Just pondering and reflecting

Thinking about what annoys me in some posts, a lot of it relates to criticizing something that the person posting has no personal experience with and typically no sources are cited. I realize I likely do this myself and I’m sure it’s equally annoying. Just food for thought.

7 Likes

Or the ones that get upset that your experience is different than their experience. I have to say I have been guilty of that at times.

3 Likes

I too find it frustrating when members criticize without experience or education to facts.

We should be helping and supporting each other, not criticizing or belittling one another.

8 Likes

As someone relatively new to hearing aids going into my second year. I now nothing about most there except my Costco ReSound Forte 8 / Linx 3D, and I trial some Widex for two days and Starkey for two days, set to my audiogram and nothing more. Then has some Oticons for an hour and walked around the shopping mall.

I laugh at how those who have had hearing aids for longer times and maybe had two or three brands try to explain everything to questions about hearing aids they have never worn, and of course button sequences, programs, phone apps can vary greatly, yet they offer advice like experts.

I find well over the half the posts in a thread totally irrelevant to that thread subject. That is why I post so little and only about topics I know I know for certain.

3 Likes

I do a good bite of volunteer work with the VA clinic here in the area, I try to explain to every one that we all hear differently. Even the ones with the same hearing loss have different needs and envorinments that they deal with. So what works for me may not work for anyone else. And what works for you may not work for anyone else. What is important is to find what works for you, and make sure that your Audi does his/her very best to get the aids adjusted for you. For me that has meant that the prescription setting is only the starting point, and a lot of adjustments later they are where I need them. While I am use to Oticon I have friends with hearing loss almost like mine that cannot stand them. So again we are who we are. The key is patience and finding out what works for you.

4 Likes

I think most posters On here try to help their fellow hearing impaired as best they can, there advice might be good, bad or indifferent… That being said, for me personal experiences will far outweigh academia in my book any day, “opinions are like a$$holes we have all got one!“ as stated before each individual person whom frequents this site will not have the same loss, they might be close on their audiogram but they will never be the same, especially so when you throw tinnitus, recruitment or maybe distortion in the mix, along with your likes or dislike of certain manufacturers because we are individuals! But what I will say is this site is a wealth of information and I have learned a lot…cheers Kev

3 Likes

When you have been wearing hearings for a few years like me(15), and other that have been wearing aids even longer you will more likely change your mind, as I did. The books are good starting point but then there is the real facts, that we are all different and our needs are very different from the books. Back in about 2009, I got new aids from the Veterans Administration and my Audi was a very young Dr. of Audiology right out of school she was learning the real world of Audiology as I was learning more about my hearing and hearing aids. The aids she recommended to me was my third set of aids and my first Oticon aids. When I left the area and the clinic she was at in 2018 we both had learned a lot and both became much better at know what was the best. I hated to leave because she at helped me so much in learning my hearing needs, and she gave me a huge hug because I had pushed her to become a much better Dr. of Audiology. In November of 2018 I was indroduced to my new Audi and a wonderful friend. My aids that he recommended and the ones I have now are my third set of Oticon aids, and the best aids yet that I have had. With that said, I had to as they say break in my new Audi and over the months, I believe 16 months now I have my aids repaired once and rebuild once, and over that time I have had about 10 or 12 adjustments done on the aids. But it has been well worth it. As my Audi as learned a lot about my needs and I have also learned a lot more about my needs. My Audi at my last appointment thinked me for pushing him, to get my aids right, as he had to dig and learn about the aids himself. So learn as you go and you will be a better patient and you will hear so much better for it.

4 Likes

Thank you CV, Been using using aids for some 30 years or so… I was a deaf support worker, tutor in deaf awareness, installer of environmental equipment for big D and little d, level 2 signer in BSL, I can and do sometimes program my own aids, I have Noahlink wireless, iCube and Target software, my wife was a social worker for the Deaf for some 25 years or so I think I might know a little about the practical side of hearing aids and hearing loss, but I do not profess to know everything, but I am experienced enough to offer an opinion which might be wrong or it may be right… over the years I have known dozens of qualified audiologists and dispensers some of whom I regard as friends and others I regard as absolutely useless, but that is my opinion of them and other folk might find they were absolutely wonderful audiologists. Cheers Kev;-)

3 Likes

User1: I have brand X and I can’t follow speech in noise.
User2: I don’t know what you’re doing 'cause I have brand X and I don’t have any issues.

smacks head against wall a few times.

7 Likes

It is just the reality of hearing loss due to our hearing loss differences. I have said it over and over we all hear differently and we all have different needs. What works for one doesn’t work for others.

3 Likes

Very well stated!
I’ve learned so much here. There is so much to learn and Share and this is the best site. Thank you all.

3 Likes

I try to not get agitated by anything I read here. The folks here are way more polite than some I have encountered on other forums. I guess my pet peeve is folks who look at my audiogram and think they know exactly what I need to do to hear well. It took a while for me to realize that my issues were different to those of others, and so my aids need to be adjusted differently. Audiologists seem to be among the biggest offenders in this area. And, since they have that title after their name, arguing is of no use. I am still not convinced that aids will help my hearing enough for me to lead what might be called a “normal” life. I have learned a lot by reading the various posts on this forum, and find it entertaining as well. As has been previously stated, most folks here just want to help.

4 Likes

sometimes with have to keep after that Audi until he/she says uncle.

I am far less tolerant than most here and do not react well to stupidity. But the single thing that bothers me the most here are those who abuse, and suggest others abuse, the trial periods that providers allow. There are obviously some here that “trial” with no intention of buying. That to me is pure sleeze and I’m surprised the moderators tolerate it.

1 Like

Some users are misled by sellers (to wit: where I bought mine) stating aids will restore normal hearing. Aids will NOT! They will assist in helping those with hearing loss. Hearing capabilities of the 20s and 30s can not! be restored. I wear the best, most recent aids (read expensive) and am happy with them. Particularly with the current smart phone connectability features. Without my aids, the world is silent.

2 Likes

Too many people want to/like being a victim. Time to grow up. If you can’t take the heat stay out of the kitchen. Stop the PC Crap. This is just banter. The DELETE button is always available. I despise CNN, I change the channel, problem solved.
I see a tremendous amount of support, more than other sites.

1 Like

I think the reason you see more support than other sites is that we have strong moderators and members who don’t tolerate negativity.

5 Likes

Your reply just contradicted your original post.

we do not need that on this forum

3 Likes

Being a Provider (although retired now) I look at this forum a little differently. That said, I am impressed with the knowledge and intelligence of many of the members, some other members not so much. I totally agree with the comment regarding trialing aids with no intention to buy. Many practices have an hourly cost to keep the doors open of $200 - 250/hour and a frivolous trial just eats into their operating revenue. I am all for trials though, when I owned my practice I offered a 60 day money back return privilege for any reason. I operated like a pet store, take the puppy home and fall in love with it. Some of the “know-it-alls” are apparently smarter than me because I have been in the industry since 1976 and am still learning (currently keeping my licenses up in two states). Good information here, but remember that sometimes the advice you get is worth exactly what you paid for it.

6 Likes