LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

Resound DURR1/Nexia is confirmed to be LE Audio/Auracast compliant. bluetooth 5.4 core specs,

5 Likes

I think it’s worth adding that Samsung recently upgraded their newer TVs with Auracast.
Which in theory will allow us to skip ancient and overpriced streamers that most HA manufacturers offer and connect directly (with LE Audio enabled HAs).

source: Galaxy Buds2 Pro Evolves LE Audio Capabilities, Bringing New Auracast to Samsung Smart TV – Samsung Global Newsroom

3 Likes

Do you have a link to the Bluetooth.com Launchstudio entry?

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/Listings/Search

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/191718

6 Likes

Behind a paywall, but some info: New GN platform completes ten years of connectivity work — MedWatch

1 Like

Here’s something not behind a paywall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYLdymd_8zs
Sounds like new Resound Nexia will use a new TV streamer that uses Auracast. Not clear if it’s compatible with MultiMic or other Resound accessories. So far nothing about Resound Omnia getting an update to make it LE Audio/Auracast compatible.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I found this on their website:

2 Likes

But Auracast is a wide broadband standard - so new Resound TV Streamer+ will translate TV signal to all surrounding environment, including other floors in house, to all street, to neighbors houses?

There’s nothing useful in that article. They’re trying to get ahead of the competition.
The headline makes it sound like Resound developed Bluetooth LE Audio or any previous iterations (MFi, ASHA), which is bogus obviously (the 10 year thing is about evolving connectivity).

Great find! A couple of interesting observations. Their rechargeable version is the smallest! That’s a surprise. It is compatible with MultiMic (and at least some other accessories) Sounds like any Android phone with BT 5.3 might be compatible to use with LE Audio. Looks like it’s staying with Made for iPhone tech for Apple.
Also sounds like “hands free” is limited iPhones.

2 Likes

I guess “useful” is in the eye of the beholder. To me the most useful is that it tells us this is no longer a rumor, it’s got a release date. I haven’t read the article so don’t know what it implied, but as far as I know Resound was the first to come out with Made for iPhone hearing aids and has been heavily involved in developing the standards.

4 Likes

Perhaps you’ve missed this thread?

HearingTracker already published article on them and video preview

1 Like

Well that’s how all of them work, Wi-Fi included. I’m guessing that there will be some pairing involved on both sides, similar to how Bluetooth operates currently.
Accessibility broadcasts will have it open to all.

Thanks!

I’m new to this forum and have not read more than some more recent posts regarding CI and Bluetooth LE audio (auracast etc), and what I can find on direct connection between CI and PC/Mac.

(For natural reasons I don’t read much about regular hearing aids anymore, but the tv-streamers and wireless microphones are super interesting for me as well).

1 Like

Phone being BT 5.3 is not enough, it needs quite a recent Android version (13 or 14), and to have a required codec enabled (LC3). Very few phones fulfill these conditions currently.
Otherwise it will fall back to other (older) means of communication.

I was just repeating what was on Resound’s website. I expect most any android phone with BT 5.3 is going to be Android 13. However, I would always recommend verifying connectivity before committing to a purchase. If going with Android, I’d also lean towards sticking with Samsung or Google.

2 Likes

Yeah, Google’s Pixels, latest Samsungs or Sonys are all safe bets. Still, 5.2-5.3 bluetooth phones been out there for some time, along with similarly specced hearing aids, don’t expect them all to be updated, [especially HAs] to be compatible.
Even having android 13 might be not enough as it’s just part of the requirements, there are other variables at play too. I have two A13 phones and they are not LE Audio compatible [and will never be most likely]. While my newer [A13] Xperia is.

It can be broadcast to everyone, broadcast to those with credentials, or connected (not sure if that’s technically part of Auracast or not).

Can someone translate this for me (from the HearingTracker article)? The new ReSound TV-Streamer+ can be used to receive streamed audio from a TV to Nexia hearing aids, but within the app will also eventually be able to work in Auracast broadcast mode as a transmitter.

My interpretation is that it will work as LE Audio or legacy streamer, no broadcasting yet.
They’re evidently rushing it, new TVs with Aura are making it obsolete already.

This doesn’t mean that… It means the app will control the auracast broadcast like a wifi list for bluetooth