Maintenance items and schedules

I’m new to all this and have a Widex RIC Evoke, one aid only.

It has the tulip-style dome.

Is there a recommended replacement schedule for the dome and the wax filter? I was pretty much under the impression it was, “replace as needed”.

After about 3 months now I just tore the dome last night when I was removing it for cleaning. So It looks like about 4x year might be what I can expect for “as needed” on that part, less if I am more careful.

The wax filter still looks clean, so I don’t see a reason for “as needed” yet.

But is there a time where it’s good practice to replace even if it doesn’t look like it’s needed?

0 Likes

Reading responses from members about this is all over the map. Varies between people. As needed works.
Using a dryer nightly is another subject talked about. Some do and some don’t. I am one who does.

0 Likes

My step mom has had her hearing aids for 18 months and is yet to change her domes or wax guards. Hers look really clean still.

0 Likes

I just bought 4 extra domes. I figure that should last me at least a year, maybe more. I know that silicone will start to break down over time, I think I’ll just keep a close eye on them after a few months and replace preemptively if it seems like it’s a little soft or losing some of its characteristics.

As far as the wax filter goes, I might end up never changing that out. I have an appointment in October for a final follow-up, during the cleaning and checkup they might end up replacing those parts anyway.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

1 Like