Linx 3D or Oticon Opn choice and office phone usage

One of the problems with being a first-time hearing aid user is that you have no idea whether you are someone who is going to get a lot of breakdowns, or someone who is not. In my experience, the frequency with which hearing aids need to be repaired is somewhat dependent on how well they are cared for and a whole LOT dependent on the environment of the user’s ears. I see some individuals who need their devices repaired once a year and have been that way for their last N sets, whereas others hardly ever see breakdowns. It seems more person-specific than device specific. Because you don’t know which category you’d fall into yet, if you are going to get something with questionable warranties, get something on the cheaper end so that if it breaks down within a year it will feel like less of a hit.

Also, if finances are an issue for you, talk to your provider. Many providers seem to recommend the newest, best thing. That doesn’t mean that they don’t have access to more affordable options. TELL them that you can only manage $3k right now and see if they can do anything. And the differences between technology levels is not as big as manufacturers would like you to think.

In everything I buy, I’m usually an upper middle buying. I look for the best value for money and feature set. I never usually buy base, and hardly every buy premium. Budget products are never really to my taste, although I do see the wisdom of a first time user to get used to the experience. Trading up in 2 years say might still be too expensive for me though.

I don’t like getting base and then regretting it for “just a little bit more”. I’d rather have features I don’t use than not enough features in the first place.

The Oticons seem better value from this respect, as even the Opn3 gives the full open soundscape just without as many refinements. I could probably live with an Opn2 or 3 vs Opn1, but I don’t think the same came be said for the Linx 3D 5/7 vs the 9. If only the zoom had a better watch app, and more customisation of the phone app…

And my dilema continues. Came across the Consumer Affairs website. I know, internet review sites are venting grounds for the terminally frustrated and people are always happy to post complaints, not commendations, but there seems to be quite a few common threads on the unreliability of big name, big price aids that is a real concern. Maybe I should just live with my hearing loss, it’s not that bad yet…

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/hearing/oticon-hearing-aids.html
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/hearing/resound-hearing-aids.html

There’s no Costco in Australia near where you live? I think that’s a good source that can provide you with both good price and full service with full warranty.

Three hours drive away - not my preference, although I believe a new one is opening next month thats only 2 hours away, which is much more doable.

I don’t know if they offer the full range here howeve, that is available in the US.

When independent researchers have done blind head-to-head comparisons, users generally cannot tell the difference between different hearing aid tech levels.

I’d be interested in any links or details, thanks.

Here’s a nice write up of Cox’s research: http://www.harlmemphis.org/files/7114/4718/7830/johnsonaudiologynow61.pdf

Disclaimer, of course, that independent research moves more slowly than we’d like, and manufacturers can always claim that their NEW hearing aids are different.

So far the only things found to fairly consistently provide benefit beyond basic amplification are 1) directional microphones and 2) hearing aid fitting following preferred practices (e.g. real-ear verification to independent prescriptive targets)

That’s been my experience with the Consumer Affairs website and looking at the reviews collected there. The site sucks up all the bad vibes about anything.

BTW, this is the first website that I’ve visited that nags you if you reply to someone “too many times” - ! If that person is the OP and many people are conversing with that person, it’s hard to avoid replying “too many times.” Somehow, I don’t think bot logic is ready to rule the world. If there is a “singularity,” it’s going to be a disaster for mankind just because bots are so dumb (so far).

I did do a little of that reasearch on my own in making my orignal shortlist. The Opn series for example seems the Opn3 is probably good enough for me, rather than going Opn1, with just a few edge case differences. The Linx 3D 5 though seems to have quite a few differences to the 3D 9 however, at similar price points to the Opn’s.

The question for me then becomes, are those edge case benefits for the premium models worth double the price of the bottom models. It hardly seems it to me most of the time, unless you live in the edge cases. Thing is, from the reviews I’ve seen, the benefits of those edge cases doesn’t seem consistent from one person to the other.

I assume that you’ve read the OPN 3 review I wrote on this forum. For twice the cost between the 3 and the 1, I don’t think it’s worth it. But if the difference is between 20-25%, then it may be worth considering especially if you are exposed to noisy environments everyday.

But with your loss being mild, you may be able to get by OK with the 3 even in noisy environments.

This matches my experience. It is difficult to predict from someone’s hearing test, lifestyle, or personality whether they will notice a difference between levels.

Manufacturers use the “lifestyle” model, and a lot of practitioners follow it for lack of any other standard to use (i.e., if you live a quiet lifestyle you don’t need much tech), but I’m not super convinced of it.

Yes, and what a great review it was! I wish there were more like it.

At home isn’t a great issue for me, although it’s annoying missing bits in a TV show, or regularly hitting the rewind 30 seconds button to hear the last 5 seconds. Also my wife would love it if I stopped asking her to repeat herself. This is about 5% of my problems.

If I could find something so I can hear on the office phone better, that would solve 80% of my issues. General speech clarity, especially in noise is the final 15% I need to improve. I had to ask a new parent how to spell her name 3 times earlier this week before I got it right. Very occasionally I go to a professional development workshop and can struggle hearing the presenter properly, but this is very rare - once or twice a year.

Everyone complains about restaurant noise. I hardly ever go out. Car noise, I’m usually alone. Family gatherings and parties are also once or twice a year. Work and home are really my only listening environments, oh and I like to stream music but am not an audiophile, so as long as it’s not an AM radio and I can get a little bass, I’d be good to go.

So I don’t think my requirements are that extensive, but as originally said, I need to hear well in a randomly noisy office environment and on the phone. I’m a tech geek which pushes me to the bells and whistles. I may have to bury this inclination to get “sufficient” aid which fits my budget, which hurts, but at least I’d i started low, I’d get a fee for the hearing aid environment so a second purchase down the track would be more informed.

You’ll most likely be fitted with open domes which will leak out the bass from the streamed audio, making the music sound like AM radio to you. This is not a short coming of the hearing aids, although their tiny receivers cannot compete with headphone sized speakers, even against the little iPhone earbuds. It’s more of a trade-off between minimal occlusion and better streaming audio.

The OPN has a Power Bass setting in the Phone, TV Adapter and ConnectClip menus that can help give better bass perception. But it’s not going to help much if you wear open domes. You’ll need to wear bass domes with a double vent hole or something like that to keep the bass from leaking out. I wear bass domes with a single vent hole and with the Power Bass setting to High value, the streaming experience is pretty decent to me.

Kill your demons. :wink:

So I found the manual for my office phone yesterday. It says it has an Induction coil to make it hearing aid compatible. So a telecoil enabled HA should work for me.

However just being telecoil enabled doesn’t necessarily mean it will trigger the auto mode change to go into telecoil mode when I put the earpiece next to my ear, does it? Or do they normally include enough magnetic field as part of the telecoil technology? Just wondering if I’ll need to add a magnet to the handpiece as well?

Depends on the phone. You may not.

Read the manuals of the HA’s that you’re considering buying to see what they advise. I know for my prospective HA’s, the manual has diagrams of attaching a magnet both to a smartphone and a regular old handset because the HA (Linx Quattro 9 61) does not have telecoil technology built in but the magnet is used to trigger the HA “phone mode.” The manual also mentions that the exact position of the magnet on the device to which you’re attaching it can affect the HA response. So your HA manual, just like the office phone manual you found, should guide you in the right direction.

My frontrunners, the Linx 3D and Oticon Opn’s, both say basically the same thing in the manual - telecoil function is telecoil function, and auto-phone function triggers the phone setting when magnet is close by. They don’t really link the two of them together at all.

It’s a fairly minor point I guess. As long as the telecoil works, if I need to add an extra magnet to swicth programs automatically, it’s not a big deal, as long as the magnet fits so the phone still hangs up properly.

Zip Hearing (as of 2013) has a pretty good summary of phone functionality relative to HA’s. Sounds like if you’re planning on getting an HA model with telecoil, that works best (be sure your HA model supports it - the Linx 3D 961’s don’t, the 962’s do). Auto-phone is entirely separate (and probably does things like sending the sound to both ears on HA’s that support that connectivity, as well as switching to a program designed for your phone listening environment). Which Hearing Aids Work Best with Cell Phones? | ZipHearing