Anyone using Linux for a generic all-brands programming setup? Genie is the only thing left I HAVE to do on Windows.
Linux user here. Not personally aware of any all-brands generic software for *nix environments and although it’s something I’d love to see, I suspect it’s going to be a task and a half to pull off.
Given a lack of open documentation on how you’d communicate to the HA for this to be viable you’d need to reverse-engineer not only the communication protocol but also what’s sent to the HA to get the DSP set to the correct response etc, which I suspect would be additionally complicated by differences in chipset revisions between models let alone between vendors.
It’s something I’ve been looking into out of curiosity over the last few months, but realistically I suspect it’s going to be hard to actually pull off safely without the risk of making some expensive bricks. I would be very interested to hear from anyone else looking into this sort of stuff or doing similar work though.
I did have a stab at trying to get both Phonak’s Target and iPFG running under Wine last weekend, which was sadly a no-go owing to Wine bugs as well as issues getting specific versions of the .net frameworks running - might be solvable with more time? Not sure.
But even then I suspect if the fitting software can work under Wine, drivers will be the next bit of fun in order to talk to the programming hardware. I have a strong suspicion that my iCube wouldn’t work for a start, having looked at decompiled .net code that drives it. Maybe a serial hi-pro would work if you get the correct pipes between Wine’s virtual serial port and the the /dev/ttyS* device, but bricking due to bad comms is still a major concern I have about this.
I have had poor luck with Wine, which is why I keep one desktop in dual boot config. I just thought I’d ask but hard to be optimistic it. So…dual boot lives another year…
I don’t think Wine is ever gonna cut it with all the restrictions of the programming software. However, I didn’t get lucky with a virtual machine either.
I tried running Phonak Target on a QEMU virtual machine. However, I was unable to get the Hi-Pro connectable over serial due to some timing issues. Now that I am using a USB2COM converter, I could try again, because USB adapters can usually be given exclusive access to in both QEMU and VMWare.
From my experiments, the biggest issue I’d ran into with iPFG and Target on Wine was always the .net
Framework version. They were built targeting specific versions of netfx, but the versions in question aren’t fully functional in Wine yet, nor do I think they ever will be given they’re old superseded versions, so I ran into a large amount of fairly weird bugs in the process. I remember I eventually managed to get the installers running, but it failed fairly spectacularly at populating databases… everything was null!
From a serial port perspective Wine should just symlink it’s internal port namings to the underlying device so I don’t forsee any timing issues with that if it’s just manipulating the raw device.
Anything not serial might be a whole different can of worms though… the WAPLink driver for the iCube did pique my interest after I ran into a few debug functions I found when poking about, but without the software working it’s probably not worth trying to get that working until the underlying software can work!
With something as important as programming your aids properly is it really such a big deal to run windows on another partition or a spare laptop? yea I know linux people generally dont like windows
Nope, not a big deal. Also not a preference, though. Hate to be forced into illegality or even worse into buying Windows.
As a long-time Linux user and Audiologist I can confirm that most hearing aid software will not run under WINE. As a previous poster noted, this is often related to problems with .NET framework. Even if the software is able to run under WINE you will probably not be able to communicate with the hearing aids due to driver issues there. The only usable solution to program hearing aids under Linux is by running Windows in a VM like Virtualbox. I have been able to connect to aids that way. With the introduction of remote programming support, it is possible to make some gain changes in the browser if logged into a hearing care provider’s professional account (e.g., Signia) which then sends the change request to the patient’s smartphone which relays that request to the patient who can accept the changes in order to adjust the aids. This, however, is limited and not practical for individuals who want to self-fit. If you want some glimmer of hope, I will tell you that some hearing aid research is conducted use the Linux RT kernel but I don’t have any details on the research devices or drivers. I believe this is a German lab with some sort of connection to Signia but I could be mistaken.
In the future we will likely see more OTC hearing aids that use smartphone apps. So being able to program aids through an Android app is technically programming through Linux but probably not what the OP had in mind.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this info
VirtualBox seems getting better and better with time
I can’t say that I ever got wine to run something big anyway. Ok, long time ago was my last try anyway.