Just got Oticon Vigo, my voice now sounds nasal

Hi, I’ve worn analog hearing aids ever since I was 6. I’m now 25, and today I got my first pair of digital hearing aids, the Oticon Vigo. I have a mild-to-moderate loss, and I’m not quite sure what my percentage of loss is on each ear. But generally I only wore my hearing aids in situations where it wouldn’t be appropriate to constantly say “what did you say”? all the time. I would hear people but not always understand them. I’m sure you guys know what I mean.

Anyway, I got my new open-fit Vigos today and was expecting an adjustment, since I’ve worn analog all my life. Well, so far I like the way things sound…except my own voice! It sounds very flat and nasal and seems to be coming from the front of my nose and face (before, my voice sounded like it was coming from all directions). Also, when i talk with my Vigos on, I feel like I have to speak louder and work harder in order to hear my own voice! It’s very tiring. Overall, the general quality of the sounds I hear is very flat and lacks the deep rich tones I had before with my old analogs…even though I hear better with the Vigos. It’s like going to iTunes or any music player and making all the settings on the equalizer flat and equal…so I’m not getting any bass, just high, flat treble. my voice also sounds really breathy when I talk…it’s so weird.

I was wondering if that nasal voice quality is something other people have experienced to some degree…or if there’s just something wrong with my hearing aids. I asked my family and the audiologist and they all said my voice does not sound nasal to them…so it’s the hearing aids. Is this just a feature of digital hearing aids? Is it the fact that the Vigos are open-fit and I’m no longer wearing a mold?

Thanks for any suggestions, I’m still very excited about how well I can hear other sounds (just not my own voice, lol). :smiley:

i suggest to have them fit as dsl adult…
i would say ask your audi to go under fine tuning- there is an specific tab about your own voice where your audi can fine tune the aids…

i would say give the aids a try before you decide to fine tune them…

With open fit aids you are going to get less low frequencies than you are used to (and the low frequencies are what give your own voice the sensation of loudness), so you will need to take a little bit of time to get used to the new aids. The more you wear them, the faster that will take place. I recommend reading out loud to yourself for 30 min a day…it doesn’t matter what material you pick, it’s just retraining your brain to hear with the new hearing aid.

Your audiologist can add some more low frequencies to help you adapt faster, but there will be a limit to how much lows can be added. You might also be getting more highs than you did before, so that can be contributing to how things sound to you.

FWIW I’ve recently started using a pair of Vigos, and haven’t had the problem you describe. They are the first pair I’ve owned so I don’t have anything else to compare to but my voice seemed normal right from the start.
The tech set them up to match my high end loss so everything sounds a bit tinny but I hope that will go away after I’ve worn them for a few months.
I really like the digital volume adjustment. It was one of the main selling points for me over the Rexton units at Costco.