Many dentists hard of hearing

Had my teeth cleaned today and that’s what my dental tech told me - because of extended exposure to the high-speed drill they use. She gave as an example my very dentist who was unable to hearing the hiss of a leak in an air line that she had pointed out to her.

0 Likes

I was told this too when I was teenager. My deafness had just been diagnosed and I was wearing my first ever UK NHS hearing aids, body worn style with the cords and big ear pieces (it was the early 1970s) and at a dental appointment my dentist commented and said that he expected he would need hearing aids as dentists went deaf from the noise of the drills they used.

0 Likes

Wow! never heard of this happening, but think about it, it makes sense the constant sound of high speed drills. Thanks for sharing.

0 Likes

Why couldn’t they wear ear protection? Seems like an easy solution.

0 Likes

It was my understanding that it was a combination of factors including Ototxicity of mercury and other filling compounds, prolonged exposure to anaesthetics and cleaning solvents as well as some noise damage.

I believe the same used to be the case for print setters - Toluene and the noise of the presses.

1 Like

You’d think that they would this day and age, but remember I was referring to the early 70s,. Would be in 1972 as that’s when I went deaf.

0 Likes