Kirkland 9.0 vs. Resound One vs. Phonak Paradise

I am nearing the time I need to return the Kirkland 9.0 hearing aids if I’m not happy with them.

I have an appointment with an audiologist to fit for a pair of Resound to test for a couple weeks ($350 to do this).

So the list of my ‘concerns’ with the Kirklands:

• Not sure it is helping my high frequency hearing issues. My wife hears various appliance hi pitch alarms, and I don’t
  • They seem to just amplify, which is noticeable in noisy places, ie. restaurants. Dish and silverware clacking is quite noticeable and I’m not sure hearing is any better in that situation
  • BT connectivity: works great to phone, not so well if I hook to a computer. Interestingly, when I get in the car which has BT for phone connection, the Kirkland will automatically hook to the car, then back to the phone when car is turned off…this is a good thing. But hooking to my PC is hit or miss, and even when it hooks, the connection comes and goes
  • I still misunderstand people and TV, when my wife understands it perfectly. That of course is a problem with high pitch hearing loss, and I had expected these aids to compensate for that (Frequency shifting?)

Summary of issues: I’m not sure they are doing for me what I was hoping. Although I’m wondering if my occasional not understanding people is just part of life…but then when my wife understands it, I’m thinking in that instance I should rightfully expect the HA to make it understandable for me. I will say, I would hate to lose the auto hook/unhook to the car.

I have a friend that got some Resounds (not sure what model) about the same time I got my Kirklands. He loves them. He told me when he goes into a restaurant, he can press a button on the HA and it quiets the noise. I found that interesting.

I have done a bit of research, if I understood what I’ve read correctly, the Resound Ones are a bit of a pain when wanting to hook BT to various devices, whereas the Phonak Paradise is not. They seemed equal as far as hearing functionality. I will say that the microphone in the ear with the Resound sounds intriguing. Of course, I’m not sure if it’s that much help or not.

Thoughts?

All hearing aids should be capable of reaching the high frequency sounds that you speak of, let alone the Kirkland 9. It’s a bit like asking the question which car is capable of 100 m.p.h - mercedes v audi v lexus? - well, all of them. Your problem here is maybe the fit. Did you have real ear measurement?

You may switch to another aid and find that it is better, but again, it might be because of the fit.

With respect to the bluetooth operation on the PC - it might be because of the bluetooth protocol on the computer that it does not disengage automatically. If you stick with the Kirkland or the Paradise I would recommend using a TV-Connector for the PC- which is a fantastic device that operates with less energy consumption.

You need to post your loss - is it just a high frequency loss? Also, I do not understand your list of hearing aids? Is this the list recommended by your audiologist? On what basis is this list compiled? Bluetooth functionality? Your perception of the latest and greatest? Why isn’t Oticon in this list?

As for your comment “they just seem to amplify” - quite honestly - that just sets off alarm bells - you probably have a rubbish fit and if so you need urgent re-programming.

2 Likes

Audiogram would definitely be helpful, but more important is your word recognition scores. If they’re bad, you might be expecting too much of hearing aids. Depending on your loss, the KS9 should be able to do just fine. Computer bluetooth issues could likely be resolved with a BT dongle.
Getting hearing aids that work involves working with your hearing aid fitter.

Three thoughts:

1.) If you don’t already have a Phonak TV Connector, you should get one or more. For me it’s been a game changer for watching TV. It’s $100 from Costco, as I recall, but you need to call them first because they don’t stock them generally.
2.) You should be able to have your aids adjusted to get you more high frequency, if that’s desirable.
3.) The issue with paring to your PC is likely the fault of the computer–Bluetooth audio doesn’t seem consistent for some reason (at least in my experience). But a TV connector would resolve this nicely.

1 Like

And unless your friend has completely identical loss like you, all db gains, and wrs and snr for each ear, his review of any aid is useless to you.

How well is expected you do in quiet, is determined by your wrs. That number says how much your cochlear damage messes up your brain’s ability to decipher the message correctly. No aids can repair your wrs. You can learn your brain to get a bit more out of the mess by receiving not only amplified sound but clean as possible. But we’re talking +10/20 with a lot of training (so, intentional listening and repeating for example).

KS9s definitely have an option to adjust to noisy situations automatically and it’s significant. But, if you were fitted poorly, which could happen with costco unfortunately but rarely, all your issues lie there.

Go back and ask for another fitter and redoing the fitting.

Pity that you waited for so long. Maybe returning them and buying them again to have a proper trial with good fit could be possible if you politely ask for it?
Because you need weeks and months to really get the most out of them and take notes and go back to your fitter to tweak, and you work together.

Hello, it’s helpful to read about your experience with Kirkland. May I ask if you took hearing aid prescription to Costco when you bought Kirkland? I’m asking because in my local community, not that many HA consumers seem to be aware of HA prescription.

Any time you buy hearing aids the audiologist/fitter will test your hearing for your audiogram. This audiogram is used to build your fitting prescription.

I went to hearing aid dispenser with a recent audiogram from a ENT doctor. Hearing aid dispense did her own audiogram on me. However the hearing aid dispenser is requiring me to sign a waiver for them to sell me the HA without a prescription. So this makes me think I need to go back to ENT doctor and pay to get a hearing aid prescription and then go to hearing aid dispenser which is the reason that made me wonder if the post starter had a HA prescription.