Keeping HA's in

I live in florida and now that it is hot and humid it is hard to keep my open end domes from sliding out… I have tried many different sizes but with the same result…they slide partly out… would molds help and would that cause occlusion? I’ve read that they make molds with holes in them to stop occlusion? I haven’t talked to my audi yet, wanted to see if anyone has any ideas…thx in advance

Here is a very long discussion we had on that topic. But the short answer is “yes.” Custom molds is the way to go. Concha locks are an additional option with those, which is covered in the link. The hole is called a vent. A bigger vent means less occlusion, but also affects the aid’s sound and possible feedback. How big you can make the vent depends on your loss, which we are currently not aware of because it’s not in your signature (hint).

INFO: about a month ago I posted about my domes always sliding out… my audi just had me try ZIP tips and they work great no more constantly pushing them back in my ears

^^^ What is a zip tip? Is that like a “leash” that attaches to RIE aids? I use to have that on my Oticon OPNs. However, I can TOTALLY relate to the sweaty/extrusion issue here. I often travel to humid places, and have found that my hard case Oticon Agil Pro aids DO extrude with humidity. There is no leash to attach to this style of ITE aid. On top of which, in hotter, humid climates (Japan, HI, India) my ear canals swell up, so the hard plastic aids just won’t seat right. I try to jam them in and not only does it HURT, but I get the irritating leaky-squeaky feedback issue from poor seal.

THANK GOD I have two pairs of aids: the others are Oticon OPN REI with soft, silicone double-domes. I actually start every day with these aids in; as the day progresses, if weather and humidity allow, I sometimes switch to the Agil Pro aids, which provide a more natural sound to me.

I’ve heard of more flexible ITE aids (or were they just ear plugs?). But this is what we need for aids! We need a case that is water resistant, NON-ALLERGENIC, and soft/flexible for a good seal and comfortable fit. Invent that and reap millions, cuz we are all getting older and deafer. I sometimes wonder how hearing aids have not progressed to the level of comfort like a pair of shoes even! Imagine if we all had to clomp around in wooden shoes f’instance. So why oh why do we get HARD plastic hearing aid cases - half of which I am allergic to even tho they are so-called “hypo-allergenic”? Yes the domes are far more comfy, but they are only for BTE aids, with the mic pointing up at the ceiling. GREAT for conversation comprehension when the person is in front of me and not floating on the ceiling. But I digress …

What is “Zip tips”?

here is a web-site to take a look at them… my audi had me try them instead of making molds … I dont know if it’s something new? you can get them solid or vented… he did have to make minor adjustents to volume and treble/bass for me but they work great for me http://www.centuryhearingaids.com/ziptip-hearing-aid-tips.html

^^^^ That is VERY interesting! I had bought a pair of soft, sponge-like comfort domes a few months ago. I loved how comfortable they felt in my ears. They completely wrapped around that hard, matchstick-shaped receiver on my Oticon OPNs. Only prob was that the material allowed a lot of “leakage” making it impossible for me to hear anyone on the phone. So I removed them and put my soft silicone double-domes on the receivers. These are great for wearing first thing in the morning when my ear canals are a bit swollen, but they do not provide the same level of comfort as the foam tips.

I will seriously ask my aud-guy about these zip tips! If he could tweak my aids to work with them, they’d be fabulous. I just hope I wouldn’t be allergic to the material. For some reason, my ear canals are THE MOST sensitive skin on my body, reacting to just about anything but the flesh-colored, hard plastic mold material. I have no idea why that is.

Thanks for that link, Ureout!

I just engaged in a short on-line chat with customer service on that website. I wanted to know how you know what size to order. He said he will have to check with some other folks there, and they will email me. If I find anything out I will come back and post it here.

I’ve loved the way my molds stay put as opposed to my domes always slipping out, but I really don’t care for the hardness, and I broke one carrying them in my pocket. I’m really interested in these tips.

when I did the on-line chat I couldn’t get any info either… luckily my audi knew about them and just ordered some…I think he told me they only come in 2 sizes and I’m wearing the smaller size and they are vented… they fit very snuggly and never move…I cant imagine trying to fit a bigger size in

^^^^ OK, then my next question is: do these zip tips fit OVER a receiver? Would they fit on a size 85 Oticon Opn receiver f’instance? I printed out a picture of what the zip tip looks like from that link given. So at least I get the general idea that they seem to fit like a cup in the ear. So I’m hoping that a receiver would be poked into that cup, which would then sit snugly in the ear’s doorway?

How the hell can you break a mold in your pocket?

Concha Lock snapped off.

So, here was the email exchange with Century Hearing Aids:

HI,

I understand you are inquiry about zip tips. The sizes are as follows:

Small, 5mm
Medium, 7mm
Large, 10mm

Average size ear is medium if you have a smaller or bigger ear size up or down. The zip tips have options if you have a behind the ear model, open fit, or receiver in the canal. They should fit your aid, they are not only meant for our aids. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Happy Hearing,

Michelle
CenturyHearingAids
Customer Support Team, 1-888-295-2944 | Let us cut out the middleman!

I guess I would feel more comfortable placing my order if there was a more definitive way to know the correct size. Especially since they are non-refundable.

I think I will just go to Costco and get some traditional custom molds.

Thank you

No problem, please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Happy Hearing,

Michelle
CenturyHearingAids
Customer Support Team, 1-888-295-2944 | Let us cut out the middleman!

^^^^ OK, then my next question is: do these zip tips fit OVER a receiver? Would they fit on a size 85 Oticon Opn receiver f’instance? I printed out a picture of what the zip tip looks like from that link given. So at least I get the general idea that they seem to fit like a cup in the ear. So I’m hoping that a receiver would be poked into that cup, which would then sit snugly in the ear’s doorway?

yes the receiver slides up into the tip…if you look closely at the pic. you will see 2 holes… 1 is for the receiver and the other is a vent hole

ask Costco about them…maybe they will start carrying them

Yea, I just made an appointment at Costco for next Tuesday. I’ll be sure to bring this up.

Have you got sports locks fitted to the receivers? They will give extra retention without having to change your tips

GREAT!! Yes, I did notice the 2 holes. I’ll bring my printout AND the comfy foam tips to my aud-guy to see what he thinks. In particular, the zip tips seem like they’d provide a really good seal, which would be of HUGE benefit to me with my loss curve, and need for a power receiver.

info. on zip tips… unfortunately the zip tips didn’t last long for me… when they were new they worked great… after about a month I noticed they started to curl up on the outside edges and then close up when wearing them… I don’t know if it had anything to do with the florida heat but they lasted about 6 / 7 weeks…I even tried trimming the edges back, then the hole that the receiver fits in became distorted and receiver and tube would slide out…I just left audi 's office…having soft molds made up

Are these zip tips suitable for the narrow tubing on in-ear dome type HAs? Or are they only to replace moulds so therefore only suitable for the wider tubing?