Loop System in a Church

Hey there, just hoping that someone out there could offer up some help for me. I am trying to figure out the best way to get a loop system into a smallish/mediumish sized church.

From what I understand, (please correct me if I am wrong) I basically need a wireless transmitter for a loop system, the neck loop things, and then people can either use binaural headphones or Tcoils on there aids. I hope that I understand this correct so far…

So I am online looking for “wireless transmitters” and not having much luck. I am finding all kinds of stuff, but not exactly what I am thinking of, which leads me to believe that maybe I don’t understand what I am looking for and may be in fact looking for something that I don’t need… Any help or suggestions anyone? I am pretty new to this so please explain like I am 2.:smiley:

You don’t need a wireless transmitter. The loop acts as the wireless system. Basically, the loop is attached to the sound system via an amplifier. People with t-coils in their hearing aids will need to activate the t-coil, usually with a push of a button, and then they will hear whatever is in the sound system. However, if you wish for non-hearing aid people to use the system, you will need to purchase small, loop receivers which will have a headphone jack. I use one such receiver, AudioLINK-MI, which has a volume control and headphone jack. It sounds wonderful! Another plus is that these receivers are small and consume small amounts of power so that the batteries last a very long time. I think these systems make more sense for churches than do the fm system. I highly recommend www.hearingloop.org for more information. LET"S LOOP AMERICA!!!:smiley:

Thanks ^^^
I have seen their site, and it talks about what you are also referring to, but I am wondering about how you could use a wireless transmitter w/ a loop system. I understand that it’s not the typical way, but that’s kind of what I am wondering about. Thanks for the advice though. From what I was told, using the wireless transmitter cost is less, then people w/ tcoils would use a neck loop, and people w/out could use headsets. That is my understanding, anyone know any more detail than that. I am having a tough time finding the wireless transmitters, although maybe I just don’t know what I am looking for…
The way it was explained to me, doing it this way would by-pass having to run the actual wire loop around the perimeter of the area you want to cover.

If you’re using a true loop system (which is cheaper than an FM system), those with hear aids with t-coil would NOT need a neckloop. A neckloop is the same thing as your loop system. People w/o t-coil would need a receiver that picks up the transmission from the loop.

I think you’re looking for an FM system. In that way, yes, the people with t-coil would use a neckloop and those w/o would use an earpiece/headphone.

Search for “fm systems for churches”. Again, I believe that would be more expensive than the loop system. Perhaps infrared would be cheaper, but you need “line of sight” for that.

Ok, I was confused, now I am not…
Basically, what I was being told about was an FM system, nothing more, but when it was explained, for whatever reason, he didn’t say, “it’s an FM system” or I misunderstood.
That being said, I am now trying to decide which would be better to use for my purpose. Pros and cons stuff.
Thanks for the input, feel free to add any info.
I would like the idea of tcoil users being able to just switch it over and use it w/out any additional devices, but the install ect, seems trickier, than just hooking up a transmitter and using the neckloops. From what I can tell, the FMs do seem less expensive as well.
Anyone have any preferences one way or the other?:smiley:

I installed a home loop system for my TV and it works great. Very cheap and easy to implement in a room no larger than 25’ X 25’. It’s nice to be able to hear TV clearly without wearing a neck loop or headphones. Here’s where I bought my loop system. There’s a lot of good info on this site.
http://hearinglosshelp.com/products/univoxdls50.htm

They even tell you how to use an old PA amplifier or stereo amplifier to create a home loop system. Using their instructions I made one using the amplifier from an old pair of computer speakers. It worked but the volume was too low. The amp was only about 5 watts. I then built a 15 watt amp from a 10.00 kit and it was plenty loud enough.

Don