Long threads

Curious what others think when threads get past several hundred posts (KS8 and KS9 threads are both well past 700)? I find it very unwieldy, but am curious of others takes. Is there any AI that could break threads into subthreads? (might be humorous!) I guess my post has two questions:1) Are long threads a problem? and 2) If so, what is a good solution? Thanks.

No, not an issue.

Look at how many iOS 13.x threads there are - for those of us having iOS 13 issues and looking for info / status / solution, multiple threads are a nightmare.

I find the search tool on Hearing Tracker works well for long threads, and less well for finding answers across multiple threads. YMMV

2 Likes

Yes, I find it overwhelming sometimes too… And due to the lazy loading, one cannot use the browser’s search function without first scrolling through the entire page. Kind of a pain, but agree with @teejayess that the built-in search works well enough to find what I’m looking for usually.

1 Like

Although one thing that’s “schizophrenic” about the AI on this site is the following two-fold split:

1. You go to start a new thread - the AI often asks you if you really want to do it based on your topic title because it’s found a bunch of old threads that it thinks are similar - but often the similarity is just a crazy “AI” mix-up.

2. Or, you find an old thread that you think would be ideal to add a new comment to but if the thread is much older than several months old, the “AI” discourages you from posting in the thread as you’ll alert all the previous posters who the AI imagines, because they haven’t posted recently, consider the thread over and done with. This “AI” effectively encourages splitting a topic across multiple threads, e.g., how many different threads on molds vs. domes, wind noise, etc., are there?

The forum software has a bookmarking function. Perhaps showing my ignorance of how tthe site works, it would be nice if the forum had either a manual or automatic “grouping” function so as the user went along, he/she could group or tag threads according to personally useful topics of interest. It would probably add unnecessary complication but it might be interesting if you could share your group of bookmarks on a certain topic with someone else in a concise way.

Right now SEARCH is the best way of discovering what’s out there but there is very little way of transferring topic organization to someone else except by creating a post with links, which itself gets lost in the ocean. I think a lot of people, though, don’t want to be bothered with organization and past history and just want a more ad hoc conversational mode that’s “in the moment.”

1 Like

I suspect that if a new user joins and wants info about the KS9 for example, they are not going to read that whole thread. Not sure what the solution is.

I guess one could have curated Wiki’s. The best forum that I’ve been a member of was very strongly moderated, organized by topic, and had sticky Wiki-like posts on how to start as a beginner on a particular topic and then move on from there to more advanced considerations. But then how to handle the tech of a particular smartphone and smartphone OS is probably a lot simpler than topics in hearing loss as for starters every smartphone of a particular brand and model comes into the world with the same specs and behaviors initially. Not so with hearing loss and hearing user preferences, etc.

I’m not familiar with those threads…and I haven’t been here long enough to know how it rolls…but I can comment generally speaking, with experience on other forums (other subject matter)

1. if it’s a subject you care about and you’ve been participating all along…no big deal.
  2. if a person is new to the thread…either finding it by searching or just new in general to the forum…it’s just plain ridiculous to consider the whole thread so often a person might chime in regarding the latest few posts…which might have crept far from the topic…and then that just drifts it further along some side track…or others will have interjected related but different questions or topics…and it’s just overwhelming to sort through.
  3. Long threads like that usually will drift off and back on topic to some degree. Eventually there’s so much thread creep that it becomes nearly meaningless.
  4. if it’s a heating issue for you…something you’ve found by searching for it and something you really care about, then it’s gold if you can find a thread that has tons and tons of info addressing your question.
1 Like

I find very annoying that replies appears always duplicated, first as reply and as independent comment. That contributes to make long threads worse.

I’m finding the same frustrating issues with every 3rd person starting a new thread on Phonak Marvels and issues they are having with them… As mentioned above use the search function.

2 Likes

Long threads are fine with me if they stay on subject. It’s the off subject matter that takes away the ability to search a subject when trying to learn something or share something. Off subject matter has honestly gotten out of hand on many threads.