Lithium polymer or Lithium Ion

I am seriously considering replacing my old Win7 desktop PC. I can’t decide if I should get another desktop or a laptop. I do have an iPad which does just about everything that a laptop could do.

The laptops that I have a researched have lithium polymer batteries. What is the difference between Lithium polymer and Lithium Ion?

I just researched the difference in both batteries and I am no smarter. Ion being more powerful and polymer lasting longer? Someone mentioned just trust the item you are purchasing because OEM knows what they are doing and why they use one or the other. Poly are more expensive.

Ion can fit into tinier places. oh well from reading so much I will just be content with whatever battery they use.

This article is about 3 years old so it may be a bit out-of-date but perhaps it adds some information that you haven’t seen?

Lithium Ion vs. Lithium Polymer Batteries – Which Is Better? - RAVPower.

My own perspective on getting a desktop-like computer that doesn’t need a battery (other than for its clock!) and getting a battery-powered laptop is how much mobility you want in computing (and how big a screen). If you plan to move around a lot with a computer, you probably want a battery powered laptop, tablet, or 2-in-1 device. And perhaps it has to be light in weight, etc. If you plan to do most of your computer consumption in one place and like a big screen, maybe a desktop would be better (although you can use a docking station or a video cable of some sort to turn a small device into a big screen device).

I don’t know that they make many laptops these days with removable batteries but if I wanted the best of both, I think I’d get a laptop with a removable or replaceable battery: I’ve used my wife’s old 2011 clunker Gateway NV59 laptop for years on AC power with its removable battery stored in the refrigerator door “security” department in a loosely wrapped plastic bag at 45 deg F (and recharged a bit ~every 6 months after letting it warm to room temperature in its bag). According to the Gateway software, the battery charge capacity is still good as new - so 9 years later, I still have a portable computer with a brand new battery in it (when I actually want to be charging and discharging the battery).

As old as we are, though, any new computer and its battery may well outlast us and one could always take the view that having lived as long as we have, it’s time to treat oneself to the computational device(s) that one would most like to have and batteries, smatteries, just get what you want from a reputable computer maker, take reasonable care of the device (and maybe check out the possibility and the price of replacing whatever battery it has if needed someday down the line).

Hi Jim,

My biggest quandary is a desktop or a laptop. I see pros and cons for each. I think what I will do now is just relax and wait.

Thank you so much for your soon reply. I will digest everything you said.

I moved to strictly laptop from my older desktop system. My current laptop is something of a power system, but I am super happy with it, even if it’s maybe 5+ years old now. I couldn’t tell you the battery chemistry, not that I really have a choice anyway. This is my current ASUS N76 laptop and what’s important to me. I couldn’t tell you what I’d buy today, but it would need to be close to this, just faster:

• 17" LCD - most are not this big, but it’s essential for me
  • Backlit keyboard with number pad
  • Optical drive (rare these days)
  • 4 USB incl USB3 (nowadays you see fewer, but USB Type C exists now)
  • Video out over HDMI and DB-15. The latter is outdated.
  • Two 1-TB Hard disk drives. I replaced one with SDD.
  • Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth. Ethernet might be hard to find these days.
  • Audio in and out (headphone, mic, line in & out, etc).

I find this easily matched and exceeded my desktop experience. And it’s portable and has a camera (Zoom meetings). Having said that, you can get Docking Stations for dirt cheap and those little black boxes supply pretty much all the ports you would need.

If you have and enjoy using an iPad, you might like a convertible laptop. With a convertible, you gain a touch screen. Some also support a stylus as an option. My previous laptop was convertible. Although I never used it as a tablet, I did find the touch screen convenient. My newest laptop does not have the touch screen and I sometimes find myself swiping the screen hoping for something to happen. Not only is it embarrassing, it’s irritating to have to figure out how to do something that would be intuitive with a touch screen.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I did order a dell AMD Rizen 5 but then canceled because I could not get delivery till November 7. In some areas their website is a little picky but on other pages it is excellent. It will make a change in about two seconds.

I would like a touchscreen, backlit, 8 RAM and 256 SSD. A CD drive would be nice but I don’t think many have that any longer unless you go to the higher end price wise. I research a lot but I am able to do it on my tablet. I also like to have voice recognition which the Dell has and I think many windows 10. I think Apple does not.

I probably could do very well with less RAM as I have a tendency to not leave many sites open. On my old 11 yr old Windows 7 I have 8 RAM and 1 TB HD. SSD Will be very nice as they all have that today.

Just a side note. One has to know so much. I called Lenovo and they lied to me saying that Dell manufactures their PCs in Korea or China. Then my grandson informed me that all manufactures have foreign components and then they may put it together in the US or some other friendly country.

Don’t lie to me because eventually I may catch it.

I’m not sure what the heck this has to do with hearing aids, but for the past 4 years I have traveled the world as a nuclear communications consultant with nothing more than a wifi 128g iPad and the requisite software. I’ve been most happy.

I always carry an iPad Pro with cellular service. When I leave the house, both the iPad and iPhone make the journey. If I am working on spreadsheets or technical documents, I prefer a laptop over the iPad. I find Apple’s Numbers program a poor substitute for Excel. I can get buy with LibreOffice on Windows laptop. Typing on a good keyboard permits me to fall into my robotic typist trance, which means I type from 100-130 wpm. On my iPad, using a bluetooth keyboard, I type probably a third that speed and I am never as focused because I have to think about how the pad formats my text.

Regarding the CD or DVD drive, in a bind you can always buy an external drive. By having an external DVD drive, your laptop is smaller, lighter and only slightly limited if you suddenly need the drive.

I wear Oticon OPNs with various suffixes. With the Apple products, the MIFI connection is nice but sometimes a bit flaky. When I need sound on my HP laptop, I have to use the Oticon Connect. I never can remember which buttons to push to pair it up to my laptop. It normally gets paired up with less than a minute of experimentation.

I always remove one hearing add to monitor laptop sound to be certain I am not sharing audio with the hearing world. Ain’t technology grand.

This is the SOCIAL catagory, here is the header.

About the Social category](/t/about-the-social-category/33514/3)

Want to get to know other forum users in a less hearing-loss / hearing-aid focused way? Please keep the random social encounters here slight_smile

1 Like

I think if whatever device you get has a USB-C, USB 3.1, or Thunderbolt port, you will be in good shape. You can always attach more peripherals via a hub.

It’s too bad that ReSound TV Streamer 2’s are so relatively expensive compared to the Phonak TV streamer. Having a TV Streamer 2 for your new computational device would give you a relatively low latency audio connection direct to your HA’s (the Preza’s, I recall).

Perhaps if whatever you get now is not upgradable to BT 5.2 and the LC3 codec, there will be USB BT dongles that confer that functionality on whatever device you get when and if you want that connectivity to go with your future HA’s!. Although @d_Wooluf would probably be the one to offer expert advice on likely upgrade paths and whether any computing device that one gets just right now is going to be future-proof for BT LE Audio.

• 17" LCD - most are not this big, but it’s essential for me

• Backlit keyboard with number pad
    [Number pad unusual - but maybe on “super-sized” laptop]

• Optical drive (rare these days)

• 4 USB incl USB3 (nowadays you see fewer, but USB Type C exists now)

• Video out over HDMI and DB-15. The latter is outdated.
    HDMI fairly std. Came w. my 4 y.o. ASUS

• Two 1-TB Hard disk drives. I replaced one with SDD.
    SSD now std. altho usually 500 Mb

• Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth. Ethernet might be hard to find these days.

• Audio in and out (headphone, mic, line in & out, etc).

I think virtually all laptops have both audio and video in/out – especially in this era of “Zoom”.

Dell are pretty good on the phone. Their website is a mixed bag for sure. You can also chat, but it will be with someone in India.

If you can get a bigger SSD, do it. Or add it later yourself. I added a 1TB SDD to my old Asus and it was $107. A Sata to USB cable was another $12. I was amazed at how well my primary hdd drive copied over and I think only one audio driver was not working and the support was incredible. No licensing issues.

I think if one wants as future-proof a device as possible and a pretty powerful computer, you’d want more than 8 Gb of RAM and also a separate GPU with a significant amount of VRAM (4K or 8K videos, anyone?). (the best modern video and photo editing software can take advantage of parallel processing available in some GPU’s to speed editing). One would want a Gen 4.0 PCIe bus, etc. And the system drive should be at least an NVMe M.2 SSD, a lot faster than a SSD that functions through a SATA connection with an ACHI driver. Getting the latest and the greatest can quickly become expensive so deciding how much computer you might really need and use on into the future is probably the best thing to do for starters.

I was originally going to wait on getting a new computer for direct connectivity with new HA’s via BT LE Audio but with COVID-19 coming along, decided I might not live that long and I’d rather enjoy a new computer now and worry about direct connectivity with HA’s later

Thank you Jim and Grant and all others who have enlightened me so much about computers. I do not understand half of that terminology that you are using. I know USB 1 USB 2. I know nothing about a C3 and Ethernet etc. I know what SSD and RAM is but that is about it. AMD and Intel.

I have never had to repair or know technology because where I lived before I had a computer tech who would come out for $40 an hour. He was very good and he also answered questions via email. So unfortunately I have let a lot of this technology escape me.

I use Gmail and AOL. My AOL has gone south. I am connected but cannot sign on. I have dug very deeply into tech help and what I did did not work. I still like AOL because their system does more than Gmail does. :crazy_face: