Lifestyle Risk Factors and the Role of Oxidative Stress in Age-Related Hearing Loss

Age-related hearing loss affects a significant proportion of adults aged 60 years and above, with a prevalence of 65%. This condition has a negative impact on both physical and mental well-being, and while hearing interventions can help alleviate the effects of hearing loss, they cannot completely restore normal hearing or halt the progression of age-related hearing loss. Oxidative stress and inflammation have been identified as potential contributors to this condition. By addressing modifiable lifestyle risk factors that exacerbate oxidative stress, there may be an opportunity to prevent hearing loss. Therefore, this narrative review provides an overview of the major modifiable lifestyle risk factors associated with age-related hearing loss, that is, exposure to noise and ototoxic chemicals, smoking, diet, physical activity, and the presence of chronic lifestyle diseases, and offers an overview of the role of oxidative stress in the pathophysiology of this condition.

4 Likes

Thank you for posting this. For those who are younger I can report life at age 88 is still wonderful for those with decent health. I’m in my 13th year of proactive life extension. The endothelium also being involved with hearing loss provides an avenue for further study.

OK wow, that is a DENSE article packed with information! However, in sum, I am a TOTAL BELIEVER in diet/lifestyle and its impact not only on overall body health and immune system, but also with hearing, as that sense is linked to adequate blood supply and cognition.

I’ve been vegan since 2016 - mainly to test if that had an impact on my blood workups. OH YEAH! After one year of a vegan diet, my cholesterol, circulating calcium, blood sugar levels were back to a level 11 years previous. Not that you can cheat the mortality issue, but you can definitely have a positive result on ageing with healthy diet AND exercise. Oh, there’s also a huge benefit to a social lifestyle, but living up on a mountaintop almost 20 yrs and then the pandemic pretty much forced me to just make do without one.

I read a lot at NutritionFacts.org as this is a non-profit site based on the balance of evidence from studies done on a multitude of dietary areas. Keep in mind that diet is highly personal and NO ONE is gonna be backed into a corner told what to eat or what not to drink. It has to come from within. In addition to a vegan lifestyle, I do intermittant fasting AND a reduced calorie day every 3rd day.

My hearing has pretty much plateaued flatter than a snake’s belly, but at least with good aids I’m doing FINE at 67. No complaints considering. I have age-related creaky joints, and food issues if tempted with things I have a weakness for. My greatest hope is that research will continue in the areas of sensorineural hearing loss. Would I love a surgical or supplemental miracle in that area…

1 Like