KS9: Input to phone, output to aids via Bluetooth - is it possible?

I have the KS9 which only has 1 Bluetooth connection to my mobile. I was thinking it would be really useful if I could connect other devices to my phone using the 3.5mm jack for instance, and then use the phone’s Bluetooth connection to stream the audio to my aids. Would anyone know if that Is that technically possible? I know I could do this with the tv steamer, but it needs to be powered, and I’d have to carry it around with me. My most useful use case would be to somehow connect iPad audio to my iPhone, and have that steamed to my aids.

Sure seems like the phone could be Used as a streamer for other devices.
Is your phone android or an Apple? Just thinking about connections.
Missed the iPhone comment.

1 Like

You could unpair your phone and pair directly to your iPad. Other thought is there any way to connect external storage to your iPhone? A quick search suggests one can use an adaptor to connect a micro SD card. If so, you could just download your music to the micro SD card and just use your phone.

What you’re suggesting also sounds like it might work, but I have zip experience.

2 Likes

I have an iPhone 7. I was hoping to somehow use screen mirroring, but cannot get iPad and iPhone to see each other. I really just want to watch YouTube videos and iPlayer tv on my iPad, but stream to my iPhone which is connected to my aids. I know I could pair the aids to the iPad, but then I’d miss calls etc on the iPhone.

We might very well have somebody on the forum that knows. You might also call Apple tech support or go to an Apple Store. If you do, you might need to explain that KS9 uses Classic BT, not made for iPhone.

1 Like

How is it the KS9 aids connect to iPhones and android phones that have different types of Bluetooth? I had thought the KS9 aids had both types Bluetooth, BLE and Classic.

KS9 and Marvel use BT Classic to connect to phones and other devices. I think they use BLE to communicate between aids. I know for sure that they also use BLE but it’s not for streaming audio. Noahlink Wireless uses BLE. Can’t find any sources right now that give adequate explanation

1 Like

OK, I think the hearing aids use some proprietary protocol to communicate between each other, but still not sure. They use Bluetooth LE for each hearing aid to communicate with the app. Bluetooth Classic is used to stream calls and audio to both Android and iPhones, as well as other Bluetooth devices.

1 Like

You’re right. You can’t have audio in both aids using BT Classic without either an intermediate device or having one aid transmit to the other.

Edit: Misunderstood your reply. Is it proprietary? The only open Bluetooth LE protocol is ASHA and if they were using it for communication between aids, you’d think they’d also be using it as an option for phone to aids streaming. And they’re not.

1 Like

I’m fuzzy what the Marvels use to communicate between aids. The only thing that I was confident of is that they used BT LE to communicate with the app. My impression was that streaming between aids used some proprietary, non Bluetooth method, but my grasp of this is weak.

1 Like

Thinking about you using your phone to stream to your aids.
Looked on eBay for a cord/cable that would tie your phone to the iPad. Not sure if that is available, didn’t see one or if that would even work.
The screen mirroring should work though.
The tech savvy members must be at church this morning.

1 Like

One thing to consider is that our phones do not do stereo audio input via the headphone jack. If you have a headphone jack at all, then you have a single mono input, microphone voltage level, on only one of the bands of the 3.5mm phono plug.

Also, another thing to consider is a good amount of delay between input and output via Bluetooth. That’s not a big deal if you cannot also hear the source through the air, but if you can, it will sound like a terrible echo.

The tv streamer is a proprietary system with no perceptible delay. You could possibly connect the tv streamer to a portable rechargeable battery pack (like the travel chargers for phones).

How is the tv streamer powered? I’m interested in buying one, maybe from Costco, and it would be awesome if it could be powered via a 5V usb cable.

If you are talking about the TV Connector, then yes, it is powered by a 5 volt micro USB connector. Phonak doesn’t give out much in the way of details about how it operates, but when I looked up its FCC ID number, the data I saw looked an awful lot like bluetooth. There is something proprietary there though. The TV Connector doesn’t have latency as far as I can tell. But, any Bluetooth device I have ever tried with my Marvels did have considerable latency. Though I saw no mention of it, they may be using the APTx codec. This is a special codec developed for high fidelity audio. I have been looking for a Bluetooth streamer and earbuds that utilize it, but so far, haven’t found any. They should be pretty common soon.

I would not be surprised if it is Bluetooth but also a proprietary implementation; I’ve seen that done before. You can imagine a few components to the Bluetooth standard, pairing protocol, security protocol, transmission protocol, radio protocol, etc. Some proprietary wireless devices will communicate over the Bluetooth transmission and radio protocols, but forgo implementing the standard pairing part, and instead do some other pairing that is forced by both endpoints, so that the user never has to fiddle with getting the device to pair (or just have some kind of ‘open’ link). It’s my understanding that the TV streamer can broadcast to an unlimited number of HAs that support listening to a TV streamer (so it probably doesn’t ‘pair’, but just decodes a ‘connectionless’ BT stream).

Also, Bluetooth by itself is not inherently laggy, compared to some implementations we are used to, such as what we experience with our phones. But often these are due to other things happening in the device, like the processor doing other tasks concurrently. A device can be designed to only stream an audio signal via Bluetooth, and can therefore get the stream onto the airwaves very fast, while our HAs are also designed to process the BT stream very fast; put those both together and you have a relatively lag-free experience. However, another device that wasn’t designed with hearing impairment in mind might just use slower (cheaper) processor or be a multi-purpose platform (like our phones) that isn’t as fast at getting the stream into the air. 100 ms vs 10 ms makes all the difference in the world!

So it could just be that the TV Streamer uses Bluetooth radio and transmission protocol for its efficiency and compatibility, but uses a fast and dedicated processor to convert the audio and get it into the ‘air’ so quickly that we don’t notice much lag.

Not sure whether this is a helpful response or not. We have an iPad and Mac, but our phones are Android so I can’t try these suggestions out.

1 Like