K-amp to Virtue 1200's for ZCT

6,000hz is a very narrow frequency response, most aids now up to 8,000
and some of the high end even over 10,000hz

the benefits of an large bandwith are now clear

Yes I agree, 6K is too low for a modern hi fi aid. Minimum should be 8 and I’d be happier with 10 or even 12k.

I’m not sure if 6K is the highest frequency the America Hears can handle, I think that’s just what their program is allowing. I am planning on doing some personal tone scans to see exactly how hi these things can go. In the future I hope they will extend their bandwidth if I am disappointed in what I find out.

6k is low if you consider (i believe i read that an ordinary phone has a freq. response of 5k)…

But they are bound to get better… or they will disapear…

Most manufacturers I think are still scoffing at the idea that bandwidth needs to be improved, but as more patients become educated I think they will have to pay attention and change their ways.

Some of the members in this community has demonstrated that component wise, hearing aids are not that expensive to built. Most prof. would agree, there are benefits of an increase bandwith, most highend instruments in some form or another have @ least 8 to 10k.
So for america Hears, it should not be to difficult to upgrade their receiver for a higher bandwith…

Now, for example, the Gn resound Ziga which is a entry level aid features most if not all the features of the america Hears, their directional systems also need to be upgrades to a adaptative multiband directionality…

If you compare a GN ziga for example Vs America Hears, there should not be a hughe difference…

It is clear that last year (AAA or EUHA) most manf. had introduced High end products, this year AAA some (unitron/Oticon) had also launch mid end products, so it should be expected that with in 1 yrs some entry level instruments having automatic directionality; noise reduction etc. would be
introduce… this would preasure america hears for better technology…

Hopefully they would upgrade their products to offer an attractive solution for those members who wish to do their own tweaking… Certainly an interesting option

I did buy my OpenEar hearing aids from Hearsource.com http://www.hearsource.com.

I found them after they repaired my old Siemens hearing aids. My audiologist had advised me that my old aids could not be repaired. HearSource repaired them for $99 each. They sounded great when I got them back. So much for not being able to be repaired. :confused:

When I was on their website I saw the FreeStyle hearing aid. It had similar features to the ones that my audi had recommended to me, but for only $995 each. Several months later (Sep.08) I did purchase hearing aids from HearSource. Now I know that many will ask, “How can hearing aids be adjusted properly if purchased over the internet?” The answer is that I adjust them myself. They provided me with the software, programming box, cables, etc. so I can do it myself. The first time I tried to adjust them I had a HearSource “Coach” help me. I am now comfortable with the process and I do it totally by myself.

I know I hear better than I ever have before with any hearing aid, because I am the one doing the adjusting.

First I saved money by having my Siemens hearing aids repaired (when I was told they could not be repaired) instead of buying new ones. Secondly, when I did purchase new hearing aids I bought them for less that $2,000, and now do the fine tuning myself.

As far as the specs go, they are available on their website.

My Grand Mother could or would not be able to do this without my help, but I can. Good luck. :smiley:

The usual problem with obtaining large bandwidths is the limits of the technology to provide a receiver with high power output, large bandwidths, tiny size, low distortion, reliability in a difficult environment (moisture and acids), high output at the lower frequencies, and on and on. Knowles though, has recently come out with some amazing new receivers allowing the mfg’s to build aids with outputs in the 8 to 10khz region. Ed