Launching my own practice: Which hearing aids should I carry?

Me too Navy 1968-1977. Maybe you have heard of the Agency, WHCA 1973-1977. Lost my hearing flying in the cargo bay of the old C141.

1 Like

I think your business model would work well in personal care homes for the elderly where travel to an office for them is difficult.

4 Likes

I also think your business model would work well. This is how I bought my first 2 hearing aids back in 1957 and 1963. The audi came to my house, gave me a hearing test. Took a HA out of his case and did his adjustments and that was that. If you had a problem later he would come back to take of it. For years I carried a small screw driver to make minor adjustments. Oh, the good old days. Good luck to you.

3 Likes

Spent significant time with:

Phonak Naida 2010 model, whatever that was. Hated it. Turns out it was likely poorly fitted.

Resound Linx 2014. Good aid, revolutionary in terms of MFi integration, highly unreliable ultra power receivers. Had the aid replaced at least twice both sides.

Resound linx quattro. Great aid. Even better Bluetooth. Better speech in noise than original linx. Ultra power receiver showed signs of failure 2 months in.

Traded in Quattro for phonak Audeo Marvel 90. Never looked back. Incredible speech in noise, never heard music sound this good, highly reliable, love Bluetooth classic - connect to my iPhone and Mac without any intermediary device. I also have roger select, which does many circles around the resound multi mics.

YMMV!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for that. I have often said that not having a hearing loss myself if both a blessing and a curse. I sometimes wish I could hear through my patients’ ears.

Exactly. I worked for a certain hearing aid franchise before, and I did a LOT of visits to assisted living centers and senior centers. Some of the funnest work I’ve ever done. (Word of caution if you do the same: Don’t EVER interrupt bingo. Ever. Seriously.)

I don’t get to do that in my current situation.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I appreciate the good wishes and the input.

Shawn where I live is a retirement community of about 15000 residents that live in there own homes… And on top of that there are 3 senior living facilities that have apartments and hospice communities. There is 26000 acres here of forest, and businesses that cater to seniors and the tourist that come to the area. And also a huge draw here for the motorcycle riders due to the scenic roads all of this state.

2 Likes

Costco’s pricing is roughly Half. I left Costco after 10 years and 3 pair of aids. Due to pricing it takes 2-3 weeks to get an appointment. Techs are very busy and just jack up the audio and shoo you out for the next customer. I trialed Phonak Marvel’s 70 for 2 weeks plus Oticon1, Phonak won at Double the price of Costco’s new K’s. My Audi is very customer orientated. I can see in 2 days, 3 days max. It was worth every penny.

3 Likes

Cool business model. I assume that you’ll do some evening or weekend hours? When I started thinking about getting aids, I was (unpleasantly) surprised at how many dispensers only had weekday hours. Like everyone with hearing loss is retired. :rage:

3 Likes

What state are you in? I may be interested in your service. I’m in Calif.

1 Like

Since you plan to go mobile, a cargo van can be outfitted as a hearing aid office with a soundproof booth. It would be ideal for senior citizens who have differculty walking.

2 Likes

You’ll get different answers. Depends on what you mean by “essentially.” They use a much more simplistic app. They haven’t gotten the firmware upgrade that allows pairing more than one device at a time. They don’t have built in Roger device compatibility. They don’t come in a rechargeable or a size 13 model. They don’t have built in tinnitus features. The only accessory that is available is the TV streamer. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

I don’t remember it taking that long for an appointment or receiving my new ha’s I guess my advice is to plan ahead, but I’m not deaf, just hard to catch the higher frequencies.

1 Like

KS9 software same as M90 with different program nomenclature;
KS9 312 battery only; rechargeable not available;
KS9 not available: telecoil, Roger, remote fitting adjustments, tinnitus treatment, physical remote control, full-featured smartphone control app;
M90: pairs w/ 2 BT devices; KS9: one;
M90: structural baffling protects front mic input from wind and hair.

2 Likes

I would suggest reading the book, Volume Control, recently published. It was reviewed on the front page of the Wall Street Journal’s Book Review section last November. The visit to the Starkey Hearing Aid manufacturer was interesting (believe it or not!) and information on the research behind OTC was fascinating as well–“hearphones”. Just a tip…I felt different about my hearing loss and more comfortable with it, after I read it.

2 Likes

Which hearing aids should you carry? That’s kind of a strange question. But seeing the number of responses I’m sure every hearing aid company has been mentioned

Shawn,

If you have read a lot of these posts you will discover that each brand tends to emphasize certain and often different aspects of hearing assist. What the patient values will often dictate what brand comes closest in providing that improvement. It is not only about amplification or connectivity or style or even the sophistication of the app that often powers the newer brands. Each person is different and will respond differently than another to the same aid.

Honestly this is what makes an audiologist’s work hard. Its a little like a realtor working with a client. Until you really understand what they value it is hit or miss on showing listings. This is why many people search themselves because they know what they like. I have long believed that patients are in the best position to program their own aids if they understand how to do it. The feedback is instant and personal. Going through another individual is slow and inefficient.

With that background, my biggest complaint for most to the audis I have used is their lack of sufficient understanding of how a brand works including its interface with cell phones, streamers, blue tooth devices, etc. I can’t tell how annoying it is to ask a question about a feature only to have them tell me they will check with the manufacturer and get back to me. You don’t get this response from sales people at Best Buy when you’re buying electronics. They know their products well. So why are audis so unprepared.

KNOW THE PRODUCTS YOUR ARE SELLING. The rest will come easy.

2 Likes

Just ordered it from Amazon. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

1 Like

So are you going to be in OKC…??? or where in Oklahoma?

1 Like