Little difference noted in hearing acuity

Your low frequency hearing loss is right there at the point of needing custom ear molds. It sure might be worth trying.

2 Likes

I have the Jabra EP 20s and have very noticeable high frequency improvement. Most noticeable streaming music and women’s voices. Did you not get a flood of new sounds when you got your aids?

I say ‘what’ now as much as others say ‘what’ to me :joy:. So it is a definite improvement. I found the manual ‘beam focusing’ feature of the Restaurant program most helpful in noisy situations. (I added that feature to my Hear in Noise program of the EP 20s.) It is very obvious to me.

BTW have your HCP increase the Streaming Bass Boost under accessories in the fitting software. It should help with Bluetooth streaming… especially in lew of closed domes.

Custom molds certainly will make a big difference, especially since there are fitting issues with the domes.

My concern is that if the Jabra hearing aid gets returned. Will Costco make new molds at no additional cost for a different band of hear aid they sell? Does anybody know the answer?

Personally I would give Costco a quick call for the right answer.
Good luck.

1 Like

A flood of new sounds with the aids? Well, I do notice much more “brightness” (more HFs) when the aids are on. And I am a birder, and I can definitely now hear some bird calls that before were totally lost. But, I wouldn’t say it was a flood of new sounds.

You mentioned another issue I have with my Costco aids group. They ( I assume “they”, but somebody …) removed all the programs from my aid except All Around and Hear in Noise. When I asked about the restaurant program, they said it was the same as one of these two programs and that I didn’t need it. I wonder if I should try another hearing aid group at a different Costco? I live in the DFW area.

1 Like

The restaurant program is now called hear-in-noise. So Costco is correct.

They can add an outdoor program, a music program, and a phone program.

Since you are a birder, an outdoor program may be of helpful, since the directionality is set to omni.

2 Likes

I (76-yr old) also had the very same problem, my audiogram shows severe high-frequency lost, moderate mid range and mild-to moderate low frequency loss. Typical gradual loss with age. I always need to lower the volume to min, since it’s disturbing loud. Tv-also feel improvement with lower volume needed.

But my speech understanding, especially in noisy environment, car during driving and etc - no improvement much I have noticed? Even if my omni-directional receivers periodically automatically switch between the two microphones nested in the behind the ears piece and the receiver microphone inside the ears receivers.

Instead of Costco retail brand Jabra from GN Resound brand I use Resound Omnia 9 HA with additional 3d microphone inside the ears - so called advanced M&RIE receivers. Go figure out why we, the users, w/ severe hight frequency loss seems are not taking full advantage of HA that are one of the best brand for hearing and understanding speech in noisy environments?