KS10: Only hearing telecoil phone in one ear

I still use a landline. My audiologist at Costco aded the “Phone via T-coil and mic” as a manual program. to my KS10s. My landline phone has a telecoil, but when I put the phone to my ear and change to the t-coil program, the sound is definitely clearer and louder, but it is only in that one ear. Does something need to be set to have the sound go to both aids?

I am not sure about your KS10s but that is the way it works for my More1 aids when I use the t-coils for my home phone calls.

Thanks, cvkemp. I was under the impression that they could be set up so that I would hear in both aids. The t-coil definitely helps, but both ears would be better!

1 Like

I definitely agree that hearing a call in both ears is better.

@jackmarp2

Activating the Phone via t coil won’t send it to both ears. Your Audi will have to click the button to activate DuoPhone.

1 Like

Thanks, Zebras! I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow and I’ll ask her to do that. Are there any reasons to not activate Duophone?

@jackmarp2

I use DuoPhone and really like it. Only downside is DuoPhone won’t allow you to turn Mics off but you can attenuate the Mics by 30 dB.

Turning the Mics off is good for telecoil which is annoying that you can’t, coz then you only hear who’s on the phone but attenuating the Mics by 30 dB is still good.

Thanks again, Zebras! That’s exactly what I needed to know.

@Zebras do you know where in the Target software you turn on DuoPhone? I have the software but mainly to be better informed when I visit my audi. I can’t find that in there.

@jackmarp2

Can’t think off hand what’s it’s called but it’s the part where NoiseBlock, WindBlock is etc.

Just be aware tho that I don’t have the latest Phonak Aids so it might be difference.

@jackmarp2

I’ve just had a horrible thought and thought someone else couldn’t find it either. I think it’s been taken out of the latest Target.

I did see the NoiseBlock, WindBlock, etc. but no DuoPhone. I have a training session setup in Target for Paradise P90s but no DuoPhone is listed in that section. The Phonak brochure does show DuoPhone as an option for the P90 though.

I didn’t know there was a separate program for “Phone via T-coil + mic,” but I just added it to my KS10.0T aids using Target, but I hear the sound only in the left ear. I see an “Enable DuoTel” checkbox in the Acoustic Phone program but not in the “Phone via T-coil + mic” program.

Thanks, @Z300M. I looked at Acoustic Phone and I see the DuoPhone option is there. I wonder why it is not available with t-coil. Strange.

A little murky for me here but does the Acoustic Phone work by a magnet activating the telecoil in the aid and holding the handset speaker up to the aid mic and the Duotel option would copy over to the other side? I haven’t played with that in a long time so I don’t remember.

Duophone for telecoil has been removed since the Marvel platform.

I was surprise to see it gone when I upgraded to the Paradise model. But I found for me, that the Bluetooth is far superior over the t-coil using the phone.

Can’t help specifically with respect to KS10s, but my headsets only have telecoil in one ear piece, but my (nine year old) Phonak BTEs produce the sound in both ears. So there must be a HA function to do so. It would be much harder if the sound was only in one HA.

Note I’m using a dedicated T-coil program setting which cuts off the HA microphone.

Replying to myself…

Correction: I hear the phone only in the ear to which I hold it, whether that is the left ear or the right ear.

I’m disappointed that the aids don’t automatically switch into the T-coil program when I have a small magnet attached to the phone by the earpiece.