LACE auditory Program

I have decided to take the LACE program again seeing it has been a number of years since I first took it.
I am finding to my total surprise that in noisy environments I am hearing female voices much better than male voices. And if here are competing speakers that I am understanding female and children’s voices much better than male voices. This is giving me much more information to take to my audiologist for my October hearing test. I am half way through the program and should find out more surprises and help to take to my appointment.

1 Like

Is this something you pay for? Or the VA? I suppose you recommend it, based on the above.

WH

I paid for it this time, it isn’t cheap but it is revealing to my weaknesses when it comes to hearing even with my aids as good as I have ever had aids. I am hoping the information I gathered from the program this time will give my audiologist help in making adjustments to my aids or knowledge for future aids. I did the program a number of years ago and it got the speech and understanding therapy for me but the aids then helped but not greatly.

1 Like

@WhiteHat The cost is $99. I did the program and found that I learned a lot about what I find challenging and less challenging, and tried to carry over from the less challenging to the more challenging. Had some success with this transfer of skill/learning e.g. noting where my attention was and when I dropped attention. When I let go of an inner frustration at missing a word(s) and could relax more into listening for meaning, I often had better success/accuracy. In all of the sessions it was a very good focus and mental work out as the lessons often very quickly got me to the edge of OK and poor hearing/recognition/comprehension.

There are several threads on forum if you do a search on LACE. I know that the little bit of research that supports the training does not demonstrate robust effectiveness. In discussing LACE with one other member via PM, we agreed that we found it to be a good investment of money and time, and that our anecdotal self evaluations that there was value/improvement for each of us could not be due only to placebo.

When I had done things before paying there were a few brief typical examples that one could listen to in order to have some direct experience. I don’t know about their refund policy but one could inquire directly. {I have no connection with LACE.}

2 Likes

This looks like it might be a simular program :

and it is free.

http://angelsound.tigerspeech.com/angelsound_download.html

1 Like

It is a shame I can’t run the program I don’t have Microsoft Windows nor a laptop anymore, with everything I really need available by way of iPad, I have simplified my life. Yes I was a IT Professional and swore when I retired that I truly retired.

@cvkemp Chuck, all is not lost:

For iPad/iPhone users, please download i-Angel Sound from Apple Store.

Never say never to Windoze!!

1 Like

Thank you that works

1 Like

A little google research makes it look like the VA uses it at least for patients with APD. I wonder if I can get a referral for it.

WH

1 Like

why do you need a referral ?

For the VA to pay for the program

1 Like

the program is free at least it was for me

It is $119 now in the states I got about a week ago.

For anglesound ? or is the apple version not free?

No the LACE program.

1 Like

The links I saw in previous forum posts seems dead. Here is one I found: Lace web site

WH

It has been a couple of years, but I recall that AngelSound has somewhat different listening goals than LACE however the former is free or by donation. It is aimed at young people and as I recall some of it was worthwhile for me. One goal and the exercises of LACE is discerning voice in noise or when there are other competing sounds, but does charge $119 USA and has 5 day refund policy. My prior post indicated $99 but that is 99 Pounds.

Is there something also in Italian or just English?