KS9 Issues with Costco

Every HA brand has its own names for the same/equal program. There isn’t any denial that Phonak makes the KS9 for Costco, which also makes it clear that they are made by Phonak. Regardless the names of the different programs, and features are best called out to match the KS9 software, that Costco uses. I am aware that the Target software can also tune them. I personally prefer to call out the nomenclature of the different brands per them. Folks refer to Autosense which is not KS9 which is simply called Automatic.

RDB

KS9 info.

I’m one of the bad guys who uses Phonak and KS9 aid nomenclature incorrectly.
Sorry about that

2 Likes

I was not speaking of Phonak/Kirkland specifically or even just the HA market, if you can’t offer a new feature just come up with a flashy new name.

I consider it a very cool feature.

RDB

:slight_smile: No argument there, I was just letting the cynical old grouch in me have a moment.

Judging from your audiogram, your right ear should benefit from “HiFrequency Protect”. But your left ear’s loss appears uniform throughout. Does it improve your left ear’s clarity also?

I really can’t tell as sound seems to exist between my ears, not so much left or right, unless streaming stereo music, which is great.

RDB

Try listening to a landline phone (with ‘Acoustic Phone’ off).
The audi told me that HiFrequency Protect+ is automatically applied. He said Phonak is the pioneer in the ‘frequency shift’ concept and applies it very aggressively. Take my situation, for example. It was automatically activated in the first fit although my audiogram does not exhibit a sharp drop in the high frequency range.

I no longer have a land line, and my smart phone is hardly audible when BT is turned off. I have the cShells which effectively block outside sound so the phone doesn’t work very well when held up to my HA’s, I can switch to Speaker phone and hear quite well that way, but of course using BT makes it very good. I understand your original question, and could use my phone landline or flip phone quite well with my old KS3’s as I was wearing domes and outside sound could be heard directly through my ear canal. Regardless I do not sense any difference in my hearing left to right. I am not aware of Acoustic Phone with the KS9’s nor how one would turn it off unless it was one of the manual programs, which it is not, besides I haven’t touched a landline phone in years, lol

I am surprised that HiFrequency Protect wasn’t activated from day 1. The fitter chose to turn it off, I guess.

It would not have been turned on at first, as it is not needed/wanted unless the high frequency loss was having a negative effect on understanding, especially high pitch female voice. If it had been turned on, on the day I received them, I believe I would have been overwhelmed with the added sound of everyone lisping, it well would have been too much to fast, and returned them, disappointed.

In fact I did consider having it turned off, or reduced, but after going through other adjustments and recognizing that what seems to be a negative at first ends up being just what you want/need, so gave it some time. Now after 6 weeks I can not hear, or notice the obvious lisping I originally heard and was annoyed by. I have come to realize and understand this is why the first impression of these more sophisticated hearing aids may not be 100% positive, it takes a while to get used to new sounds that haven’t been heard for years. After all a lot of improvements had taken place since I upgraded from my 9 year old KS3, which were a great improvement over my previous Resound aids I started with 16 years ago.

RDB

I think the fitter decides if HiFrequency Protect+ should be turned off at first fitting. Initially, the audi fitted mine with Phonak proprietary algorithm but left HiFrequency Protect+ on (I think this is the default). A month later, at my request, he refitted them to NAL NL2. Starting out with NL2 and HiFrequency Protect+ would have been overwhelming. Alternatively, he could start with NL2 then activate HiFrequency Protect+ several weeks later.

ON by default for flat or sloping hearing losses where the 8kHz threshold is 45dBHL or poorer

–which would be a large majority, I’d guess.

I have read thousands of user posts before buying for work and home. One learns to disregard those that well cant think logically This guy is a chronic complainer. IMHO

Bingo. Exactly etc etc. Poor Costco having to deal with a guy like this. They might even reward him to GO AWAY

I did not like the K9 at all. The S sound was slurred to an sh sound. Average wait time is three weeks at my local Costco for follow up appointments. The slurred sound was not able to be fixed so I went to an audiologist and got a better hearing aid.

I suspect it is an adjustment issue, or a getting used to hearing correction issue, not a hearing aid issue. I have the KS8’s and had no issues with the “s” sound, until I requested a change in the prescription formula to DSL v5. Then the occasional slurring of the s started. DSL attempts to recover more of the high frequencies than other formulas do. I have not been in a rush to go in for an adjustment on the basis that the problem may be mine, and not that of the aids. Here is what Starkey says about the lispy s sound:

“A great example is the “s” sound. With an untreated hearing loss, the “s” can be perceived as a short sound when it is actually a drawn-out sound. When you start wearing a hearing aid, the “s” sound can be perceived as “hissy” or “lispy”.”

So there is a possibility my high frequencies were being undercorrected with the previous formula, and I just need to get used to hearing the real sound again. If it doesn’t go away I will ask for a tweak down in the 5-6 kHz range.

2 Likes

It’s kind of amusing how self-righteous and arrogant people can be when they’re empowered by and swathed in the anonymity of the internet and doggedly determined to remain metaphorically tone-deaf to the facts being presented to them – a deeply ironic point given that this is a forum for the hearing impaired.

I had signed off some weeks ago in light of the tiresome display of by a select few to persevere with their stunningly rude and presumptuous projection of their own issues and experiences, people who were seemingly incapable of processing the simple point that an entirely different perspective was at hand. They just had to be right in view of the seemingly and ‘intellectually profound’ argument that they’d been ‘deaf’ for a longer period of time and therefore knew, via some form of magical osmosis, that the issues at hand were a matter of my stubbornness and lack of experience rather than the technical issues I suspected. Not once, but on a number of occasions, I patiently and politely reiterated the aspects that made it clear, at least to me, that the problems had nothing to do with perception and all to do with technology, but no, the resident savants and self-appointed sages simply wouldn’t hear of it. Welcome to the typical internet forum, where posts frequently act as a form of Rorscharch test that elicit responses far more reflective of each authors inner psyche than anything that remotely resembles an appropriate answer.

So since then I’ve simply deleted all the email notifications giving me a heads up on the continued activity for the thread I started, even some of the more charming ones that gave me a clue in the headers on the content of the posts, such as the exemplary sample of self-righteous indignation that referred to my apparent ‘rudeness’ for calling into question the pompous and arrogant behavior of one particular individual who outrageously insisted I was intransigent and unwilling to accept my ‘limitations’ and the ‘new experience’ of being able to ‘hear again’. Then there was the other pearl of wisdom from the individual – another from the ‘you’re wrong – I’m right brigade’ – who insisted that Costco doesn’t employ audiologists, just fitters. Funny, I still have the individual’s card at hand which states quite clearly that he’s an audiologist – I’ll have to let Costco know that he’s a fraud according to the forum’s resident sleuth.

Never mind through all this that I repeated over and over that one side of my hearing sounded perfectly fine while the other was giving me distinct problems that had nothing to do with normal aural perceptions. No, apparently I suffer from some form of split personality where the aids are concerned, the beaming and grateful side calmly accepting the new world of sound presented to the left, while the malevolent and stubborn alter ego railed against the imaginary scratchy and over-loud sounds emanating from the right.

For some real perspective on the matter, note that I finally took the hearing aids into the alternative Costco 13 miles away a week ago (having had to delay the process for some time due to traveling interstate for surgery and recovery – my wife had to drive me to the Costco because I was still on prescription painkillers) and found that the right hearing aid had indeed been incorrectly set up in a way that accounted for all the issues I mentioned, right down to the static I was hearing, which apparently was a result of too much boost at the lower frequencies, the area where I didn’t really need help. So no more rustling from my hair, no annoying static, no excessive noise when my daughter speaks to me – the two hearing aids are now perfectly in tune. Hallelujah, I’ve been cured, the two personalities have shaken hands and become one!

Most forums have their fair share of soapbox blowhards, resident pontificators, and jack-booting individuals marching up and down and jealously guarding their little sanctuaries, hailing their familiars, and running the rule over any newbies daring to venture in and raise their heads for scrutiny. You would think a forum devoted to issues of health would be largely free of this general malaise but clearly this one’s not, judging from some of the acerbic, rude and self-serving attitudes of some who were either incapable of heeding what was being said, or simply didn’t care with regard to simply wanting/needing to be heard. Had I heeded the stentorian tones of the ‘get over yourself and accept what you’re hearing as normal’ brigade not only would I have been stuck with faulty aids but I would have undoubtedly done further damage to the hearing in my right ear – I stopped using the aids until I could get them checked out eventually for the specific reason that I was getting a constant ringing in my right ear after prolonged use of the hearing aids – I rarely suffer from tinnitus, but the excessive volume on the right was clearly setting it off, and despite the subsequent correction I’m still dealing with it constantly and have been left wondering if the hearing aid did permanent damage.

For those of you who actually took heed of what I wrote and offered appropriate advice, my thanks. It certainly helped put my mind at ease over the fact that my suspicions were right and pointed me in the right direction as far as seeking alternative help with the hearing aids. The individual I dealt with at the second Costco was light years removed from my initial experiences on any number of levels, not least in common courtesy but also in terms of his level of professionalism, attention to detail, and the simple fact that he actually listened to what I had to say and provided a pile of information and literature that the other Costco employee had failed to pass on. He also suggested a number of follow-up visits to gradually fine tune the aids, which was in keeping with what I’d initially expected after perusing this forum but had been told was totally unnecessary by the first audiologist.

A final aspect which may or may not serve as a pointer to how the first guy screwed up is that the individual who I saw at the other Costco took me through a process of testing my hearing through the actual hearing aids, something that was never done at the first Costco – the audiologist there set them according to the results from my initial hearing test.

In summary, I was so taken aback at the vast difference in approach by the second individual that I kept shaking my head in disbelief at the vast improvement in manner and approach, and when he asked me why eventually I explained my experiences at the other establishment. His response? To apologize for the lackadaisical approach meted out at the first Costco and to suggest that I consider writing in a complaint.

Again, my thanks to those that did offer genuine help and insight.

1 Like

Wow. I’m really pleased for you that you got this sorted out going to a different store.

People respond to their loss of hearing and subsequent need for expensive devices in different ways. We recently heard from two different people sounding like they were ready to kick it. My heart went out to them.

It takes all kinds to make up any and all of these kinds of fora. If you stick around you get a sense of who is who and how they present themselves online.
It’s just the way it is.

1 Like

I had a similar experience, and because of reading here others that also had problems and went to a different Costco, I mentally used that to maintain my sanity. When watching TV open air, the volume would escalate to unbearable levels, I realized it was whenever music was introduced and would return to normal several seconds after it stopped. Trying to describe this to my fitter got me dismissed as just not used to them.

It took a lot of patience to acknowledge that I knew she didn’t believe me, but it was happening to me, perhaps due to the amount of gain I needed. She took away the Automatic program and substituted Quite, and Noise manual programs. Okay no more high volume, but I insisted on a return of the Automatic and a third manual, Loud Noise. At least I could get away from the escalating volume whenever it happened.

As I go to Costco frequently to shop I would stop an ask her if she had any input from Phonak, and finally agreed to an adjustment. So 6 appointments after first complaining she got it right.

I made a copy of some other members similar complaints and showed her, her humorous reply was they should try explaining their problem to their provider, and smiled. At least we are still on friendly speaking terms. I also gave her a lot of the blow by blow of operation using the TV connectors and the mute feature.

I am satisfied with my current setting, and the quality of the KS9. I also went through getting used to the s-s-s-s and other sounds of speech we forget and find odd, but help with word recognition. The point.

RDB