Low Carb Diet has led to hearing improvement!

Fresh produce loses nutritional value over time after it is picked. So it’s not so much where it was grown, but how long it took to travel to your table that is the trouble.

Or, in my case, how long it sits in the fridge.

1 Like

Low Carb and/or weight loss can reduce inflammation. In some cases, inflammation in the ear area can strangle the blood flow. When you loose excess weight which also reduces inflammation, you can get some hearing back if that is the cause of your loss. Some bariatric patients have had this result after weight loss, so it is not rare, but maybe not docmented.

Reduced blood flow to the ear damages the ear, yes, but the ear does not heal once it has been damaged.

I agree with you there. I believe that there was still blood flow but reduced blood flow. I’m no expert on this in any way. Reduced blood flow is one of the hazards of diabetes, but my ENT doesn’t think that is why I suddenly lost hearing. He has his theories though.

It may work for some but it never worked for me, I have lost over 60 pounds with keto, and also just a plain low carb diet, which is the only way that I can lose weight. But my hearing loss hasn’t improved one bit and it has even gotten worse over the 10 years I have been following the diet. It all depends on what has caused the hearing loss.

My ENT asked my if I had any autoimmune issues that run in my family… as a possible reason for my sudden hearing loss at 24. There’s a few autoimmune diseases in my extended family but no premature hearing loss.

Keto diets are supposed to help with autoimmune diseases so it’s possible there’s a link there.

1 Like

I’m curious, were you tested for diabetes or pre-diabetes before starting the diet?

I have low blood sugar and have had it for as long as I can remember. Just never to the point that any of my doctors seem to be concerned

Hi! Greetings! What hearing aids are you using. And how is your hearing now?

Yeah, my own 2-cents’ worth here: autoimmune runs in family as well as STONE DEAFNESS. I’ve been whole plant-based in diet for 5 years and can promise you, even this anti-inflammatory diet has done nothing to improve my hearing. I took flushing niacin pills for years, tried gingko, would stand on my HEAD if that’s what it took to improve my hearing.

Sadly, I yam what I yam, and I yam a set of BRICK EARS thanks to my genetics. Ain’t no amount of exercise, spinach or what-have-you that’s gonna improve my hearing. :neutral_face:

1 Like