KS8 Frequency Lowering and Self-Programming

I use NoahLink Wireless with Signia NX. Finished with Minipro and pills. Check their website for compatible hearing aids. KS8 is Rexton and compatible.

1 Like

Do you get any pushback from your audiologist when he finds out you’re programming your own aids?

I didn’t tell my audi I self program my own aids (the ones I bought from her), but I told her I heard that people do it themselves and she gave a surprising reaction that she didn’t know people could do that or should do that or if they were allowed to do it. Because of this reaction, I stopped short of telling her that I do it because i don’t want her to give me any trouble in case I need to make warranty claims through her.

That’s a pretty naive reaction from a hearing professional in my opinion. If they know their field enough, they should know that it’s doable, has been done by many, many users effectively, and if they (the pros) support it, it may help save THEM a lot of office time with their patients. It’s a win win for everybody if the patient is willing and able (knowledgeable) enough to do it.

How did you enter the baseline for a starting point? Did the software read the program from your aids. Did you need to input your audiogram?

Yes, I needed to enter the audiogram. When the aids are connected to my computer through the minipro, one of the options is to detect the hearing aids. When I chose that option, it reads all of the programming from the hearing aids. Regarding pushback from hearing aid fitter. I thought I answered elsewhere, but didn’t see it. Essentially no. The reaction was surprise and fascination, but I’d built up some credibility with her before I got the equipment and started programming.

You mentioned that you were using the Minipro but that if you did it again you would go to the Noahlink wireless. It seems that the Noahlink wireless is much more expensive. Is it worth the difference?

I said I would consider it. I would confirm that the aid I wanted could be programmed by it. I would also want to confirm that I thought the trend was still moving towards NoahLink Wireless. It would also depend on where I was getting my hearing aids from. Prices for NoahLink Wireless have been as low as $250 from online stores if you purchased hearing aids from them. Even without that it’s not that far apart. From ebay I see $329 for NL Wireless. Minipro is around $240 plus cables and connectors can add $70 or more so you’re over $300. It’s a decision that takes some thought, as does DIY programming. And to add, these aren’t the kind of things one buys and expects manufacturer support for (at least I don’t)

The mini Pro +cables and adapters are pretty close in price with Noahlink Wireless when you look in the right places. So cost is only a minor consideration.

Aside from price there are other more important considerations.

See How to choose a programming device to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY].

How did you know @DanTheMan was talking to you? From another thread?

1 Like

I guess I had read that the new version of Noahlink Wireless (whatever that is) was $600. I have also read that Noahlink Wireless only worked with aids which had BLE. I don’t think the KS8s have that?

Yes, from another thread… Not sure how, but I got an email notification.

There is only one version of Noahlink Wireless/Airlink 2 (same device). You should be able to get one for $250.

KS8’s are MFi. MFi uses BLE/Bluetooth Low Energy.

1 Like

Look at Page 10 of Kirkland Signature 8.0.pdf.

Page 10 says;

1 Like

I would like to hear from one of the readers who has programmed the KS8s using the Noahlink Wireless.

What makes you think there is such a person? You might be the first.

We know that KS8’s are self-programmable/Not-locked.

We know that the specs say you can use NoahLink Wireless.

We know that Costco fitters use Noahlink Wireless to program KS8’s. They do it all the time. Ask any KS8 wearer.

That may not be good enough for you? It’s good enough for me.

I don’t want to be first. I want someone else to try it. I’m in no hurry…

Okay, send me a pair of KS8’s and I will try it for you :wink:
Click image for a larger view;

If you were only in Georgia I might consider it. Maybe you have heard how stubborn we “rednecks” are… seriously, since you are so knowledgeable about Noahlink Wireless: do you need to remove the aids from your ears when you program them this way? I seem to recall Costco did that even with the Noahlink wireless. Another question: why do you have all the other wires shown in your picture. I understand the USB stuff.

Use the magnifying glass/search to find info on each component;

I think I can answer the NoahLink Wireless part. The aids need to be removed from your ears to link to the NoahLink Wireless. They need to be right in front of the device to link up. Once linked up, you can put them on your ears. This is based on my experience with Signia NX Charge&Go. I got the feeling that for some other brands it wasn’t necessary to remove the aids from ears to link up.