Marvel 30, 50, 70, 90 – same hardware, different software?

Hello there!

I’m not only new to the forum, I’m new to hearing aids, so please bear with me. :slight_smile: Today, I went to an audi with my father to get him his first pair of hearing aids. He’s a musician and voice actor, so we’ll probably be looking for a versatile solution. The audi showed us the newest Marvel models and the different stages they come in. When I asked whether the difference is “only” in software, she seemed to be unsure but leaned towards yes.

A second factor, of course, is the monetary difference. It’s quite considerable, but to be honest, I would be willing and able to pay for the more expensive version. However, I’m afraid that paying more will not give me the ability to tinker with the setup. And worse, that real tinkering would require an amount of hacking that would make my payment towards the software obsolete.

Basically, I would love to have an under-the-hood access to the device (or as much of it as I can get), because I’m afraid that visits to the audi just wont cut it. (Not because of the audi, but because of the setting.)

All that being said, it might be quite enough if I had access to Phonak Target. There’s no need to re-invent the wheel.

I’d be truly grateful for any tips!

Best
Lukas

Hardware of 30 and 50 is the same, and hardware for 70 and 90. If I remember correctly, 70 and 90 has 2 mics while lower ones have 1. Don’t hold me on that though.

Target + noahlink wireless will give you access, however some things just doesn’t exist as an option on lower models.
Like, echo block is only on 90s, and is sw feature that measures echo and cancels it, so can’t be replicated by other features.

50 and 70 don’t have speech in loud noise at all, because that takes 2 has and 4 mics in total to be able to use ultra zoom focus directly in front of you.

Also, some things just don’t exist, like if you want to have custom programs for streaming, or mics - there’s only one, default one, you can tweak it to death, but no copies.
Or I haven’t found the way to do it, and I even asked my audi and he said the one for roger mic can’t be cloned.

Or in calm, for neither device you can put insane focus, just up to the middle.

If you want to go in programming them on the language level with which they’ve been made, I can’t help you, I have no clue how would you find that out unless you know sw dev for phonak who can share information. But I think it’s not worth it, higher level access is intuitive, and if it is not in target, I’d assume you better get a job there and develop feature that don’t exist than to do it on your own. At least you’ll have help from colleagues and documentation.
Also, it’s possible that if it was currently doable, it would be already there.

Edit: and definitely check if audi is worth their money, easiest is to go on YouTube, dr cliff aud, and videos ‘best practice’. And probe your audi with questions.

If they don’t know hw differences, they might not be experienced with phonak, or at all. Great audi is more than 50% of a good fit. The rest is 30% wearer and 20% aid. My ad hoc estimates. Wearer in terms of using them 8+ hours a day, making notes for tweaking later, asking for what they need, putting themselves into different hearing situations to both test HAs and train the brain.

It is available on the M70.

1 Like

Sorry, typo, 30 and 50 should say.

I always forget that 30 exists…

Here is a link to the Phonak professional brochure: https://www.ziphearing.com/docs/models/91/1_Audeo_Marvel_Professional_Brochure.pdf

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the link to the professional brochure. I think I have read it before but on my journey to take charge of my hearing aids I find I have to read stuff a couple of times before I notice things. Under performance they list the Autosence and a little lower the Additional programs. What do they mean by that? Is the additional programs the options you have if you want to add another program(s)?