Looking for Noise Blocking Earbuds with a 3.5 mm Audio Jack

I’m looking for noise blocking earbuds like the ones in the photo. They need to fit completely in my ear, with a 3.5 mm audio jack that I can plug in to my iPhone or Domino Pro assisted listening device.

I’m deaf in my right ear (single sided deafness, SSD) and have been connecting an earbud to my Domino Pro assisted listening device. With it, I can hear well in restaurants and at meetings, which has been great. Unfortunately, my current pair died and is out of warranty.

From what I’ve read, for use in restaurants, noise blocking earbuds (which physically block sound) work better than noise cancelling ones (which add a signal to cancel background noise), because noise cancelling ones work best when the background noise is constant, like an airplane engine, which lets them put out a constant signal to cancel that noise.

I’m especially interested in getting just one mono earbud, because the second earbud is useless for my non-hearing ear. I’ve had mixed results cutting off the second earbud – sometimes the unit still works, and sometimes it doesn’t. But I’m willing to take that chance!

I’d appreciate any experience and advice you could give me. Does anyone have experience with Etymotic’s mk5 Isolator Earphones? They’re about $65 and have good reviews.

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes

I used a set of Ety HF3 for a while and was very impressed with their isolation with the triple flange silicone. With the mic active through the app on my iPhone 4, I had no trouble walking about along busy streets. So I would certainly give another Etymotic product a solid try out.

0 Likes

Brian,

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind.

– Ed

0 Likes