Latest adventure with Marvels

I have had my Marvels for several months now. It has not been a fun relationship. AT first, everything was very tinny and loud. Dropped the MPO to about 90 dB except for the frequencies where I don’t really have much hearing. Now, they aren’t too loud. Recently, I jacked up the low frequency gain as much as Target would let me. My fitting suggested that I didn’t need any low frequency gain. The result is a more balanced sound. My own voice is still annoying, and things still sound tinny, but not nearly as much as before. I am now using full prescriptive gain as determined by “Audiogram Direct”. I still think Autosense is worse than no aids at all. I can now wear them all day, most days. Before, I couldn’t stand to wear them for long. I use the TV Connector to stream TV, and even with drop outs, it is working pretty good. I am now thinking that a Roger Select iN would help with speech in real world situations where I now have difficulty. Does anyone have any experience getting one from the VA? I was told by an Audiologist there that I didn’t need any accessories. If I go and ask directly for one, what are my chances that I can get one? It is about an hour and a half drive each way, so I don’t want to waste a trip. Would calling them do any good?

1 Like

Glad to hear you are wearing your aids longer than before. That is a step to the better in my opinion. I am no expert but I still think you are dealing with tuning issues. Just haven’t figured out how to get the aids right for you.

As far as the Roger devices, if you could have a good explanation for why you need it I bet the VA would get you whatever you needed.

Good luck

Thanks Rick,
I think I will call and make an appointment. They have a walk in clinic, but I think having an actual appointment would be better. I agree that I need to do some more tuning. Just not sure at this point what needs to be done next. I think I will tell the VA that having a Roger Select will help me with voices in noise, which I definitely need. I have a form to fill out and mail when I need more batteries, and it has a blank for ordering “Accessories”. I think they mean things like domes, or wax filters. Wonder what would happen if I put down Roger Select iN?

1 Like

HI I got my aids from the VA and went back and asked for the remote mic to go with it. I explained that I have meetings and training sessions in large rooms where it is hard to understand the speaker. The audi ordered me one and it work well.

Later I explained to him that I have trouble understanding speech when watching the TV so he ordered me a TV streamer and had it shipped direct to my home. It took less the 5 minutes to install and pair to my aids and works great.

My experience with the VA audi. has been good and I am pleased so far.

As for ordering stuff from the place they gave you the form for that is for batteries, wax guards, and items like that.

When the gave me the ordering info they also gave me a phone # so I could just call for supplies if i perfered.

1 Like

When I called the VA Audiology clinic to get an appointment, I was told they no longer do appointments, just walk in. I will make the trek over there in about a week and see what happens. Since I have been using the Marvels and TV Connector for streaming, I have noticed that I get about 2 and a half days on a set of batteries. These are the 13’s too. I am glad I specified those when I requested the aids. Size 312’s wouldn’t last very long streaming. I don’t yet know what kind of life I would get with no streaming. Probably 4 days, or so. It is a good thing I get free batteries.

I do not have the Marvels but I do get my aids from the VA. I have all of the extras. 2 TV connects, the connect clip, and the home phone connect. The clinic I go to isn’t that big so no walk in just yet but I have been told that is coming. I have been getting my aids from the VA system for 15 years, and I have always been told to ask for what I felt that I need. And I have always gotten the extras. I have the Oticon OPN1 ITE hearing aids with 312 batteries and I get 4 - 5 days out of the batteries with on average of 3 hours of streaming each day. It almost sounds like there is some problem with your hearing aids. Size 13 batteries should last a lot longer than 4 days without streaming, more like 7 or 8.

Chuck,
Your experience with the VA gives me hope that I can get a Roger device. I have seen different Audiologists at the VA and there was only one that I would want to see again. Unfortunately, I forgot his name. My Marvels do seem a bit power hungry. The last time my batteries went out, it was the right aid that signaled first, the time before that, it was the left. I use them almost exclusively for streaming from my TV. They don’t seem to help my ordinary, out in the world hearing. I plan on putting them in airplane mode, to turn off the wireless, and seeing just what use I get out of a set of batteries. The VA is giving me Power One batteries, by the way. I also have some older aids, some B50’s I want to program like I have done with the Marvels, except for the wireless part, of course, and see how they compare.

My OPN1 aids get about 4-5 days and I stream at least 2 hours everyday. I get the powerone batteries also. I am not really due new hearing aids for a few more years, but my Audi is going to get me new aids this summer because he is not able to push my aids to my full prescription. He told me that the VA doesn’t normally get the aids so they go to full prescription because most Veterans just want comfort hearing. I am pushing for better speech understanding seeing I do volunteer work and I need to understand what I am hearing better than I am. My aids are set to a close as they can be without going into feedback all the time. And as it is they do feedback easier than they should.

I have changed enough batteries now to say definitely that I get 2 1/2 days from a set of size 13s in the Marvels. If I use them with my phone, which is seldom, the right one fails before the left. If I just stream TV, the right still fails first, but they both fail within 15 minutes of each other. When I get the second set of warning sounds, I have about a couple of minutes before they cut off. With Bluetooth, the right aid gets paired and then sends sound to the left. With the TV Connector, each aid is independent. Haven’t tried them in airplane mode yet to see how that goes. I think it should about double the life. Thing is, I have become sort of addicted to using the Marvels when I watch TV. The sound isn’t as good as Bluetooth ear buds, but there is no latency with the TV Connector.

1 Like

John I am wondering if there is something wrong with the aids, 13 batteries should last a lot longet than that. Now the fact that the right aid dies first is right it seems from everything I have read that the bluetooth connect to the right aid and the right aids connects to the left hearing aid. So the right aid is working harder.

1 Like

Chuck, I don’t think it is the aids. I like my TV pretty loud, and that is the main reason I use the Marvels. I can have the volume I want without bothering everyone else. The Marvels do have a higher power drain than other aids I have used. That is the reason I requested the 13s. It isn’t a big deal to me, since I get my batteries for free. Being retired, I sometimes binge watch series on Netflix. Just watching an hour or two a day, would probably increase the life a good bit.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to echo @cvkemp, 2½ seems a pretty short time for size 13 batteries to last. But, then, you might do quite a lot more streaming than either of us. I stream TV through a Roger Select a couple of hours, 3 or 4 nights a week, and stream music for 4 or 5 hours a week (on dog walks and late-night kitchen clean up). With such “heavy for me” streaming, I get 5½–6 days. If I eschew the music streaming entirely, I’ll get 7 to 8 days. Basically, I only do phone calls once or twice a month.

Since the beginning of October, I’ve been averaging a bit over 6 days for a pair of HA batteries (22 pairs in 133 days).

I agree it doesn’t seem like enough life. If I can do without streaming for a few days, I plan on trying them in airplane mode to see how long batteries last. I am headed to the VA later this week to give them a chance at doing a better job programming than I have done. I am also going to beg for a Roger Select iN.
When I first got them, they were very annoying, and I couldn’t wear them for long at a time. I lowered the MPO considerably, activated SR2, and recently, gave myself gain in the lower frequencies. I don’t really notice that those frequencies are that much louder,and I suspect that a lot of the lows are leaking out the vents in my molds, but they aren’t as annoying now. I am still having trouble with Autosense. It seems to be blocking sounds and making everything sound muddy, if that makes sense. I have made adjustments to the Autosense, but they don’t seem to have done much. When I test my hearable frequency range with SR2 on, it indicates that I should be hearing just fine. But, when I go out in the real world, with real world situations, I still don’t hear worth a flip. I hope the Roger helps with that.

Your aids may be fighting the MPO.
Try putting the MPO back where it was and lower gain to volumes you like.

1 Like

Do loud sounds actually hurt, or ‘stun’ your hearing? 90dB seems low for your HL; and IMHO you will need short peaks well over 100dB to get through to you. (This assumes short bursts of loud, not a rock-crushing plant.)

I think AutoSense may be wonderful for 90+% of users and annoying to a few. Like you and me. I had AS turned off (made “Calm” the default) and I am happier. But my life is calm. If you have a full career and life you may need a more aggressive option also.

I do believe that leaving myPhonak running (via BluTooth) uses more battery. With the efficiency of modern processors, running large bass without a tight seal would reasonably use more battery. I switched from an open to a near-closed eartip for a fuller sound. (We also doodled 500Hz boost, but not a lot.)

Without having worked with you and all that, I tend to gravitate towards @Raudrive 's thinking. I would look at lowering the high freqs regardless of “prescription”. It seems like nearly everyone I work with needs the high freqs brought down from prescription when they get hearing aids. It definitely helps with that “tinny” sound in many cases.

What type of domes are you wearing?

2 Likes

I know it sure helped me understand speech better

1 Like

Paul, I’m not using the app. I am streaming with the TV Connector. Sound quality isn’t great, but it doesn’t have latency. I started out with the MPO set high and less than prescriptive gains. Didn’t seem to work for me. That was the way the VA had them set. I used Audiogram Direct, which indicates that I have less loss than a booth audiogram. In the higher frequencies, the ones I don’t hear without SR2, I still have the MPO set to 100 dB. I figured that since I am basically deaf at those frequencies anyway, it wouldn’t hurt to blast them in. It was the lower ones that give me fits if loud. I went to a concert over in Atlanta in the fall, and there were times the music was pretty uncomfortable, not painful like I have experienced before, I took out my phone with the sound level meter app and measured 87 dB. I know it wasn’t calibrated, but it gave me a good rough idea what levels were uncomfortable. I told the VA Audiologist the same story, and she said she made allowances. Maybe she did, but the aids were still very annoying. I have actually upped the high frequency gains of late. The most improvement was increasing low frequency gains, which I am not supposed to need. I can’t explain why this made an improvement, but it did. When streaming TV, I now get about 95% of what is being said. I dare not turn off captions, because I have become dependent upon them. Even when I can make out speech, I still need the captions. Crazy, I know.

John, your post sounds familiar to my own. It took me a long time to understand my hearing loss not that I actually have. It’s a challenge to fit a loss like mine and maybe yours too. My only choice is to do the best possible fit for me to hear or go towards cochlear implants.

Have you verified what frequencies you are deaf in?

My phone and app seem to read 13dB-17dB lower than an SPL meter. When I inserted that correction I get numbers more in line with decades of making SPL.

“Concerts” will often be 90dB-100dB. If your “87” is really in that range (and you don’t do it every day), 95dB SPL sure IS “loud”.