Low ,mid and high frequency sounds?

What are the ranges of low , mid and high frequency sounds? My question may sound simple but I got confused. Thanks.

Are you referring just to speech sounds or all sounds generally?

All sounds in general.

Check this out…I think it might give you the answers you are looking for:

http://www.listentalk.org/downloads/Audiogr_Familiar_Sounds_08.pdf

or hopefully my attempt to attach another version worked…lol

If you look at sounds in general then you need to appreciate the octave scale.

Middle C on the piano is 512 Hz which should tell you roughly where to start from. The test tones either side roughly equate to the Cs up and down the piano keyboard. In terms of your hearing loss, most sounds are measured in the medium to high frequency for Adult Hearing. Children can hear well upto 20kHz, but we lose that through early adulthood. Which basically means that most kids can hear an octave or two higher than most adults. Therefore your subjective interpretation of what is high, will not be the same as somebody younger or with more sensitive hearing.

At the low end of the scale different sized eardrums play more of a part, as the physical transfer of sound-waves below 50Hz becomes more about displacement than ‘sound’. You’ll tend to feel a 20Hz sound more than hear it. Again some people are more sensitive than others to these sounds.

Actually, Middle C is 262.626Hz, which is closest to 250Hz on an audiometer. You were an octave off.

I know this because Starkey invented the piano, and music.:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks but the link won’t work.

The image is a speech banana :slight_smile:

When you are trying to think about this, consider the sounds we making in speech, this being generally for most people the sounds they hope to recover with a hearing aid.

http://www.hearinghealthcarecenters.com/images/SpeechBanana.jpg

This picture shows what they call a ‘speech banana’ which is the banana-like shape on the audiogram picture I just showed you the link for.

You can see within the banana some of the phonetic sounds we make in language. For example a Z and a V are low pitched and quiet. M, E, U are louder and low pitch, which is why they are shown further down the audiogram.

In the high frequency you have sounds like, S, F, TH, and so on. And in the middle… well you get the idea.

Good hearing is all about ensuring you can hear as many of these speech sounds in the most natural way possible. Any that you miss causes gaps in your hearing, which means your brain has to play its own game of mental hangman to figure out what the ears didn’t pick up.

I was told middle C was 261.625565 Hertz. Whoever wrote into Wikipedia was off a little.

Yes but it has the sounds of speech broken down into which sounds fall around what frequency plus common environmental noises and where they fall re:frequency and intensity.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for. Your original question is vague.

I wanto to learn something like that as follows

0-1000 hz is low frequency
1000-2000 hz is mid frequency
2000 and more is high frequency

I guess I am wrong . What are correct ranges ?

Ah, okay I get it. Honestly, I think you have it broken down quite well.

250-750 Hz I’d say is a low-frequency sound
1000 - 2000Hz is mid-frequency
3000 - 8000Hz is High-frequency.

there’s no official break down though…

Interestingly, there is some debate on the subject. I found this article:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/DanielleDaly.shtml

However regardless of the debate, the original assertion that it was anywhere close to 500Hz is certainly not a position anyone is taking.

My piano is broken.

:o