesterday I tried the Evoke 440s and didn’t leave the audi’s office with them. I didn’t care for the Evokes at all

I switched to the Resound Quattro 9s. I like what I can hear. They sound some what more natural than the Marvel M70s, but I had more input and could hear voices better with the Marvels. Some sounds were harsh and TV and movies seemed to have too much upper frequency. But I’ll end up in molds and that would help and then go through the adjustment phase.

I’ll give the Resound Quattros some time, but I think I’m going to end up with the M70s and a Roger Select iN.

What fitting formula(s) are you using? Are these aids being REM fitted?

With my age and hearing loss I’ve had trouble understanding dialog on Netflix DVD/Blu-ray movie rentals over the years, even after getting hearing aids (finally!). What I’d recommend for any brand of HA that you settle on is getting a TV streamer. For reasons discussed elsewhere in forum (direct to your ears, no distance effects, room reverberations, etc.), a TV streamer really makes speech a lot more understandable. You can still listen with your external HA mics and mix and match relative volume of streamed vs room sound and give everyone else in the room a chance to listen to the TV at their own mutually agreed volume level as opposed to just having speaker volume cranked up as I used to do. The nice thing about the Marvels is that the Phonak TV streamer is a lot cheaper than the fancier ReSound one, which has a few more capabilities you might not be likely to need. Costco offers a good price on both, I think, but any warranty service has to be through a Costco for any accessories you get there. I got both my Multi Mic and my TV Streamer 2 through Costco.

1 Like

No REM. My audi used the profile from my previous setup in Virto 70s.

I haven’t used a TV streamer in the past. With the Phonaks I could hear the TV and TV sound was better. Netflix movies, streamed and DVD, were harsh on the upper end. I don’t know why there was a difference between the formats.

The Quattros sound clearer with the TV, but it’s harder to hear. I asked the audi to lower the volume before I left her office and that may have been a mistake. I’m going back Monday and have her bump it back to where it was.

The issue is that formulas are different, and the error in how the formulas are programmed without REM adjustment can be huge – in the 15 dB off range.

Since the accessories are so expensive, HCP’s or Costco, etc., really ought to have in-house (or in-store) DEMO models that one could try to see if an accessory makes a difference before plunking down the $$$ bucks. I really didn’t think a TV streamer would make much difference but for me, but even wearing hearing aids, it does. I think that we all like room-filling rumbles, especially in action/adventure movies. So sound straight to your HA’s can’t provide that deep, deep sensation like a subwoofer can but I enjoy hearing the dialog so MUCH MORE CLEARLY than I did before, even wearing HA’s. For anyone having trouble understanding TV dialog, I’d recommend giving a streamer a try. Being able to tune the sound volume just for oneself becomes an enjoyable option and the wife doeesn’t have to listen to an NFL game blasting away in the family room next door if she wants some peace and quiet while relaxing at the kitchen table. Our hearing is all different so it’s a YMMV issue for anyone on how positive an outcome - that’s why too bad that one usually cannot try a store/office demo model first. I went from a doubter to a zealot in pretty short order, though!

What formulas? The sound for the DVD and the TV comes through the same home theater unit, but the sounds are different for some reason. Maybe it was what I was watching.

My audi will let me test drive accessories for a couple of weeks.

The first step in fitting a hearing aid is selecting the fitting formula. This is the formula that determines how much gain is applied in the ear canal to address your loss. There are quite different approaches used in how loss is addressed. The most common industry standard is NAL-NL2. If one has a straight across 60 dB loss the correction would look like this. There are three curves because a different gain is applied to soft sounds compared to loud sounds. It is common to use compression which means soft sounds are amplified more than loud sounds. In this example the top curve is for soft sounds and the bottom for loud. The larger the difference the more compression.

Next is another industry standard called DSL v5. This is what it looks like for the same straight across 60 dB loss. Notice that there is very little compression of soft sounds, and less compression of loud sounds. If this forumula is used the hearing aid is likely to sound quite different, even though it is exactly the same aid.

And last here is a proprietary Rexton fitting formula called SmartFit. It is different again, but closer to the NAL-NL2 which it is likely based on, but modified by Rexton.

The point is that these will all sound different, and if each hearing aid you compare uses a different formula then of course they will sound different, but it is not due to the hearing aid, but due to the formula.

And the last point is that if REM is not done then you have no idea what the curve really looks like. The computer generated gains are likely to be wildly off what they are supposed to be.

Seems to me that if you want to fairly compare different hearing aid brands, you should choose one standard formula and ensure that one is programmed and REM fitted to each aid. Then you are comparing apples to apples.

2 Likes

Thanks. My profile was loaded on the three different aids. REM wasn’t done for the trial.

My personal issue was with the difference in the sound between TV and DVD formats using the same home theater unit.

thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

When I left the audi’s office with the Quattros last week I asked her to crank the volume down and I was having an issue hearing over the weekend so I went back today and asked he to crank them back to where they were.

These don’t seem to mask the tinnitus as well as the Marvels and I asked her to add the Resound tinnitus manager and she hit a major snag.

The Quattros thought they were connected to my phone and she couldn’t clear the connection. My phone was powered off, the Resound app was deleted, the phone and aids were rebooted multiple times yet the aids still thought there was a phone connection. A quick call to Resound wasn’t any help. She ended up connecting to the Noah the old school way with boots and cables. The she was able to add the tinnitus manager and also update the firmware on the Quattros.

What should have been a 15 minute appointment went on for over an hour. I really appreciate her service and he working to resolve the issue.

All that and the tinnitus masking isn’t as good as the Marvels.

I ended my trial with the Resound Quattros today and I have decided to go with the Marvels and the Roger.

The Marvels were a little tinny sounding during the trial and the Resounds sound more natural. But, I could hear with the Marvels and struggled to hear with the Quattros. Then this morning I put my Virto V70s back in and they sounded a lot like the Quattros. The difference, I think, is the domes. The trial HAs had open domes and I’ve used acrylic domes on the two pair of aids and the V70s are acrylic so with acrylic domes and a little tuning I think I’ll be fine.

I’m looking forward to getting new devices.

2 Likes

Not wanting to criticise your analysis here, but the fact that you’ve said there’s more HF gain in the Marvels renders the tinnitus comparison meaningless. If one set of hearing aids is set higher than the other and your tinnitus responds to more HF gain, then you’re obviously going to prefer that set. The only way to do a proper A-B comparison would have been to get both sets of aids established on the same REM gain targets and then taken them into similar real world situations. If you’re also swapping domes in the process then this will exacerbate the issue. That’s even before you consider your experience with Autosense and your own mental plasticity.

If your choice is based on other aspects of functionality then fair enough, but don’t judge it on the response of the aids. Subjectively you like the Marvels - that’s your decision.

2 Likes

If you are going to trial the Marvels ask if you can also trial the TV Streamer. I have found with my M50-R’s I can hear MUCH better with the TV streamer than by just using my HA’s.

If you like the Phonak TV Streamer you can find a new one on ebay for under $200.

Yeah, that is a really, really bad idea. The coupling is simply not the same, so you cant do this. For a trial, i can understand…

I fit marvels and quattros all day. I usually prefer quattros for poor dexterity clients with more severe loss, the gn fitting prescription is commonly accepted by people with more severe hearing loss. It can be quite harsh and performance focused.

The marvels are fun too, but they have problems… it really is personal choice. Best of luck.

“What is a Yeah, that is a really, really bad idea.?” What is a bad idea? I can’t do what?

“… it really is personal choice.” That’s my thought

Using a fitting profile from your virto 70s onto a ric hearing aid is just… no.

I can not express how important coupling is. Even experienced audiologists dont seem to understand how delicate appropriate coupling changes … everything.

Trying to think of a clever analogy, maybe another aud can help.

Are you suggesting another aud can help me or help you with the analogy?

1 Like