Lyric hearing aid by Insound Medical

I think the 3000 dlrs per year is a robbery. I’m ok with a 3000 initial pay and then a lower yearly payment, like 700 or 800. They are really not targeting the common person and the middle class. This is for rich people.

i am new at this forum - as a matter of introduction— i have been using hearing aids for a long long time. i also taught hearing impaired children for a long time as well.

regarding the new lyric hearing aid; i followed up the NYTimes article of 4/16/08. i talked with their customer service and they were very helpful. i cannot tell you if the hearing aid will be effective for anyone. i admit i am very interested to try it.

i did check with the accredited local distributor and the price is $1,750 per ear. i was originally “hearing” $3,500 for one ear. my apologies for this error. the price for the doctor/audiologist was about $150 which i thought was fair!

also each new replacement will have the latest technological improvement so in a way you are getting the latest improved model. so again i think this is fair!

but this is jmho.

Fair? at least not for the working class wallet. As I said earlier, it would be ok to pay thousands for an initial fee, and then… 500 per year sounds reasonable… But do you know the toll it takes on us the consumers to spend such amount? 3,500.00 per year is what you spend yearly on a car payment. By 5 years, you’d make this doctor/thief $17,000.00 richer. I repeat, this product is being sold to suburban high-middle class yuppies, not to anybody below that social/economic class.

I would be interested in hearing more first hand accounts from users of these hearing aids, after all isn’t that why we come here?
In the last 5 years I’ve spent close to a total of $13,000 (including tax) on hearing aids. I have to have hearing aids in order to WORK and this amount was a worthwhile fraction of what I earned over that same period. If I were into class envy I’d say: A new car and a payment plan, sounds lavish and extravagant to me.

While I certainly think that 3000 per year is high, I also realize that this is unequivocally the smallest aid that I’ve ever seen/heard about. The ability to wear it all of the time and not worry about sweat/water/sleep is pretty cool.

This IS a solution for those that can audiologically wear them and afford to wear them, it’s not a solution for everyone, that’s why there are other choices, some of which are a little cheaper, some of which are much cheaper. Currently I am wearing analog power aids that ran about 1200 for a pair that are full shell. I have a set of Siemens Nitro CIC’s on order that will run be about $4000. It’s hurts to have to pay so much for something that is so small, especially compared to the fulls that I am wearing now, but I’m hoping the upgrade will be worth it. My change from full shell analogs to CIC Digital programmable aids should be quite a change, hopefully for the better.

I’m just hoping that the Nitros will work for me, if not I’m going to shoot for the Cielo 2 Actives, I hear that they can be fitted with a 65db and a receiver mold and cover my extreme loss.

Would be happy to relate experiences if there is interest. I may not be the best respondent since I have never worn aids before (for all the reasons Lyric points to) but will give you first impressions:

Loss is Moderate to severe (Left ear better then Right)

Fitting was quick and fairly easy although the right device is uncomfortable (pressure pain) and I am waiting to see if it diminishes. Left ear is great only a moderate awareness that it is in.

I don’t have anything to compare this to other then not having aids but so far it is a little strange. I would appreciate any feed back as to if this is true with all aids or unique these. Such as:

Some sounds are significantly louder such as typing on the keyboard, wrinkling paper or plastic, metal on metal “clanging”, etc. Higher frequenies seem to be disproportinately louder but perhaps I just haven’t heard them in awhile.

Unlike some of the other aids I read about there does not seem to be much in the way of audio shaping. The audioligist could turn up or down the treble but there does not seem to be the “electronics” of some of the other devices. User controls are limited to “ON” “SLEEP” “OFF” and “4 VOLUME SETTINGS”.

My initial reaction is positive (allowing for above noted right ear pressure pain) and I am definitely hearing better and with better comprehension. Will see how the family sounds/takes it later tonight.

Definitely interested in your feedback. This sounds like great technology. Keep it coming.

I am so happy to hear I am not the only one with some Pain. I have had the Lyrics for one week now and I love the fact that I can hear. My biggest problem besides vanity is that I hate having to keep taking my hearing aids out when I had to get on the phone (which is a lot at work). I never really wore them so I missed a lot with my kids. Lyrics made all the difference - I can use the phone; hear everything better - even things downstairs while I am upstairs watching TV. I have a moderate to moderate/severe loss - and I am being charged 3600 a year. yes that is steep to someone like me but the difference in my life and confidence makes it worth it. My insurance will give me a little $$ every three years towards it.

however the one downside is the pain. I can live with a little discomfort but at times, I am getting a sharp paid in my ear and head (temple or top). I am not sure if it is related to something in my ear or if it is just a coincidence that I got a sinus infection around the same time.

I am waiting out the trial period to see if it will make a difference over time. My dr told me that the smaller ones will be out next year and I will definately switch as I had to pull the right one out a little due to the shape of my ear.

Will let you know more in 2 weeks. If you have any questions, ask away

From the blog I started to track my thoughts:

http://heartriangle.blogspot.com/

OK just a quick update… Slept through the night…put the Lyrics in sleep mode which returned me pretty close to my Pre-Lyric hearing and some stuffiness as they act like an ear plug. Heard the alarm still and hit snooze…turned on Lyrics and was dumbfounded at how loud it sounded when it went off again.

It was difficult to find a comfortable position as I mentioned there is some discomfort that seems to come and go (Right ear was bad yesterday not today) and lying on my side seemed to put pressure on the ear and made it more noticeable. I am gradually coming to like these very much…absolutely no one noticed for those of you who wonder. They are invisible!

Again not having a basis for comparison I don’t know if what I am “hearing” is normal or just a result of the Lyrics. I am getting lots of sounds that I did not hear before such as small beeps my phone makes when I dial, ticking and clicking on lots of things, speech comprehension is MUCH better and I find I don’t have to look at the person as directly to carry on a conversation. There seems to be an overall amplification of all noises so the difference between being in a car that is sitting and one moving along the road is dramatic. I’m using a sort of self gauge to judge things…Digital radio volume in car sitting is at 8…while moving…11 and PL (Pre-Lyrics) 15 while moving. Background amplification is not bad but future versions should look at filtering of some type or audio shaping.

Two things that have me wondering:

The fit and comfort seems to change without anything I can corelate to…yesterday Right ear pressure almost to the point of pain and today almost unnoticeable. Left ear yesterday unnoticeable but today pressure…Hmmm… slept on it wrong?

Second on occasion the sounds become very “speaker like” as if I am listening to a radio while most of the time it is much more natural. Can’t seem to figure out why or if triggered by something. My own voice is that way often natural but occasionally sounding like I am hearing it through a speaker system. Not awful just curious…

Showered this morning without problems and am feeling much better about these except for the above items.

Today I couldn’t take my headaches anymore. I know the doctor said that they couldn’t be related but it was too much of a coincidence. My friend help take them out (which was not as easy as they make it sound - and is painful). But my headache never went away - I even had discomfort in my ear throughout the day. I saw my Chiropractor after 3 months and he said that my neck was so bad that it was causing not only the problem with my head but also my ear and jaw (it was a little weird biting on one side). So now I am getting them put back in tomorrow. I know that this too shall pass. I have to tell you though - i really liked the amount of hearing those little things give you. What a difference today as I couldn’t even hear or understand my children too well if I wasn’t looking at them. Only negative thing I see right now is the difficulty sleeping as it is hard to get comfortable with them. I’ll let you all know how tomorrow goes.

Hi all, My name is Shannon Basham, Au.D. I am an audiologist who works with Insound Medical. I hope this information helps.

The exterior of Lyric is made of a soft material specifically designed to contour to the ear canal. This soft exterior helps make Lyric comfortable to wear for most people, however, there are a small percentage of people who cannot wear Lyric due to pain or discomfort.

After an initial adjustment period of 7-14 days most patients no longer feel Lyric in their ear. Some patients do experience initial discomfort that may be alleviated by an over the-counter pain reliever. If a patient experiences not just discomfort but actual pain, they should see their ENT physician or audiologist.

You may notice some initial discomfort sleeping. Try to sleep with as little direct pressure on your ears as possible. Sleeping on your back is ideal. If your ear is itchy, do not scratch or pull at the ear. Instead, gently massage the side of your face near your ear. An over-the-counter antihistamine may also help.

For many people, hearing loss progresses slowly over years, so it’s not unusual for things to sound a bit loud or strange when you first wear a hearing device. The voices of your friends and loved ones – and perhaps even your own voice – may sound different for a while. At first, you may also notice normal environmental sounds such as the refrigerator running, tires on the car turning, and heels clicking on the floor while walking. Within a short period of time, you’ll notice such sounds less as they become part of your everyday hearing world.

Regards,
Shannon M. Basham, Au.D.

I’m extremely interested in Insound Lyric and I’m concerned that there are few audiologists with sufficient experience for me to trust my ears to them.

I live in Palo Alto, CA. San Jose Ear Association and Rehab services in San Jose apparently have yet to do their first one.

I’m happy to go to lower East Bay or San Francisco or further if appropriate. Can you help me build confidence in an audiologist who has a successful history with them?

Welcome to forum, Shannon.

Dragob

what is your yearly comitment in terms of $$$$
is it really worth it?

I would also consider the resound BE…

After hitting 40, I decided to no longer ignore my hearing loss. I had tested a few years ago and had 60 db loss and a recent test showed 70 db getting past the moderate hearing loss range. Time to take action. However, the dilemma was that it would be need to be fairly invisible as I work in the investment field, with direct client interactions from time to time. Here comes my savior - Lyric.

Initial impressions - It was a breeze to install as I had a straight and big ear canal according to the audiologist. For those with narrow and curved canals, the current solution maybe infeasible. However, a newer version could address this issue within a year or so. When it was initially installed, there was no feedback. However, after a few days, if I place a finger close to the canal, I had some feedback. Again, it was not very loud. However, there is no feedback when placing the phone headset on the ear. In terms of hearing clarity, I would rate it more than satisfactory. I am able to hear women much better now. In large meetings , it is so much easier to be an active participant, since hearing better makes you feel more confident. You wear this 24/7 and can also use it while showering. I will need to test in large seminars and see how it would shape up. Everything sounds loud. Volume adjustment is a breeze. You can hear the birds, the beeps of elevator arriving, you name it, you can hear it. I used to listen the TV at volume level 12, now I am good with 8. My wife is relieved I think!! She sounds loud too…you can always alter the volume with a magnetic wand…Bars? Very loud…

The negatives: Itchy sensation from time to time. The initial feeling of pain/discomfort goes away 4-5 days. But, I still feel some itchy sensation from time to time. However, this discomfort is heavily outweighed by the advantages. Also, I think having neutral color for the foam pads (instead of the current yellow) will make it even more invisible. Regardless, this is most invisible of all hearing aids out in the market today!!

Conclusion: I would highly recommend this solution for your hearing loss.

Can you wear these while swimming? If not, do you have to wear earplugs or is there another solution?

They say you can use it for swimming but not diving… but you know what? Giving up swimming is a small price to pay for the benefits you get out of it…

I have had the chance to wear it for over 2 weeks now. The issues I have now includes tinny sound from TV. Not always, but for some ads or noisy situations, it sounds pretty irritating. So it is not a perfect solution yet…but probably one of the best currently available if you value discretion yet want to retain the ability to hear better.

I purchased Lyric aids four months ago and would say that, overall, I am satisfied. I am active in the business world and deliver seminars and workshops to 28-55 year old audiences where mature middle age is a plus, old age is not. I was having increasing difficulty hearing women in the back of the room. it was difficult to distinguish the words of women, and sometimes men with foreign accents, on the telephone. In noisy restaurants many words were lost from people sitting at the same table with me.

The Lyric successfully solved the first two problems. The third one, noisy restaurants, is still a challenge. In fact on higher volume settings it is probably worse. I pick up so many sounds at the high end that it drowns out the conversation of a person next to me. I’m still experimenting and have made some progress. By turning the volume quite low, the conversation sounds improve a lot.

The positives of the Lyric:

1. It is invisible.

2. You comfortably (after awhile even totally unaware of it) wear it 24 hours a day. When first installed it was uncomfortable for 3-4 days. On my second installation, the discomfort only lasted 1 day.

3. It is easily adjustable and others will likely not even be aware you are adjusting the volume

4. You can simply turn it to your normal hearing or turn it off (it then acts as ear plugs) and lets you sleep when there are noises around you.

5. They really are maintenance free. The only maintenance required is when the battery wears out. It is self-contained and you just get a new device when it expires. They indicate that the battery lasts approx. 110 days for the typical patient. My first ones only lasted 40 (I think it was a showering water problem). I’m on my second one installation now.

The negatives:

1. You do shower with it. It is water resistant, but not water proof. For the first few months I followed their advise to minimize the amount of water that got into my ears when showering. I still got some in, which dimished hearing temporarily and this sometimes caused loud feedback until I absorbed the water with a kleenex. I solved this problem by using a moldable wax type substance to block the ear opening. It quickly molds into place and is reusable for several days. It can be purchased at drugstores and is sold to prevent swimmers ears.

2. The problem with noisy environments (restaurants) I discussed above. The problem is the Lyric is a single channel instrument and the high sounds cannot be turned down while keeping the middle range high. The volume has to be the same for all of them.

3. It is expensive. You pay a subscription fee at the beginning of each enrollment year. Then everything is free – replacement aids (when the batteries wear out) are put in as many times as necessary with no additional cost. If you lose the control device a new one is provided free.

It is certainly not perfect, but It is a good solution. I’m suspect it will get even better over time as the they overcome some of the technological limitations – since you are on a subscripiton basis you receive the latest device when the batteries expire.

One last thought. Your brain is an integral part of the hearing loop. It takes time for it to adapt to sounds it is hearing. I find that, at 4 months on the Lyric, things are getting more and more natural. I’m sure that at one year they will be even more so.

I tried it and decided not to buy it. It was only slightly better in a few situations than the hearing aid I have. There is no automatic transitioning for background noise. You can lower the volume, but I disagree that no one will notice you doing that. If you take a metal stick out of your purse or pocket, unscrew the cap and hold it first to one ear and then the other while you listen intently for the volume beeps, the person sitting across from you will know you are doing something, since you can’t continue talking at the same time.

For people who are really concerned about the cosmetic effect–it is truly invisible–it is worth looking into. I found it comfortable day and night, and soon no longer felt it in my ears.

There is so much competition in the hearing aid market that I am sure the price will come down, if they expect to sell it to the general public rather than to just to the wealthy retired to whom their advertising is directed.

Have worn them for one week, and so far so good . . .

Minor discomfort for the first few days, but I feel them less and less. You have to be pro-active with the audiologist about getting the default amplification setting right, and this may require a few trips back to allow time to test different settings in different environments. I’ve found a setting where sounds are very natural and not too loud. There are situations (e.g., big meetings) where I might like them a bit louder, so I adjust them up as necessary.

I live in NYC, and here it is particularly important to pick a default amplification setting that can handle street noise without driving you nuts. The devices have a “compression” function, which depresses amplification when sounds are particularly loud. This creates an annoying periodic on-and-off effect out on the street, which I find tolerable without so-called “high frequency boost” but intolerable with it. That’s why it is important to test different amplification settings in different environments - there will be a trade-off between your ability to hear in difficult situations and your ability to tolerate general sound distortion and excessive volume. I’ve found that it’s much better to choose a lower default setting with minimal distortion as opposed to a higher one with more distortion. If you’re only adjusting up in rare circumstances, you’ll be a lot happier this way.

My right device died after only 5 days, which my audiologist thinks was just a fluke. I’m hoping that’s the case. Under the assumption that the devices should last 3 months on average, they allow you up to 12 per year for the subscription price.

On balance, so far I am very pleased with the Lyrics. I am too vain to wear visible hearing aids on most occasions (I kept a pair which I only used for plays and conferences), and these are the only invisible ones out there. The initial discomfort was small, and has diminished to almost nothing. And the sound quality is better than I expected.

Assuming your Lyric supplier will give you a trial (they gave me 4 days free, and then 6 weeks for $350 before the yearly subscription fee kicked in), they are well worth trying.

Tanker,

Glad to hear about your positive experience. I started on the Lyrics July 3rd and have been real happy with them so far. I also had one die and another start buzzing after a short period of use, but most have been fine. I just replaced my right one after 90 days of use which I hope to be the norm.

I found the low frequency cut to be perfect for me around 1200 which really cut out the background noise.

Regards!