List of commonly used acronyms on this forum

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am very happy to be here because I am learning so much. But I am having a problem with acronyms. They are all new to me and I have figured out most of them in regular computer posts but here I am totally lost. Perhaps someone could write a post with a list for all or most acronyms that are being used. For me that would be Superfragalisticexpialadosis. Thank you in advance.

IKR? :wink: Every discipline has its own language.

I don’t know what your experience is with hearing aids so please forgive me if I’m being too basic.

First things first. It’s important to know that in hearing-aid-ese a speaker is referred to as a ‘receiver’. Not sure why, but it is what it is. That leads us to the most fundamental acronyms: the basic hearing aid types.

First is CIC, or Completely In the Canal. This device has both the microphone and the receiver in a single housing which fits completely inside your ear canal. Second is RIC, or Receiver In the Canal. A RIC device has the microphones placed in a housing which sits behind your ear and has a slim wire that feeds into a receiver positioned inside your ear. The third is BTE, or Behind The Ear. This hearing aid type generally looks just like a RIC except the microphones and receiver are both stuffed into the portion that sits behind the ear and the sound is projected down a hollow tube into the ear canal.

So RIC and CIC both put the receiver inside your ear, whereas BTE puts the receiver outside your ear and funnels the sound through a tube.

Another batch of fundamental acronyms are associated with hearing loss types and characterization. Hearing loss is plotted on a special type of graph, known as an audiogram. On an audiogram the x axis denotes frequency in hertz (hz), and the y axis denotes decibels of hearing loss (dbHL). The y axis starts with 0 on the top (perfect hearing!) and 120 on the bottom (deaf as a rock :-(); and the x axis starts at 125 hz (bass) on the left and increases to 8000 hz (treble) as you move further right. If your audiogram shows 60 dbHL at 4000hz, that means sound at 4000hz needs to be 60 db louder for you than a typical person in order for you to hear it.

Open up a web browser to a picture of an audiogram. Now imagine that audiogram is a rectangular cookie and take a bite out of the top of it. That’s a cookie bite hearing loss - good hearing for low bass, good hearing for treble, but everything in the middle sucks. Now you can use the same exercise to visualize a ski-slope loss.

Hearing losses can also have different root causes. A CHL, or Conductive Hearing Loss, occurs when something is stopping the sound waves from getting through the ear to the ear drum; whereas as SNHL, or Sensorineural Hearing Loss, occurs when the tiny hair cells inside the ear that are sensitive to vibrations are damaged.

Hope this helps! I’m sure smarter folks than I will be able to add more to the list as time goes on. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Alvin thank you so much. There have been other acronyms like about miles per hour or something with VMM or YMM or something like that and I didn’t have a clue. I think I may have the Sensorial where a lot of little cilia in my cochlea are probably dead. I don’t know. I have had HA’s for 15 years but even though the last pair which are Sonic fitted by an Audio I never had REM. in fact my very first Siemens were fitted by a guy who used to be a musician. LOL

YMMV is a common one around here, Your Mileage May Vary. That is, everyone experiences things differently.

1 Like

My best suggestion is to try doing a Google search of the acronym. I’ve been around here a few years and I still end up doing that at times. Sometimes it takes multiple searches with slight variations. If all else fails, ask what the person meant.

3 Likes

Will do. Thank you for the suggestion. I will probably learn a bunch of them soon. I

Actually I am 100% with you on this! I have perhaps an unnatural hatred of acronyms, not just because they force you to do extra work to understand what you are saying, but the violence they do to the English language generally. Language is supposed to be a tool of communication. It should not make you have to jump through hoops to try to understand what what is being said. Also it smacks of elitism (I know what I just said, but you will have to work to attain my level of competence, articulation, intelligence and understanding). One should have to ask him/herself how hard it is to keep the caps key depressed while typing out an acronym compared to actually typing out clear words instead.

5 Likes

That was a great post and very generous of you to answer so comprehensively

4 Likes

I agree. Alas, the English language will soon look like the text messages I get from my grandchildren. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean when you refer to violence of the English language. When I get Emails that say r instead of are it is dastardly. Her whole Email is replete with similar acronyms or short hand. We are losing our language in many ways. Grammer is another example. A teacher was asked why she accepted a paper that was atrocious to say the least and her reply was, “I don;t want to hurt his feelings because that is how he sees things.” He will awaken when applying for a job, but maybe. I remember when we had to do pennmanship practice.

1 Like

but maybe not.Need 20 characters to post.

You will find a couple more very well used ones as well
HA = hearing aid
CI = Cochlear Implant
I hope you enjoy the forum…

1 Like

Dear Piper, Thank you so much. And yes I am enjoying this forum immensely.

There is a tendency to think that the only proper usage of the English language has to be frozen in the time frame that it was learned. The English language has evolved over the centuries and continues to evolve to this day. A case in point would be to look at the English language during the time of King James and the time the English bible translation was made. Common English at that time was “Thou” for “you’”, “Thou shalt” for “you will”, “Thy” for “Your”, “Thine” was also used for “your”. The list of common English usage of the time goes on and on. It makes it rather comical to think that common English usage of that time is today accepted to be the proper language of the Christian religion.

3 Likes

Thou shalt mightily savour these wondrous…Yeah, nevermind; it’s too difficult. Here are a few more…

WR Word Recognition
WRS Word Recognition Score
AC Air Conduction
BC Bone Conduction
UCL Uncomfortable Level
MPO Maximum Power Output
SNR Signal-to-Noise Ratio

2 Likes

Woooo, thank you! I don’t even know what signal to noise means

I know what you mean but I have the KJV Bible and consequently have memorized many verses and the one that comes to mind now is “Thou shalt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee.” In ordinary conversations I do not use the These and Thous.

Many years ago a lady from South America told me that they have a high and low language. I cannot remember what that meant at that time; and I am not sure what her native language was. I think she indicated that they speak high language in church.

BTW I clicked the little bubble like used in comics to get your post and be able to reread it and I don’t know how to delete it. I thought if I clicked it again it would delete but I got it twice. So I was forced to hit the delete button and just keep going backwards. Help!

At its most basic, signal is the stuff you want and noise is the stuff you don’t. So signal is the voice of the person you are talking to, noise is all the other sounds in the restaurant.

Depending on the nature of a given persons hearing loss the greater the difference they need between those two in order to understand, hence the signal to noise ratio.

2 Likes

In electronics, signal is that which is being amplified, whether it be voice or music, and noise is the enherent “hiss” generated internally by the device itself. The signal is not differentiated by its external source, whether it be music or voices. Signal does not differentiate between a voice and restaurant background sounds. I didn’t realize that “signal to noise” had a different definition for hearing aids.

2 Likes

My guess is that it is used both ways. If you are looking at spec sheets they probably use the electronics but I have heard the other used by audiologists when speaking about how much louder voice needs to be above background to be heard.